4.0 out of 5 stars good start for me, March 20, 2010
This review is from: What Every Professional Organizer Needs to Know About Hoarding (Paperback)
Believe it or not, i am interested in becoming a professional organizer. My own house has been my first project and my dad's is next (he asked me). I had two relatives , now deceased, that I can now see were classic hoarders. I wish I had known enough to help them. I'm trying to learn all I can about organizing, clutterbusting and hoarding. I think the book is useful and the author knows what she is talking about. I would have given it 5 stars except for a few things: I agree with the other reviewer that the editing is very poor and gives the book an amateurish look, although it is not. I would have liked the book to have more substance, maybe be longer. The author also pushes her own organization every chance she gets. This may be justifiable; I have a lot more research to do. She is right about getting things in writing and using forms. She probably also should have suggested having your own attorney. As it happens, I am an attorney, I may be able to take care of these things myself, but not everyone will. I see this as a great second, part time, or post retirement career. This book is full of good practical suggestions and I particularly liked the author's repeated statements about respecting the client, their things, and their home. I'm likely to read more of Judith Kolberg's books and everything else I can find. This is a book from the organizer's point of view, which was also a great help to me. I think as a reformed messy person, I may be able to help others. I'm glad I read this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good resource but needs serious grammar edit, February 26, 2010
This book offers very solid advice on dealing with those suffering from a hoarding problem. The author has clearly done extensive research and offers sound strategies to benefit not only organizing professionals, but also family members, authorities and health-care practitioners.

My only gripe is that the book appears never to have been copy-edited. The author has a penchant for misusing commas, either adding them indiscriminately and with abandon throughout her text or dropping them where they should appear. These glaring grammatical mistakes are plentiful enough to signify a true breakdown in the editing process. The grammar problem is, quite simply, a major distraction from what is otherwise a very competent, informative work.

Perhaps the poor editing is the fault of the publisher. Perhaps the author herself is to blame. Either way, someone needs to take a red marker to this book immediately.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, December 2, 2013
It shows the insight to a hoarders mind and how to not take things personally when the hoarder disagrees with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, March 6, 2013
very imformative for me to understand hoarding as i am trying to start my own business as a profesional organizer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for those who want to deal with hoarding, August 30, 2011
Good book for those who want to deal with hoarding issues from the perspective of professional organizing. You love organize as a hobbie or as a career you'll need this material.

What Every Professional Organizer Needs to Know About Hoarding
What Every Professional Organizer Needs to Know About Hoarding by Judith Kolberg (Paperback - February 4, 2009)
$14.95 $13.46