5.0 out of 5 stars Very Funny Book to Aid Toilet Training (or Just For Laughs)
Published on December 30, 2000 by ChristineMM

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a try
Published on March 21, 2005 by Alex's Mom

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Funny Book to Aid Toilet Training (or Just For Laughs), December 30, 2000
A hilarious book showing many kinds of animals, their poop, and describing where and how they poop (e.g. while walking). Also reviewed are the ways a baby poops in a diaper, small child in a potty, and older children and adults on a toilet. Hysterical graphics such as rear view of child sitting on toilet with the poop in midair, which we see between the gap in his buttock cheeks. Other scenes demonstrate how the toilet is flushed and the poop is washed down the pipes.

Illustrations are cartoon like. This was originally published in Japan and therefore the human characters are all Asian. How lucky for us English-speaking parents to have this translated version!

The goal of this book is to review with the child the progression of moving from diapers to toilets. It is a funny way to talk about poop with the child. Every child who has seen our book laughs out loud. Many adults who have seen our book think it is so funny. The exception is my husband who thinks this is just gross. If you need to interject some humor in the toilet learning process, read this to your child!

Update December 2008: I'm surprised that I had said my husband thought the book was gross. He went on to like it, laugh at it, and to really like the book. By the time we were reading the book to our second child, my husband loved the book. We now buy this book for gifts for toddlers who are approaching the toilet training time.

Also Note: Toilet training is not always easy. No picture book can train your child to use the toilet! But a book can be a gateway for discussion between parent and child, and it can (depending on the book) add an element of laughter, which can be good medicine to what can sometimes be a stressful time for parent and child alike, especially for kids who are really anxious and scared about toilet training.

5.0 out of 5 stars ...Because Poop Happens, August 9, 2006
If you have read any of my other reviews you will see that I am a pretty open guy. I love metaphysics and all things spiritual, but one thing that I have definitely learned while here in this world of form is that poop definitely happens.

One reviewer said that they wouldn't recommend it to a child...why? Children are fascinated by things like this. I remember the first time my niece was consciously aware that she was eliminating something from her body. She was so excited and so delighted about it that she wanted me to see, "Look Uncle Johnny! Look what I did..."

And I looked in the toliet and there it was, a big, smelly brown poop. I told my brother (her father) that we should press it in a book, but he wasn't too open to that idea. these people that get so offended over pooping and farting just really need to get over themselves. Everyone poops. Even the Pope poops. in fact, the Pope probably pooped today. I know I did.

If this review discredits me as a reviewer, so be it...I just find that in order to be real we have to embrace the good, the bad, and the smelly.

Let's get this Potty started!

