4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting new reading experience
Every You, Every Me surprised me, but in a good way. I'd never read a book with photographs before this one, at least, not a book where the photographs are an integral part of the story, so I had no idea what to expect, but I ended up really enjoying it.

Published on February 23, 2012 by Jasmine Baggenstos

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Concept...
Published on January 30, 2012 by Liolania

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting new reading experience, February 23, 2012
This review is from: Every You, Every Me (Hardcover)

Every You, Every Me should have been confusing. There are strikethroughs throughout the story of everything from Evan's thoughts to fake conversation. You would think that something like that may trip you up and having you rereading things just to make sure you know what's going on, but I never found myself confused. Evan's thoughts can also go from past to present with absolutely no transition at all, but it's written in such a way that you know exactly what's going on.

The thriller/mystery aspect was also done really well. As I was reading I had thoughts of what may have happened and what may be going on, but I could never say for sure until Levithan spelled it out for me. I love the subject this takes on. Not just the missing friend, but also the...well, I'll let you read to find that one out. It's not something I see very often in books and I'm pretty sure I've never personally read anything about it.

Final Thoughts: This was a good, quick read. It's definitely worth taking a look into if you've never read anything with photographs before. Heck, you should pick it up even if you think you hate books with photographs in them because, well, look at the author. Seriously though, Every You, Every Me exceeded all my expectations and had me flipping pages to find out what would happen next.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Concept..., January 30, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As a fellow writer, I can appreciate this book from that perspective, as I always strive for authenticity, if I weren't an author myself, I'm not sure I would enjoy this book quite as much, as I more enjoyed it for the literary approach than anything else. It also should be noted that I read a ARC edition, so the photos were not in full color like the one you will buy or find at your library. :)

I actually tend to write in a very stream,-of-consciousness style myself, so this doesn't bother me, and I really loved the idea of revolving a story around pictures that someone else took and gave to you (whether original or not). The crossed-out text did not bother me, in a way, it added to the authenticity, as when I was a teenager and I journaled, I did the EXACT same thing because I was very upset sometimes at things I wrote, I even tore pages out sometimes actually, and ripped them to tiny little pieces. So, in terms of authenticity, I think this book is spot on. The emotions are raw, and Evan definitely feels like a real person, whether or not he is likeable is another matter, but he is definitely authentic. I don't feel its always necessary to like a main character, do you like everyone you meet in real life? No. But as long as you can connect to them on an emotional level, for me, is what matters.

This may or may not cut it for you, but I found the mystery surrounding the Ariel very intriguing (even if at times obvious) and it got me interested in reading his other books, as this is my first Levithan book.

This is targeted at teens, so its not likely their going to enjoy it for its literary aspects, and its probably more than a little too angsty for some adults taste. As for the absence of adults in the book, I have found it to be the case, that, in general, teens think more of themselves or their crush than of their parents, so I'm not surprised they weren't mentioned much.

God Bless ~Amy

3.0 out of 5 stars Finding Ariel, January 2, 2012
This review is from: Every You, Every Me (Hardcover)
Evan's best friend is Ariel.
Evan's only friend is Ariel.
Ariel is gone.

But what happened to Ariel? And who is sending photographs of Ariel (and other people, initially unidentified) to Evan?

David Levithan's novel Every You, Every Me incorporates photographs by Jonathan Farmer. While Evan scrutinizes each and every picture and note he receives, it is worth remembering the tagline on the cover of the book: "A picture is worth a thousand lies." Readers have more than one mystery to figure out here. Evan's first-person narration is mostly directed to Ariel, addressing her from the get-go, using "you" frequently and really pulling you into his story and in his thoughts - but do you think he's a reliable narrator, and do you think he had something to do with Ariel's departure? Your opinion may change from chapter to chapter as more backstory is detailed, and it may change again when the truth is finally revealed in the final chapter.

Kudos, David Levithan, for incorporating Zeno's dichotomy paradox into your story. Thank you.

My favorite Farmer photo in this book appears on page 228 - but don't you dare turn to that page until you've read pages 1 through 227. It won't mean as much if you look ahead.

If you like Every You, Every Me, you should also read As Simple As Snow by Gregory Gallaway, which also employs a teenaged male narrator, a missing-in-action vivacious female friend, and mysterious elements.

3.0 out of 5 stars The ending fell short..., December 7, 2011
This review is from: Every You, Every Me (Hardcover)
OK, so this book wasn't horrible....I know MANY people who Love David Levithan so I know his writing is nowhere near bad....but it just isn't for me.

This book was very interesting with the photos that were included and with the way the story was written also. There were a lot of very short chapters and then with the pictures, it made for a quick read.

I caught on pretty quickly what was going on and I thought the whole "I know what you did" thing was great....until, the "I know what you did" thing really wasn't a big deal at all.

Then towards the end I thought there was going to be a cool psychological twist, but that didn't happen either.

I was disappointed with the ending immensly. By the way the story is written you can tell that the main character is having some deep issues dealing with the loss of his best friend. This is why I thought there was going to be a psychological twist to it.

I don't know. Just wasn't exciting. I felt like I got led on to only be let down at the very end.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, October 17, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was really excited for a new David Levithan book. I've read several of his previous novels and have always enjoyed them immensely. I was intrigued by the writing style, very personal with lines crossed out and rewritten all over the pages. The photos interested me, as well. They seemed peppered throughout the novel, obviously heavily tying into the story.

