4.0 out of 5 stars Necessary Advice Shared in An Easy-to-Follow Guide
Published on September 13, 2011 by Simply Luxurious

3.0 out of 5 stars Some helpful information
A rather basic look at etiquette in the digital age, but nothing too enlightening to share with the reader. Probably would be a nice gift for a new graduate - either high school or college.
Published 8 months ago by Ozzie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Necessary Advice Shared in An Easy-to-Follow Guide, September 13, 2011
This review is from: Everyday Etiquette: How to Navigate 101 Common and Uncommon Social Situations (Paperback)
With an ever quickening pace, our society while very productive, seems to have abandoned proper etiquette, or at least has become far too casual in how we interact with each other forgetting boundaries, privacy and the like. Patricia Rossi's new book Everyday Etiquette: How to Navigate 101 Common and Uncommon Social Situations provides specific helpful advice for the common (manners at the table) and uncommon (social media) social situations we all must manage whether we are immersed in the technological world or not.

A few topics and glimpses of her advice regarding etiquette:

*Table Manners

o A visual description of an informal and formal table setting
o Bread course - when oil is on the table for everyone to use, spoon out a serving of oil onto your plate. Don't dip your bread into the common bowl.

*Social Media (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Blogs)

o Facebook - avoid oversharing personal information and private emotions
o LinkedIn - Any professional requests on Facebook should be redirected to LinkedIn - keep Facebook for friends and family only.

*Business Matters

o View the design of your business cards like a resume
o Casual Fridays - set yourself apart and always dress professionally

*Out and About

o Museums - the three feet rule, give the artwork the personal space you would give a person to whom you are having a conversation with
o Dating - the person who does the inviting does the paying, however it is okay to offer to pay half

Sports

o Never use an iPod while riding a bike unless it's stationary
o running or walking - keep to the right unless you are going to pass

Encouragement During Tough Times

o When learning of a friend's divorce, listen and never take sides. Let them know you are there if they need someone to talk to.
o Funerals - do something, but remember that doing nothing is not an option

Petiquette

o Dog Park - if your dog digs a hole, fill it up ASAP
o Travel - have your dog groomed before they travel - they will feel better and so will you and your travel companions

The above is just a sampling of what Rossi offers throughout her book. The specific directions on proper etiquette coupled with illustrations when necessary and her own person experiences shared throughout (dinner at the White House for example) help to create a book that is hands on and applicable to anyone who is trying to successfully navigate in a world that is constantly on the go and progressing quicker than it seems we can keep up. The key to success is to lay a sound groundwork and that comes in the form of proper etiquette.

As an etiquette coach, consultant and public speaker, Patricia Rossi has a national syndicated "Manners Minute" television segments that air weekly on NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC and other affiliates throughout the US. She also has a weekly newspaper column in a Florida newspaper and is Twitter's #1 etiquette professional (@PatriciaRossi).

5.0 out of 5 stars A great refresher course! And an easy/quick read!, December 23, 2011
This book was short and sweet. It is a great refresher course for anyone interested in current etiquette (no 18th century rules in here!). The book really demonstrates how etiquette can promote strong relationships. The author shows how etiquette can get you ahead in life.

The book opens with an "etiquette quiz" and concludes with a "Q&A" portion. There are sample sympathy and thank-you letters included in the book. The majority of the book is a list of etiquette for common (and not so common) situations.

Here are some things that I learned from the book.

-The proper place to wear a name tag is on the right shoulder (sounds obvious but I always wore it on the left shoulder.)

-When inviting a guest to lunch, you should pick the restaurant as it puts too much pressure on the guest to decide (e.g. the guest may not know how formal or informal).

-When male and female business businesses colleagues arrive at a door, whoever is closest or arrives first opens the door.

-When introducing someone to a family member, you should typically say the other person's name first.
-In social situations, men are generally introduced to women (e.g. "Sarah this is Bob.")

-Never shake hands while in a seated or subservient position. Stand up, then shake hands. If a barrier is between you and the other person, such as a table, come around from the barrier for the handshake, never lean across it.

-Never ask someone "what they do"....rather ask how they spend their time.

