Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Everyday Barbecue: At Home with America's Favorite Pitmaster
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 6, 2013
I have several of Myron's cookbooks. They are well organized, detailed and the instructions are pretty good. His 'style' of BBQ is very different than mine - I like very very simple BBQ with very little sugar. I like to let the flavor of the meat speak. Having said that, I have learned a lot about technique from reading his books. I think he and Aaron Franklin are the two hottest BBQ chefs in the country. If you can't learn anything from Myron's books you are not being open-minded.

Separately, I made his cornbread recipe not once, but twice. Both times it turned out like a rock. My better half confirmed all the ingredients I put in against the recipe. I am convinced the recipe is missing something - namely a leavening agent. If you make this recipe I recommend adding a tsp of baking powder.

Overall he writes great books, but let's be honest, you didn't buy the book for his baking skills :-)

Follow-up: I wrote Myron's team at jacksoldsouth.com (via the 'contact us' function) about the cornbread recipe. I was most impressed that they wrote back immediately and admitted the recipe was missing a leavening agent...the recipe needs 1.5 tsp of baking powder and 0.5 tsp of baking soda. They will fix the recipe in future editions. So refreshing to deal with an organization that admits its errors so readily. My kind of people.
33 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 23, 2015
I just bought this book because of the "Only Sauce" and "Whiskey Grilled Shrimp" recipes. A friend made them last summer and they were great, even my husband loved them, not too hot or spicy. the sauce may be thick, but if you read the recipes, it is used as a marinade as is and mixed with more liquid as a sauce. I hope this is helpful. Our friend is from Kentucky, we are from Tennessee, and Myron Mixon is from Georgia, it has to be good.
on August 12, 2013
Bought his other book about smoking meat and expected a little more from this book. The recipes are for a lot of leftover bbq meats as well as some other dishes which I thought were uninteresting as we already know how to cook most of them. The author also cooks at a higher temperature and uses equipment I could not afford to own.
on May 24, 2015
yes this is garbage recipes are missing ingredients i just threw 50 dollars worth of ribs out and currently eating pizza for memorial day weekend bbq sauce missing 2c of ketchup not even on list had to use the internet to find that out.a burger seasoning that is 2/3 salt it was his all you need marinade that messed up my ribs saltier than the saltiest jerky i have ever ate we literally threw them out
on August 19, 2015
I'm currently on his first cookbook. his recipies are all great the only thing I do recommend is when cooking with this man especially be sure to use a traditional wood/charcoal smoker as a electric smoker will not keep enough heat to cook your meat for and to provide you time to add basting. If you remember his recipies you can easily win any cookoff at your local fair pending he is not around.
on June 17, 2013
I've been a fan of Myron for years. He's cocky and he's good! Most of all he knows BBQ! This book does not give up any secrets to his award winning food but rather gets you close to it. You can't expect him to give away all his secrets and then have everyone making the same things he does at competitions now. Right? What you can expect are recipes that are 'almost' what he'd do in your place. The sauces and rubs have key components withheld from them for this reason and you have to wonder if they're as good as what he would use. This point makes me wonder why I bought the book if I'm to get almost maybe used recipes and ingredients. I noticed that one key ingredient is missing from his rubs and that's Cumin. Cumin IS BBQ, but not in this book. I recommend Steve Raichlen books for exact recipes that have been used and proven good. Sorry Myron, not today.
on August 21, 2015
It is mostly just recipes. I would like to have know the whys and reasoning behind the recipes. Myron only gives two different rub and two different sauce recipes which he uses in all the meat recipes throughout the book.
on July 20, 2013
For someone with so many awards, you would think Miron could at least write the first BBQ sauce recipe in his new book correctly. The recipe is clearly erroneous and totally unusable. Specifically, the recipe calls for a 3-cup yield, but the only liquid in the entire recipe is 2/3 cup cider vinegar and two tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce. Once you add that to all the other solid ingredients in the rest of the recipe like two cans of tomato paste, various powders, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, maple syrup, salt and pepper, etc., the "Only Barbecue Sauce You Need" ends up being the "Only Barbecue Sauce You Need to Throw Away" because it's so thick you need an ice cream scooper to get it out of the saucepan. This is the last thing that your average backyard BBQ guy wants to experience after following a core recipe written by an experienced Pitmaster.
on June 22, 2016
Great recipes and humor in this book, this is the second book of his I bought the first delt more with low and slow cooking. This book is more for weeknights or when you dont have a long time to commit. Excellent recipes for burgers, ribs, chicken, lamb and beef as well as great side dishes and desserts
on February 15, 2014
At the age of 58, I have taken up the art of smoking meat. Without the use of this book, I would still be struggling. In almost every endeavor, I have had success. In fact, I not only use the book as a reference guide for meat but for side dishes that compliment as well.

I found the Only Rub to be a great blend. The Only Other Rub didn't impress me as much but to each his own. My only complaint is I found the two sauces to be lacking. I have switched to a Memphis sauce and the dishes are much better in my opinion. Again, to each his own.

I really appreciated Myron putting this book out for us neophytes. It has been a great help!

Michael L. Gooch