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a try, March 21, 2005
I'm having a horrible time getting my 3 1/2 year old son to use the potty. I've tried it all - rewards of various types and all sorts of "fun" stuff (stickers, getting a toy from the "potty prize bag", peeing on Piddlers, which are styrofoam-type fish that disolve in the toilet, food treats, reading books, decorating the potty, using a favorite cartoon character toilet seat, glow in the dark pull-ups . . .shall I go on?) I saw this book at a local book store, and thought some of the pictures were a bit gross (specifically the one with the lion eating), but my son likes it. He now tells me that he takes a big elephant poop. Now if I can just get him to take that big elephant poop on the potty and not in the diaper!! This book at least has him talking about where he should poop, which is a bigger show of success than I've yet to witness. Even though it might be a little yucky to some adults, I think it's worth a shot for anyone who may be struggling with toilet training. It's at least worth a shot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, November 16, 2001
My 2 year old is obsessed with "poopy". When we started to potty train her, she was upset when she did a poopy. To address this problem, we bought Everyone Poops. She loves it and the phrase, "It's OK, because everyone poops!" has become a favorite in our household. I highly recommend this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight for "poopers" of all ages and species, October 28, 2000
"An elephant makes a big poop--a mouse makes a tiny poop." These straightforward observations mark the beginning of Taro Gomi's wonderful picture book "Everyone Poops." Not only is this beautifully illustrated book a great way to teach kids about a basic body function, it's also a wonderfully funny treat for adult readers.
I imagine that some prudish parents will be put off by Gomi's explicit (but charming) pictures of animals and humans taking "poops" of all shapes, sizes, and colors. But Gomi's basic message is sound: relieving one's bowels is a normal part of our everyday lives. In a world where too many people are too embarrassed to ask their doctor about colorectal cancer and other "poop"-related health problems, Taro Gomi's book is especially valuable. If the child (or parent) who enjoys this book feels less squeamish about discussing colorectal health concerns at a later time, than Gomi will have done more than just entertain; the author may have also helped save a life. So buy "Everyone Poops" and share it with the ones you love.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple pictures and story to illustrate a bodily function., December 8, 1998
By A Customer
My 3 year old is fascinated with bodily functions and therefore this book is a very important one to him! He gets very serious when we read this book together. It features various animals and people and their poop. It's a straight-forward story that tells children that pooping is something everyone does. I don't know if it's helpful in potty training (my son is not yet potty trained) but it sure might be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great learning book for children, October 13, 2002
"Everyone Poops" is an excellent well-written book with simple vocabulary children can understand. The illustrations are colorful, and accurately show a variety of animals and humans pooping. The greatest thing about this book, is that the author shows a young child sitting on a potty or tiolet, and the actual poop falling into the bowl. Children can identify with the realistic illustrations, and learn that it is okay to poop because everyone poops! I highly recommend this book to any parent with children who are about to enter into the potty training stage.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK IS SO ENJOYABLE THAT MY 60+ YEAR OLD AUNT CRIED, March 23, 2000
with laughter while reading this book with my 4 year old. She was laughing so hard in fact....it made EVERYONE in the room laugh hysterically. That's the amazing thing about this book...on one level it's about teaching children about their bodies... teaching children that pooping happens to all of us and all animals. On an other level there are some open questions promoting thought. On another level the art work is colorful, accurate, and humorous to children and adults. This is how the book brings adults and kids together....with humorous illustrations and simpley chosen words. its a winner

5.0 out of 5 stars Toilet training made easier!!!, February 27, 2005
Pam "Pam" (Germantown, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyone Poops (My Body Science Series) (Paperback)
I know 3 children who were completely potty-trained for #1, but were having major difficulties with wanting to use the potty for #2. Two of the had been having daily #2 "accidents" for months. All three of these kids were absolutely fascinated with the picture of the little boy going poop. The drawing shows the boy from the rear sitting on the toliet and actually shows a small amount of poop going from the boy into the toliet. It was as tasteful as it could possibly be given the nature of this business. All three kids just stared at this picture and within 48 hours of reading this book while sitting on the potty, all three were using the potty for #2. I honestly believe that this picture took away the mystery and fear associated with this very natural function. It gave them a visual cue that they certainly didn't have before this book. I cannot recommend this book enough if your child is having any difficulty pooping in the potty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes those questions just need to be answered, August 2, 2005
One morning, my 4 year old and I were spending some Mommy/Daughter time, when she asked me, "Mommy, do Hippo's poop?" I laughed and told her, "honey everyone poops, everything that is alive poops!" At that moment, I remembered there was a book about that same exact subject that my oldest daughter's friend had.

This book is a humorous story directed toward preschoolers. They giggle while it's being read to them. My six year old neighbor read it in delight as she laughed at the pictures. My four year old has fun "reading" it with me, since it's short and she memorized it easily.

I did not get offended by the subject, and if there's a book out there that answers a curious question that maybe many young children have, this is a good book to share with them, to laugh along with them, and to open the door of communication with them.

Everyone Poops (My Body Science Series)
Everyone Poops (My Body Science Series) by Gomi Taro (Paperback - October 1, 2001)
Used & New from: $3.99