-You should respond to facebook messages within 24 hours.

Overall, this book was really easy to read and it was a quick read as well. Highly suggest!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyday Etiquette: How to Navigate 101 Common and Uncommon Social Situations, November 28, 2011
DrDaisy (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
I truly loved this book! Look around you and you will notice the lack of respect in not only our youth but the adults as well. Many reasons for this lack of respect is the fact that etiquette is looked at as old fashioned or for the elite. This book was very refreshing in that it tackled the everyday situations where etiquette or better yet, manners are necessary. Patricia's way of teaching etiquette is unique and fun and something everyone will enjoy reading. This book does not focus on the pinky raising tea drinking etiquette it focuses on the everyday etiquette that we should all be implementing. Thanks Patricia for a fun way to teach not only our children but adults the proper way to navigate through our daily lives and relationships.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun to Read and Full of Advice, October 25, 2011
I love this book! I always thought etiquette lessons were boring and stuffy, but Patricia Rossi's writing style is funny and engaging. Her advice is easy to understand and so worthwhile. I enjoy going to high level networking and social events, but in the past I've felt intimidated in terms of proper etiquette. It's such a relief knowing I now have a roadmap to navigate all kinds of social situations. This book is a must read for anyone looking to shine in business and life in general!
(I also think it would make a perfect gift for college grads).

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have, October 26, 2011
Jancee Dunn (Brooklyn, New York) - See all my reviews
This invaluable book gives you instant confidence. Rossi covers every conceivable social situation, from business lunches to texting to play dates. Never stuffy, always approachable, she write with humor, tact, and kindness, and includes many personal anecdotes to make her point. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Everyday Etiquette, December 27, 2012
I dont have any complaints, i use this book as a reference. If I am going to a dinner function, I will read over that chapter. Its a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Manners Made Easy, November 28, 2011
I always thought manners were about rules, but Patricia Rossi makes it clear in her book "Everyday Etiquette" that manners are about relationships. What a wonderful perspective! This book taught me how to feel more comfortable in everyday social situations. It has helped me in family relationships, social situations, and business interactions. I really enjoyed Rossi's sense of humor throughout the book and love her personal accounts that add an element of life application. It's nice to have one book I can reference whenever I have an etiquette question. This is a great book that I highly recommend!

Michelle Kaufmann
[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Etiqutte is a tricky business.., April 25, 2013
Alice (United States) - See all my reviews
This is a good book.

Just as is the case with other topics, you need several books on etiquette
so that they can complement each other. This book is less than 300 pages,
which is simply not enough for you to learn about proper manners.

I recommend Letitia Baldridge's books. If it's business manners you're looking for,
get separate books on the topic, too. One book I found particularly interesting and
helpful was "The Art of The Business Lunch."

5.0 out of 5 stars Your Handy Reference for Everyday!, March 14, 2012
The first thing I thought when I started reading this was, wow I could've used this a long time ago! The next thing I thought was, this book is funny. The author, Patricia, clearly has a great sense of humor and so the whole "etiquette" thing doesn't come across stuffy or boring. And three, I thought - this is a great graduation gift. And finally I put it on my desk, because it is absolutely a perfect reference that I will use for all those common and uncommon (What do I do?) "etiquette" situations we all encounter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this for your teenager!!, January 25, 2012
I work with teenagers and young adults in private practice, and frequently am teaching social skills as part of our work together. Many of my clients have Asperger's or other social deficits, but even kids without such challenges frequently 'don't get' how to interact with the world to its best effect. This makes working with their teachers, their employers, and their friends difficult at best.

I have searched for social skills books before, and never found anything that would appeal to them -- until this book. First off, it is clear, concise, and well-written. It is visually appealing and laid out well. Secondly, it is CURRENT -- dealing with social media, and the vagaries of our digital lives. It is also current in dealing with the 'differences' of the sexes. Who opens the door first? The man or the woman? Whoever gets to the door first, of course! (No duh!)

Finally, it is filled with useful information and written in a style that is not condescending or stuffy. A five star in my book, and on my book list of 'must reads' for my clients!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›