5.0 out of 5 stars run like your life depends on it and GET THESE DVD'S, November 8, 2009
This review is from: Everybody Hates Chris: The Complete Series (DVD)
I LOOOOVE EVERYBODY HATES CHRIS. I was a avid viewer during the 1st season in 2005, and I would watch it every week. I recently started to watch again. So you can imagine how I feel knowing that the show recently underwent cancellation. To take something so PERFECT off of television fills me with sadness and frustration! So, let me put my emotions aside for a bit to explain one of the greatest shows to ever hit the airwaves!

The show revolves around the everyday life of Chris, who is a 12-year-old seventh grade student in the series' first episode. Chris is one of the few "normal" characters on the show, surrounded by a collection of interesting characters that, in his point of view, act as if they dislike him. Chris lives in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, a low-income community and attends an all-white school, where students and teachers alike pick on him. If things go well for Chris throughout an episode, half of the time they will backfire on him by the end. If a situation isn't going Chris' way, it always manages to get even worse for him, whether or not he tries to change the course of events. Chris Rock (a true genius and one of my all-time favorite Comedians) narrates the show and takes us through the up's and downs of his years living in Bed-Stuy Brooklyn during the early-mid 1980's. Tyler James Williams (who plays young Chris Rock) never fails to make you laugh with his bland, but funny jokes. Chris has wit and charm! You find yourself caring about his character, wanting him to see things through with a happy ending.

Mr. Rocks' narration ALONE will have you ROFL, and the actors hit you with just the same! Julius (Terry Crews) is the perfect example of a good Father! He holds down his household and always shows love and affection - this man adooores his family! Rochelle (Tichina Arnold), in my eyes, is a Legend. She is one of my all-time favorite actresses! This beautiful, smart, intelligent actress has made me laugh ever since her days on the '90s sitcom "Martin," and she's back and BETTER THAN EVER! She will, without a doubt, make your entire face ache and your cheeks tense up with laughter! Drew (Tequan Richmond) and Tanya (Imani Hakim) are so adorable. They always argue but they also like working together, especially when it comes to getting what they want from their parents. Chris' best friend Greg (Vincent Martella) will make you laugh as well, as he shows that he can stand beside his fellow actors and rise to the occasion of true comedy.

One thing that stands out, probably the most, in the show is the array of '80s music that you will hear in the beginning of almost every episode. Artists such as Run DMC, Janet Jackson, Lisa Lisa and The Cult Jam, Howard Jones, LL Cool J, Culture Club, Madonna, Duran Duran and Kool Moe Dee lend their '80s hits to the show, as well as many other '80s musicians - the list goes on.

WARNING: I will say this much, there are MANY episodes in this box set that have alternate music per episode (particularly Season 1). The original music soundtrack has suffered the "cut/uncut" treatment by Paramount (The Kings & Queens of destroying authentic movies and television shows, converting them to cut dvd format). Certain episodes have alternate music to support its intro. My guess is that Paramount was too lazy, and too cheap, to conjure up a deal with the artists/companys whom own/wrote the music. Oh, but don't worry though. If you want to watch all episodes in their full-original-music-soundtrack-glory, you will have to catch them as they air on BET or Nick @ Nite. Personally, embarking on a full-fledge television search for the original soundtrack episodes, when owning the box set should be more than enough, is ridiculous. I guess it's safe to say that, in this instance, it's better to have alternate music on certain episodes rather than nothing at all.

On a lighter note, you will witness several familiar faces from the 1970's & '80s era of television. The entire series is blessed with a reunion of seasoned vet actors and comedians, all whom play permanent roles throughout various episodes. Talented professionals such as, Jackée Harry, Wayne Brady, Whoppi Goldberg, Antonio Fargas, Tisha Cambell-Martin, Ricky Harris, Ernest Thomas, Robin Givens and Mike Estime all shine..as well as a few new faces who all bring life to their characters!

*Here are some of the dvd perks of the series: 1st, The dvd has tons of options. Commentary on certain episodes, Webisodes on almost every episode, and deleted scenes, which are so funny, you can't help but wonder why they weren't left in the original show.

It's very hard for me to even sit and watch the last season on dvd, because while watching it, you just know that it's the end; it's final! And let's face it, there are not a lot of outstanding African American television shows out there nowadays that tend to make it past 4 or 5 seasons, and that is due to fans tuning in for a short period of time (during the beginning), then suddenly tuning out, which sends ratings in decline. I feel that we, the viewers, should make it our duty to keep our favorite shows on the air and support them, especially the shows that are quintessential to their nature. Otherwise, this will continue to plague all genuine African American comedies, dramas and sitcoms. So this is my plea to all whom, like myself, love and enjoy outstanding African American comedy, such as "Everybody Hates Chris," "Tyler Perry's House Of Payne," "The Game" ect..let's make this happen, and let's share the happiness that will follow as our reward.

