Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on February 20, 2014
I agree with the other reviewer who says, "I've made a decent amount of recipes from this book and I feel like I'm able to write a good review now for this book. What I like about it is how quick and easy the recipes are. Makes going raw that much easier. I also like the variety of recipes- smoothies, drinks, soups, starters, mains etc. Unfortunately, after making seven odd recipes, there are only a few I thought were absolutely delicious and would make again.'
Well, I've made more then 7 myself and I have liked a few of them quite a bit, but some are really not good, I second the cream of miso Shiitake as not good, raw shiitake are just rubber! I wish everything I tried was at least tasty but maybe not to my taste, but some were just bad.
I do think that the book is well laid out, recipes are clear and the equipment needed is not as intense as some raw books. This would be a good book to have once you know what raw tastes you like and can gauge say what raw shiitake's would taste like.
My favorite raw cookbook is, Going Raw by Judita Wignall, everything I've made in that one has been great.
on June 23, 2012
I've made a decent amount of recipes from this book and I feel like I'm able to write a good review now for this book. What I like about it is how quick and easy the recipes are. Makes going raw that much easier. I also like the variety of recipes- smoothies, drinks, soups, starters, mains etc. Unfortunately, after making seven odd recipes, there are only a few I thought were absolutely delicious and would make again. Here's a rundown on the recipes I've made.

Cream of miso with shiitake mushrooms. Really don't like this one. The base of the soup is good but I don't like shiitake mushrooms raw. They taste better cooked in my opinion.

Zucchini with sweet corn pesto. This was nice. I enjoyed the flavors and textures in this one.

Spaghetti and meatballs. Spaghetti was good. I messed up the recipe for the meatballs so I dont know how they tasted.

Squash blossoms tamales with sweet pea puree. I didn't like this one. I'm not sure what I did wrong but the tamale part was just mushy. No bueno.

Spring vegetable couscous. Made but haven't tried yet.

Portobello steak with wilted spinach. As long as you put a lot of marinated on this one, I like it.

Chocolate hemp milk custard. Fabulous! I love love love this recipe! It's genius and tastes great.

I think my palate is a stickler for texture more than anything. For the mushroom recipes, I may pressure cook the mushrooms and add them to the recipes. Overall, some great recipes, some misses in my book.
on February 3, 2015
These recipes are very beautiful, but not worth all the trouble. I don't get what all the fuss is over Mathew Kenney. The portions are miniscule, and they're more works of art than actual food. I don't want to spend 20 minutes making a pretty sauce and a fancy garnish to drizzle over a piece of lettuce. (FYI - I eat about 75% raw and have for about 4 years, so I'm not a newbie). Buy Judita Wignall Raw and Simple - much more real, yet healthy food.
on July 10, 2013
I read all the back ground story and it is great to understand that a potentially dreadful path could be changed. This cooking book is yummy and perfect for people who enjoy CREATING food. I love eating, eating healthily, but I don't have the time or desire to spend long periods of time preparing yummy, divine appetizers - this is when I love going out... This cooking book is really nice, but a fair bit too time consuming for me in my daily life.
on March 23, 2014
Has some pretty simple recipes with easy to find ingredients. I could not give it five stars though. Seems like I could find these recipes via Google but it's great to have a nice selection all together.
on July 12, 2013
I've only tried a few recipes so far. Many require exotic ingredients such as "noma shoyu." I assume it's a condiment like soy sauce, but don't really know. One requires squash blossoms as a main ingredient. How would one get them without having your own garden? Some recipes seem simple enough - will try the avocado-that tastes like chocolate mousse.
on August 14, 2012
The recipes are okay. A little TOO gourmet for my taste, and not actually what I was looking for. Photos are beautiful.
on January 12, 2015
Not as helpful as expected. Very basic recipes that either most people could come up with or are recipes that contain ingredients I can't get where I live for a decent price.
on March 2, 2016
I guess it's ok but didn't turn me on much...
on October 14, 2012
We really need all the raw food recipe books the more the better and this one is informative on sauces etc, only I give 3stars because of the ingredients used like mizo and soy sauce to salty and extreme for my taste buds