5.0 out of 5 stars Dessert Divinity!! Minus the carbs!
Published on December 29, 2004 by Julia

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Shortcuts
Published on April 30, 2005 by Victoria Redux

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Shortcuts, April 30, 2005
This review is from: Everyday Low-Carb Desserts: Over 120 Delicious Low-Carb Treats Perfect for Any Occasion (Paperback)
I am a serious baker, and was excited about the idea of a dessert book that would allow me to make guilt-free sugar-free cakes and pies. Guilt-free, yes, but that's about it. I don't mean to sound like a snob, but I'm not interested in cake recipes that call for Sweet-n-Low brand cake MIX as their main ingredient. I thought this was supposed to be a cookbook? I can get those kinds of recipes off the side of a box.

Fine if you're interested in quick and easy. Not very satisfying if you want to make from-scratch desserts with real ingredients. I'm afraid I'll be sending this back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected, October 8, 2005
Instead of original recipes, many of Ms. Broihier's call for using ready made mixes, ready made cookies and ready made chocolate bars...Not my idea of a cookbook... what do I need the cookbook for? I could just bake the cake mix, eat the cookies and enjoy the chocolate as is.... the rest are pretty common.... take some heavy cream and whip it with some flavoring or other.....when she does offer some original recipes, many include non low carb items like real flour etc. Even small amounts, are not part of my ingredients any more....

1.0 out of 5 stars A Waste of Money, June 16, 2009
This shouldn't even be called a cookbook. It is completely useless. Almost every single so-called recipe called for Atkins Bake Mix. For those of you who don't know, Atkins stopped manufacturing this product years ago.

The few recipes that don't call for Atkins Mixes call for Sweet N Low cake mixes, a product which has as its first ingredient "bleached flour" and has 36g of carbohydrates per serving. HOW IS THAT LOW CARB?

Perhaps someone should have educated this author on the difference between low sugar and low carb.

Apparently, anyone can now add chocolate chips or coconut to pre-made bake mixes and publish that as a cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dessert Divinity!! Minus the carbs!, December 29, 2004
I received this book as a early Christmas gift and WOW is it fantastic. Classic desserts and creative desserts abound in this cookbook. The recipes are easy to follow and the nutritional information is printed with each recipe. Even a novice like me can make amazing desserts. There is a section in the middle with great photographs to get you inspired. I made the truffles for the office holiday party - they got rave reviews. The low-carbers of the office were impressed. If you are missing dessert - this is the book for you. If you enjoy making and eating dessert - you cannot go wrong with this book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Sugar and prepared mixes in recipes, October 15, 2009
BigHeart (Gilford, NH United States) - See all my reviews
As an MS/RD author Kitty Broihier knows that sugar is a highly processed, high carb type of food. Just one tablespoon has almost 12 grams of carbs. Yet she includes this ingredient in many of her low-carb recipes. Broihier also relies heavily on prepared mixes to make her recipes work. Even more, sugar and highly processed flours are triggers for binge-eaters and out-of-control eaters, which may be a problem for up to 40% of the overweight population. I recommend George Stella's excellent book, Livin Low Carb, instead of this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just can't give up dessert?!?, December 28, 2004
Often, even though I'm low-carbing, I can't not have dessert. This book has saved me - almost 30% of the recipes are chocolate! And there are a dozen cookie recipes, too. There are recipes to be used all through the year - summer and winter holidays included. But none is too difficult to make any day of the week, either. I also really enjoy the author's description (often personal, which is entertaining) of each recipe - it makes searching for just what I want easier. The pages at the beginning of the book are very helpful for keeping your pantry stocked with the "right" things.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm no dessert maker but this was easy, May 4, 2005
I purchased both low carbs cookbooks by Kitty Broihier. I am a vegetarian but still cook meat for my family, I get very bored with the same old stuff so these cookbooks have really helped me, I made the herbed top round roast and my husband and mother in law loved it. I also discovered the salads and veggie dishes in the back, I made the corn beef hash using a deli meat substitute- it was very tasty and I didn't feel like I missed the potatoes at all. As for the low carb dessert cook book I made 3 desserts for Easter (there were 21 people at my home)- pumpkin pudding, ice cream sandwich cookies, and the black forest cupcakes- trust me I am no dessert cook but these recipes were easy and yummy, I was completed in preparing and cleaning up ect... w/in @ 45 minutes, everyone tried them and loved them, there were no leftovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars This cookbook was so much fun, July 24, 2013
When this cookbook came I had so much fun deciding what recipes I was going to make. There was so many great recipes to choose from. Thanks for a fantastic deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tips, tricks, and techniques for cooking low-carb dishes, February 13, 2005
Everyday Low-Carb Desserts proffers more than 120 tasty low-carb treats for any occasion. Written by the president of NutriComm, Everyday Low-Carb Desserts includes such mouth-watering lite delights such as Boston Cream Pie (net carbs 12g), Three-Layer Blackberry Bars (net carbs 9g), Pumpkin Pie (net carbs 4.5 g) and much more. Tips, tricks, and techniques for cooking low-carb dishes in general pepper this handy, easy-to-use guide

2.0 out of 5 stars needed expensive storebought mix, May 2, 2010
Ann Driver (Kannapolis, N.C. United States) - See all my reviews
I wish I had been warned that I would need to buy things like Atkins bake mix and other prepackaged additives to make most of these recipes. I don't have the money or the access to Atkins bake mix; and if I'm going to buy that I may as well just buy premade low-carb desserts.

$16.99 $14.43