As I said before, I watch every episode, and I usually have EHC dvd marathons. But when the last season rolls around, what was once fun, enjoyable entertainment, slowly becomes a recollect of sad memories; memories of an acculmination of great work that all leads up to the very last episode of the series. There is an empty space etched in your heart for everyone involved; you're left wondering what could have been for the members of the Rock family. EHC is now off the air and will not return any time soon. I had hopes that BET would pick it up, but I don't know of any new news stating that this will happen. In a post I came across a few days after hearing about the cancellation, it read that Chris Rock announced that the end of season 4 matched up with his own past -- dropping out of high school to become a comedian -- and that basically, it was time to end the show. So my only point is this, they are the entertainers, and we are the viewing public (fans); they do their part, now let's accomplish ours and save our genuine comedy! Ultimately, it's up to us! - These dvd's are a must-have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chris Makes it Funky!, October 21, 2009
Mel L (Melbourne Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everybody Hates Chris: The Complete Series (DVD)
The coolest show ever! This sitcom set in Brooklyn in the eighties will have the whole family laughing. Narrated by Chris Rock and inspired by his own childhood, Chris, played by Tyler James Williams spotlights the catastrophes, misfortunes and triumphs of growing up. Constantly at cross purposes with his loving but dysfunctional family, Chris finds that being a kid isn't easy. Every character in the show is wonderfully authentic and original and each problem Chris encounters is one that kids today will relate to. Chris Rocks' hilarious narration delivers bursts of precisely executed humor into each exceptional episode. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Too bad new episodes are not on TV., January 9, 2010
K. M. Coleman (Calumet City, ILLINOIS United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everybody Hates Chris: The Complete Series (DVD)
I did not watch this series during its run as a TV series. It is so funny. Chris Rock's narration really adds to it. An advantage of having the complete set is being to watch it whenever I want. My whole family loves the show.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE CHRIS!!, February 21, 2010
Sascie (Staten Island, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everybody Hates Chris: The Complete Series (DVD)
If you are looking for a show that will make you laugh out loud every couple of minutes, this is it! I am so glad that this show was repeated on Nick at Night. I never watched it before until now. After watching about five episodes, I was like, "I HAVE GOT TO ADD THIS TO MY TELEVISION DVD LIBRARY". The cast is fantastic, very natural. It's not like your watching a show. Chris Rock does rock! I could definately relate to some of Chris' stories, as I'm sure a lot of people can. I can't say enough good things about this show, except I wish Chris would bring it back to tv and add on more new episodes. Nick at Night has made new fans of this sitcom who have never seen it before, myself being one of them! Thanks Chris!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Viewing for Middle School Set & BEYOND !!!!, August 1, 2010
bhk (Aurora, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everybody Hates Chris: The Complete Series (DVD)
This is a great show for the WHOLE FAMILY! My 3 kids (esp my 12yr old son) absolutely LOVE it. He's seen all 88 episodes and can recite almost every line. We were heartbroken when it went off the air.
Basically it is about Chris Rock's life as a kid, all the struggles and hardships he had to go through to get where he is now. While I don't condone a lot that's on TV, this show seemed to be pretty nice for the middle school crowd and we are sorry to see it go. He and his friends truly miss it. But the dvd's were a GREAT INVESTMENT...for the WHOLE GANG !
BEWARE!! I'm told THE LAST EPISODE OF THE SERIES IS A HEARTBREAKING CLIFFHANGER!!!!Hope you enjoy it as much as we all are again and again and again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everybody Hates Chris Series, February 4, 2010
This review is from: Everybody Hates Chris: The Complete Series (DVD)
Love it.....Amazon delivered earlier than expected and what I got was awesome...Everybody Hates Chris is fantastic, the quality of the DVDs is excellent - Love Amazon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Everybody Hates Chris, December 30, 2009
This review is from: Everybody Hates Chris: The Complete Series (DVD)
I started watching the reruns on Nick at Nite with the kids. I have to say, I was hooked from the beginning. Chris and his family keep you laughing.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love everything about I Hate Chris Series, June 14, 2010
Carolyn Oats (Las Vegas, Nevada, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everybody Hates Chris: The Complete Series (DVD)
There was nothing about my purchase that I did not love. I have viewed the entire series which I could not do before due to work schedule. My daughter told me about the laughs, and who doesn't need to laugh. I have not encountered a skip or scratch yet. Thank God. That would have been disappointing. Thanks for the affordable purchase. Hours of clean fun except a word or two which is allowed on prime time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Show....Worth every penny!, December 9, 2011
This review is from: Everybody Hates Chris: The Complete Series (DVD)
I purchased the complete series as a birthday present for my boyfriend. While he received other presents, this was by far his favorite gift! I secretly spent the hefty $$$$, for the series, because I knew I would enjoy his present as much as he would. Now, why I think this show is great and a must see for all families..... everybody hates Chris is about a real middle class family that loves each other and deals with everyday issues. While some of the issues may seem culturally specific (Black experience), all cultures can relate to the underlining message. Besides, it is time that all shows are appreciated for the entertainment and message and not the cultural specificity of a small number of segments. The show is down right funny!!!! This is a show that you can watch with your children , girlfriends, or boyfriend and never feel that it is irrelevant. I did not watch while it was on the air, but now believe that Chris Rock should have been given praise for creating a truly enjoyable family show.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a hilarious show!, September 17, 2010
This review is from: Everybody Hates Chris: The Complete Series (DVD)
I never saw this show when it was "on air." I recently started watching reruns and couldn't believe how funny it was. I'm about the same age as Chris Rock, so I can definitely relate to the era. All the characters are great. Tichina Arnold (who plays Rochelle) is a stitch, as is the teacher. How they keep a straight face while saying some of their lines is beyond me. The stories are so funny, and Chris Rock's narration is the icing on the cake. Since I hate all the commercials on TV, I ordered the complete DVD set. It's great, including the extras. My only complaint is that there is no closed captioning available on the DVDs. As noisy as my kids can be, I like having the "words on" while I'm watching shows. However, my TV itself has closed captioning, so I use that instead. I consider this show one of my favorite TV comedies, right up there with Seinfeld and Everybody Loves Raymond.

Everybody Hates Chris: The Complete Series
Everybody Hates Chris: The Complete Series by Tyler James Williams (DVD - 2009)
$119.98 $57.59