Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on February 25, 2010
I subscribe to Everyday Food and use the recipes constantly. I've never made an Everyday Food recipe that wasn't really good. I went ahead and bought the cookbook because it was a really good price, even though they've all been in the magazine. Some cooks might think that the recipes are fancy or complicated by looking at the titles or photographs, but they're really easy, and use easy-to-find ingredients, even in a small town. I also like the fact that the recipes never call for processed ingredients, like cream of mushroom soup, etc. Also, some of the recipes venture out from typical family fare, and many might say that their families won't eat the food. My philosophy is that if your family is hungry, they will eat what you provide, unless you want to be a short-order cook every night. This book is arranged differently than the first book. Where the first one was arranged by season (which I happen to really like), this one is arranged by meals and courses. Also, in regard to a previous low-rated review because of the binding, mine arrived in fine shape.
on March 3, 2010
The recipes in this cookbook are very good. But because I am a subscriber of the magazine (which is excellent, by the way), this book is nothing more than a compilation of recipes from the magazine. If you don't subscribe, it's a great cookbook. If you do subscribe, all of the recipes will be very familiar, and you will spend double the money on the same thing.
on May 17, 2010
Enjoyed the first book and now I have another 250 recipes to make. All of the dishes turn out just as pretty as the pictures and taste great as well. I bought this book for both of my grown kids, who are beginner cooks and they both love it as well. They both said that having the pictures help them realize what the dish should look like and whether they are interested in making the recipe. Both of the cook books in this series make a wonderful addition to my cookbook collection.
on August 8, 2010
I actually bought this a few months ago at Costco, looked through it and was very unimpressed and returned it. I have a HUGE much used/perused cookbook collection that includes the 1st book in this series which gets underused, and thought this one did little to grab me, at best. Fast forward to a few weeks ago...was browsing at a store and picked this up. Saw it with different eyes this time so re-bought and and have been using it.

It is a great collection of fresh quick recipes. The Pan Bagnet, a pressed tuna/egg sandwich a la Nice France, is fantastic. The super easy black bean stuffed baked green chilis, a quick and healthier alternative to chili rellenos is also fantastic; the coconut and beef curry with noodles, made w/shrimp and tofu as we don't eat beef, its superb.The Lighter Chicken Pot Pie made with a phyllo top crust is a keeper. And I could go on. It is just what it claims to be: a collection of mostly fast recipes made with fresh ingredients. There is a commendable nod to pan-Asian (ie, using or referencing Japanese, Chinese, Thai and other Asian food traditions) and Latin dishes (some Mexican, a Jerk Chicken recipe that is workable for the average kitchen and more) and some predictable Italian/pasta/pizza recipes that are good and straightforward. What I like about their recipes is that...they work! This is an experienced crew under M. Stewart's exec. direction: they KNOW how to build and test recipes. All things considered, the seasonings are nicely balanced.

Okay, here are two thoughts that I think noteworthy:
1.) If you live somewhere where you cannot go to the "International Foods" section of your supermarket and get things like Thai Curry Paste, coconut milk, some grains like quinoa, and a few other ethnically-specific condiments ingredients that might possibly be unavailable outside of metropolitan areas, well, there is still plenty to work with here, but you might be a bit frustrated. For alot of us this is NOT an issue, but I know from reading reviews of other books that it drives some people crazy to not be able to get what they consider exotic ingredients...so, consider that.

2.) I would have considered this for 5***** but I think there is one area in which they could have made it more versatile and usable, consistent with the theme of the book. They could, and don't, suggest possible substitutions/creative alternatives. Mark Bittman is stellar at this. Especailly helpful if you are touting a Fresh theme. We don't eat beef or pork and constantly sub out recipe items. More and more people are leaning toward poulty, fish/seafood and veggie proteins, so making suggestions for that would have been appropriate. Or for ways to be creative: we added marinated artichokes to the pan bagnat one time, tomatoes another, and roasted red peppers and capers another time....throughout the book it would have made sense to include ideas for a spin on the main recipe. And that is how folks cook now...so, for that I would add the 5th star.

I do recommend it... great easy book to just grab and go with, even if you are an experienced cook. I am just that with great foodie resources within easy reach, but I have a super demanding job and a book like this is a no brain-strain way to whip up just what the title says when I need something good, fresh, and fast.
on September 20, 2011
I am very enthusiastic about this cookbook. I agree with the other reviewers that the ingredients are always simple, easy to find and not processed, which is great. It is also very handy that the nutritional information for each recipe is in the back. The picture for every meal makes it easy to imagine and entices the reader to want to make each recipe. So far I've made probably ten recipes out of the book and they are all delicious and relatively healthy! Also, the stretch it meals are great for leftover quick meals during the weekdays. Very creative and helpful. Love it!
on January 7, 2012
I got this cookbook for ny 24 year old niece who has just become interested in cooking. She absolutely LOVES it! All the things she wants to cook are featured - not fancy stuff just regular dishes anyone would want good recipes for. The best part is there are tons of pictures so she can tell if she is doing it right and she'll know how the finished dish is supposed to turn out. While is is a basic cookbook and an excellent choice for beginners it is also a wonderful addition to any cooks library because of the volume of dishes included. This is a beautiful book - I might just get one for myself!
on April 13, 2010
I was really excited for this cookbook to come out! I loved many of the recipes from Great Food Fast and had high expectations for Everyday Food's 2nd book. The cookbook is okay. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. There's not many recipes in this book that inspire me, but the one recipe I do love is the Roasted Vegetable and Ricotta Pizza. It's delicious! Also, I do really like the tips and tricks section at the end of the book and love that there is nutritional information listed for each recipe in the back of the cookbook as well. So far I have tried 3 recipes from the book and have only liked the pizza listed above. I will give some more of the recipes a try, but I guess I just don't see this cookbook as a "go to" type of cookbook.
on May 12, 2010
This is such a great cookbook--I'm an America's Test Kitchen kind of cook and appreciate good directions and consistent results. This book has both of those things AND is way faster. It's also much less intimidating for my husband to cook out of, and he likes that there is a picture of each and every recipe.
on July 21, 2014
Easy, fast and yummy recipes. The everyday food cookbooks are my go to book for the days that need to find a fast, healthy and filling recipe for the family. We have enjoyed a majority of these recipes and have added them into our regular meal plans. The recipes are straight forward and easy to understand. They require minimal prep and are easy to make. Great cookbook for anyone that likes flavor but does not have hours to spend in the kitchen preparing and cooking meals.
on July 19, 2013
Great book showing you how to make good flavored basic food fast. I use this as a go to for quick weekday meals. The book is divided into sections which make it easy to find what you might be searching for. The section on side dishes is really nice. I'm making two from that section to take along to a picnic. Great ideas!