Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on February 27, 2012
I found this book almost entirely irrelevant and in sore need of update. Nowadays, many states have "no fault" divorce (e.g., Colorado), the men's movement has changed culture, and MANY women are career women who are the main bread-winners of the family. This book takes NONE of that effectively into account. Therefore, the book was a total waste of money and time for me. I do not recommend it for any career woman and dedicated mother who is the bread-winner and in a position to need to pay maintenance, lose significant assets, AND lose parenting time despite being BOTH primary parent and primary breadwinner. This book needs to catch up with the times.
on December 12, 1998
What Every Woman Should Know About Divorce and Custody by Gayle Rosenwald Smith, J.D. and Sally Abrahms, is an essential resource for women in the process of going through a divorce, as well as for those contemplating divorce and even post-divorce, when custody and child support issues continue to resurface. It tells it like it is, in a clear, concise manner. This book will be a real eye-opener to those entering the process, and provide new insights to those immersed in, and even theoretically beyond the process. Many lawyers treat the divorce process like an on-going game, which the legal system enables. This process can victimize women, in particular. The best defense a woman can have is to be well-informed and well-prepared for the battle, which many (ex)spouses choose to wage. Every woman involved in a divorce, regardless of her lawyers ability and reputation, owes it to herself to become educated about the process, the potential problems, and helpful strategies. That is the essence of What Every Woman Should Know About Divorce and Custody offers. If there is one book that a woman going through a divorce needs, this is it. This book will likely become a repeatedly consulted reference throughout most womens divorce and custody process.
on August 21, 2000
I didn't know where to even begin the divorce/custody process, but this book gave me the confidence to make the first appointment with the lawyer. It helped me not feel like such a "victim" and I felt much more knowledgeable and prepared. I didn't feel so much like I was at risk for being "led by the nose" by my lawyer, and it was indispensable in helping me stand up to the tactics of my husband. Everyone woman in a divorce situation should read this, especially those with children.
on February 22, 2004
This is the most thorough and informative book on divorce issues that I have read. As a divorce attorney, I am always curious to know what other attorneys are thinking. Ms. Smith's perspective and commentary mirror much of my own experiences and conclusions. The book is easy to read and filled with relevant, realistic examples and practical advice. I highly recommend this book to both nonlawyers, who have a reason to learn about this subject and to lawyers so they can refine and expand their knowedge of the divorce process.
on April 10, 2003
This book was an indispensable guide during my divorce and custody process. My husband had a better lawyer, but the knowledge I gained from this book was an equalizer.
on May 28, 1999
I am soon to be beginning the process. I will be initiating it. I read this book to gain insite into a woman's perspective and possible strategies.
I guess if you haven't read or learned much, this book can have some tremendous value. If you're somewhat knowledgeable about the process, it is good, but not the end all.
One thing to remember, only 1-2% of all divorce cases are tried in court. Yes, judges approve them, but the real work is with the lawyers.
It's clearly worth it price.
on September 12, 2005
Well written, easy to understand with loads of advice and comfort for those going through the challenges of a custody battle. The author shares some of her own experiences and leaves you with a feeling of hopeful optimism. I consider this a must-read for any parent going through a divorce. I thought that her comments on dressing for court and behavior during separation were common sense, but perhaps there are some readers who would need to understand better how their image and demeanor affect a judge's perception of them as a parent. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone trying to gain custody of their children.
on October 13, 1999
This book is an indispensable tool for any woman who is facing (or contemplating) a divorce with custody issues and who doesn't know how to even begin the process. It's a "comfort" book in the sense that it is precise and reassuring--almost a roadmap to follow-- especially when life seems out of control. This manual is a great resource to share with friends.
on April 10, 2003
What a pleasure to find a practical and informative guide to give to women going through divorce and custody battles. As a clinical social worker who sees the ugly side all too often, it is a relief to give women a thoughtful and clearly written book that will empower them with extremely useful and practical advice at a very emotional time in their lives. Thanks to the authors!
on March 22, 2013
Organized in a useful, easy to read manner AND it gave the information I needed to prepare myself in court. The most useful parts of the book for me where the specific cases at the very beginning of the book. They painted a picture and gave me ideas about HOW to prove my case in court. That said, you also need a good lawyer who knows the LAWS and what judges in your area will consider when making a decision about awarding custody.

You need to know the LAWS in your area and how the system works, but this book will assist you in helping your lawyer prepare and what information/tools may or may not be useful. Remember, the judge needs to back up his or her decision with evidence.