I was, ultimately, extremely disappointed. To be honest, I couldn't even make myself finish the book. The writing was disjointed and strange (but not in a pleasant manner). It was actually frustrating to read through the crossed out portions, then read the "correct" portions. It threw you out of the story instead of sucking you in. The pictures didn't really help along the story, but seemed to just confuse the plot and muddle the story. The characters were boring. The main character wasn't anyone I could enjoy reading about. There was a ton of needless angst that wasn't at all fun to read about. Some authors can pull off angst without making it a chore to read. This book is not of those.

I will read David Levithan books in the future, but I'll definitely be more cautious about trying "new concept" books. The premise is still interesting, as well as the overall concept behind the book, but it was poorly executed and ultimately unenjoyable.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Little Confused, October 9, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The style of the writing and the way the story is put together, with the photographs in the middle, is very unique, totally originally never seen that before. It was definitely interesting and it made me want to keep reading just to see how he would handle various plot elements using this style. However it was also confusing and a little frustrating because there would be large sections of text that were crossed out. I figured maybe you were supposed to read those sections anyway because that's probably where you'd find some of the most significant writings, but that wasn't completely clear. I wasn't sure if maybe I should be skipping them or maybe read them but not attach significance? Is it just supposed to speak to the writer's state of mind? Maybe just another style element that doesn't have a meaning? What?

The mystery isn't all that mysterious. It was fairly obvious from the get-go what was going on. Well, not like the first few pages, but definitely within the first quarter of the book.

I know that some people like "angst", they find it emotionally pleasing to read about or whatever and usually I agree, but this was an overload. Okay, we get it, he has angst, back off and let us breath a little. I was her best friend no I was her best friend. ...You're both pretty, let's all calm down.

Then there were a few things that didn't make sense plot-wise. Where are these kids' parents? We have angst, stalking, etc (don't want to give away anything so will stop the list there) and yet you very rarely get any kind of mention of them. The plot itself was lacking because the book focused more on Evan and what he was going through internally than anything else. I guess in the end I would good concept, interesting style, poor execution.

3.0 out of 5 stars 2.5 stars, July 6, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book didn't appeal to me. I give the author credit for his unique approach, but the story was just dull. What story there was, anyway.

It's not hard to figure out what happened to Evan's friend Ariel. It seems she is/was manic depressive and we're supposed to be left hanging as to whether she's dead or alive. But you can figure it out fairly early on.

I liked the character, Jack, Ariel's boyfriend. He seems normal. Evan, though, is a sad, loner type, made sadder by the loss of his best friend. I wish I could say I sympathized with him, but it was all just too boring.

3.0 out of 5 stars Every You Every Me, March 13, 2012
* * * *

Shel and Bel will roll their eyes at me when I make this comparison but really, in my Killers muddled brain, it's the best comparison I can come up with.

Have you ever heard the song Tranquilize by The Killers? If not, watch the video below. Relax. I am not asking you to like it. I just want you to listen. Notice how the song sounds a little edgy in the beginning. Then it builds up to a frenzied paranoia that is frightening and almost out of control. Then all of a sudden it ends with a tired sense of relief.

That right there is the emotional journey that David Levithan takes you on in Every You, Every Me.

Every You, Every Me is a novel told with words and photographs. David Levithan, of course, providing the words and Jonathon Farmer providing the photographs. Evan feels responsible for what happened to his best and only friend, Ariel. On his way to school, Evan finds a photo of the exact spot where he is standing. The next day he finds another picture in the same spot. A picture of himself. He doesn't know where the pictures are coming from but their continued appearance sends him on a downward spiral of depression and paranoia which makes the reader wonder if the photos are responsible for his paranoia or his paranoia is responsible for the pictures.

I have wanted to read a David Levithan book for a while now. When we had the chance to meet him at a YA panel hosted by our favorite Indie Bookstore, I took the opportunity to buy this book. I wasn't disappointed. The first chapter had me in tears. The rest of the book had me on the edge of my seat. The story is told in first person, from Evan's point of view. The most interesting part was that the point of view included all of Evan's unfiltered thoughts which were then filtered through with strikethroughs. For example:

Now it was a year later. I wished you a happy birthday. That word again. Happy. It's a curse. The pursuit of happiness makes us deeply unhappy. It's a trap.

This technique was an excellent way to help the reader understand Evan's state of mind, which, you may have guessed, is not exactly stable.

The photographs were a wonderful touch to the story. All the photos highlight the reason for his paranoia and keep the reader guessing as to what is really happening.

In the end, I really enjoyed this book and would definitely recommend it to anyone that enjoys a good psychological thriller.

Nat

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put my kindle away!, July 15, 2014
I bought this just to read for a little while on the beach for two days while I was on vacation but when I got home I just couldn't put it down. The suspense between Evan and his quest for the pictures was amazing and I just wanted to read more and more. I thought it was amazing and so different that the author added pictures as part of the story line as well. I've never read anything like it. Definitely an amazing read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breath taking, April 15, 2014
I literally couldn't not breathe this whole book. I couldn't believe how captivated I was by the flow of the words. This book will make you consider your life and those around you.

Every You, Every Me
Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (Paperback - September 11, 2012)
$8.99 $7.60