5.0 out of 5 stars real life journal

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, sweet, but not a how-to book
Published on November 26, 2008 by M. Carole

5.0 out of 5 stars real life journal, January 1, 2005
This review is from: Everyday Matters (Hardcover)
I loved this book. I collect books on how to keep an art journal and this is the first one that unleashed my drawing and writing about everyday life. The other books are so polished and beautiful it made me feel like my drawings and writing weren't quite good enough. I love how he includes partial drawings because my sketchbook is full of partial drawings, they caught a glimpse of something so they are worthy of keeping. I also love how his writing can be a simple or funny thought that occurred to him during a drawing, rather than always something deep and profound. A beautiful book that will go on my very special favorites shelf to be read again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A winner from so many perspectives, March 29, 2004
Dana Jenkins (Buffalo, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyday Matters (Hardcover)
If you want to be inspired to draw, or to write, or to live more fully, or best of all to do all three simultaneously, (and if you only have 60 minutes to move closer to your goals)- Everyday Matters is a must read. It's real, charming, witty, whimsical, and teaches art and life lessons that can be applied BY ANYONE. For all those who say "but I can't draw" and even more for those who say "but what shall I draw" this has some answers to the first question and many to the second. It's hard for me to say whether Danny is a better artist, writer, or philosopher. Fortunately we get all three in this slim volume. I can't wait for his next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Special, Intimate, Lovely, March 28, 2004
This review is from: Everyday Matters (Hardcover)
Everyday Matters is such a special, intimate, lovely book, it's hard to know where to begin singing its praises. To open the book is to steal a look inside the sketchbook (a.k.a. the heart and mind) of a man who has just realized that drawing might help him see everything more clearly -- including seeing his way into a whole new life, one in which his wife is in a wheelchair. And that man happens to live in and draw pictures of New York City, which he adores.
Besides the delights of Gregory's words and images -- which are sometimes funny, and other times poignant -- the book also serves as a nearly overwhelming incentive to pick up a pen and draw. And by drawing, to see objects again for the first time. If by publishing the book Gregory wished to remind people to look at the world around them with fresh, hungry, sensitive hearts and eyes, he has succeeded with this reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars READ THIS, AND DRAW SOMETHING!!, April 8, 2006
This review is from: Everyday Matters (Hardcover)
Such real writing and drawing here. I couldn't put this book down yesterday when I got it. This guy combines his drawings and his thoughts about life in a way that is just so honest and human. He opens up his life (and medicine cabinet) for everyone to see. I highly doubt that you can read/look through this book and not want to start your own drawing journal.

My favorite parts:

* Danny's Drawing in the beginning of the book where he traced Jack's hands and then drew the view from Jack's window. -Oh, I loved that!

*The honest account (the thoughts and the drawings)of the trajedy that changed their lives. (ie: - "I didn't know anyone who was married to a cripple. I didn't know anyone who was disabled at all.")

- And the part about how the people acted to him at work following his wife's accident.

*I liked the drawing of the Books with the statue book end- I've read almost all of them!

*I liked the drawings of people in various places. Which makes me wonder what people must think when they see someone looking them over and then writing or drawing in a book. How funny that these people are out there somewhere and most likely have no idea that they've been drawn and included in a book. Makes me want to get brave enough to go out in public and draw.

I love this book. This is a book I will revisit many times over. I got this book after I bought "The Creative License" -Which I also highly recommend. These books have changed the way I look at ordinary things. I see normal/boring things that I usually wouldn't pay a bit of attention to -and now, I think about how I would draw that. I take a small sketchbook with me everywhere now. It's really cool.

One of the great things about this book and "The Creative License" is that it gives you the confidence and the desire to draw/sketch even if you've never drawn before. You see Danny's drawings, and it just makes you want to try it too. Once you start it though, you're hooked and you want to draw or sketch everyday!-And why not? It's fun!

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, sweet, but not a how-to book, November 26, 2008
M. Carole (West Hills, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyday Matters (Paperback)
As other reviewers note, this is one man's journal that came about after his wife had an unexpected, life-changing accident. It is inspirational in the sense that Danny encourages you to do the same, and his own work is absolutely charming, but it is NOT a book on how to draw or make an art journal. I bring this up because this book comes up on searches linked to books that are geared that way, and as such can be misleading. It is far more akin to an autobiography than an art instruction book, and I thought a more clear explanation would help others in knowing what they're getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing!, October 11, 2004
N. Kite (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyday Matters (Hardcover)
After reading Everday Matters I felt like I'd had a mini vacation, met some wonderful people, and it ended too soon! Refreshing and inspiring - not just for art, but for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down! Great Book!, September 15, 2006
This review is from: Everyday Matters (Hardcover)
This book is actually the "textbook" for the pen and ink drawing class that I am taking. I bought it ahead of time and read it in 2 days! I had a hard time putting it down and now that I am finished I keep going back to it to discover the clever ways Mr. Gregory depicts life in the big city and abroad. What he has to say ranges from being dramatic to funny and interesting. He takes the every day things we take for granted and makes them into something worth taking a second look at. I am thinking of buying all of the books he writes.....This is good stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous book, January 13, 2004
Lou Simmons (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyday Matters (Hardcover)
This is a wonderful book, full of fabulous drawings and stories.
Makes you to look at the small details of your life in a fresh way. Would make an amazing present for anyone - I had it as a christmas present but had to wrestle it out of the hands of different family members who were all just as enthralled by it.
Is great to read as a journal / art book but also SO INSPIRING for anyone who would like to or does draw. Danny's weblog is also worth checking out at [...] for even more inspiration!
This is the type of book you don't read just once, everytime you pick it up, you notice something different. Will be buying more copies as birthday presents!

5.0 out of 5 stars From the heart, July 12, 2006
This review is from: Everyday Matters (Hardcover)
Wow! I really got a surprise when I started reading this book - it's very honest. When I received the book (along with 2 others on subject of keeping a journal) I was rather dismayed by the cover - thinking it was just another "cute" book - but, I was very pleasantly surprised. This small book is the most inspiring tome I've read yet on journaling. The author, Danny Gregory spreds his emotions and thoughts on the page - just like peanut butter on bread. Try it, you'll want more.

4.0 out of 5 stars A different view on life, November 7, 2003
This review is from: Everyday Matters (Hardcover)
This is an outstanding book which keeps you busy much longer than the time you need to read the text or look at the drawings. The personal drama almost never turns into self-pity, which is important. Some thoughts stay in your mind, as they express something substantial in life we've almost forgotten. Apart from that, some of the drawings seem to have lost context to the story, like children who have lost their parents (if you know what I mean). Perhaps, Mr. Gregory loved to show some of the wonderful drawings without having a precise idea where to integrate them. But as the book is full of associations, just ignore it. Everyday matters is still lying on my kitchen table and often in the morning, I have one more look at the drawings and texts - still discovering new things. Perfect, isn't it?

Everyday Matters
Everyday Matters by Danny Gregory (Paperback - January 9, 2007)
$15.00 $12.35