Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale

on January 7, 2003
If you read this book, you'll better understand why athletes are revered in our culture. You'll better understand why some hang on to their careers well past their prime, and why some can never accomplish anything that matches their on-field glory.
The book's funny, too, as well as touching and poignant. It's a really good read. One of my favorites--and one I think of every time I see an athlete that can't leave the game.
on August 25, 1999
This is a novel that I read every other year or so just before the start of the college football season. It is a story of a mythical player at North Carolina in the late 50's that is "everybody's all-american" and the impact that the game has on his life as well as those around him. It is written with wit and style from the perspective of a character that is our hero's adoring nephew. There are some great comparisons drawn between our hero and another young hero of an earlier time, J.E.B. Stewart, and the impact that their greatness had on their lives. The author also shows a social conscience in his treatment of the subject of race relations in the 50's American South. Deford is a superb writer and if you love college football this is a must read.
on April 25, 2012
I really wanted to read this book, as I love Frank DeFord's writing for "Sports Illustrated." And it was an enjoyable novel, although it harped on its' theme a little too much. But the Kindle version was really badly done. Every time I started a new chapter, I was irritated to find that one of the sentences had been broken off in the middle, only to start again a few lines later. This became a real annoyance. Also, the spacing of the dialogue was off. Too much white space in between the lines made the book seem cheaply done.

Not a justice to a writer as good as Frank DeFord.
11 comment2 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2015
DeFord is a favorite commentator on NPR. As a North Carolinian and UNC Grad, I am very impressed at his excellent depiction of the language and culture in mid-century North Carolina. The story has many dimensions and I like the narration. In some ways the depiction of the ingrained racism during that era can be jarring but I applaud DeFord for his character development of Narvel. Great book.
on January 17, 2012
I first read this book as a teen and really liked it. When I saw the movie (also years ago) it became a favorite and rekindled my interest in the book. I thought it would be fun to re-read and enjoy from an adult's perspective. The book did not disappoint. It is a great look into relationships, hero worship, coming of age, discrimination, and life in general.
on July 1, 2015
The title lends itself to a rah-rah feel-good read; I only purchased this because I've always been a fan of Frank Deford's commentary and column writing. The uber-human elements exposed in this book provide a stark contrast to my expectations. I couldn't put this book down. Outstanding.
on January 8, 2015
Good fiction. i like Frank Deford.
on November 3, 2013
I really enjoyed this story. I've seen the movie several times and always enjoy Mr. Deford's commentary on NPR.

My only issue is with the Kindle version itself: in several places the lines duplicate and run into other sentences. It didn't ruin the book, but was an annoyance.

The story differs from the movie version. The differences are not as many as say "the Cider House Rules" or "Forrest Gump" where the stories are so divergent, you wish they'd changed the name. This is more like the changes that were made between the book and movie version of "The Help". But, if you are someone who is bothered by source material differing from adaptations, and you loved the movie exactly as-is, you may not care for the last few chapters/the original ending. I preferred the book's ending to the movie.
on August 9, 2007
Nephew narrator nauseatingly hangs around football star's wife. Lineman accidentally sits on a chihuahua. Characters are all stereotypes. Deford is an excellent writer, but I'll stay with the nonfiction.

Easy reading.
0Comment0 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse