Panasonic DMC-FZ150K 12.1 MP Digital Camera with CMOS Sensor and 24x Optical Zoom (Black)
Used & New from: $279.00
To Everyone Who Does A Camera Review It would really be helpful if everyone who does a camera review mentions their previous camera(s). I want to know, for example, if you are reviewing an ultrazoom now, whether your other camera is a DSLR or a pocket point and shoot or both. If the new camera is a step up or a step down I want to take into consideration why you might be ecstatic or disappointed with the new one. If you shoot primarily in some auto mode, please mention that. If you say the controls are complex, I want to know if you are a first time user of Brand X's camera or if you've had other Brand X cameras. Also, it would help to know under what conditions/scenarios you tested the image quality. What kind of photos did you primarily take with the new camera before you wrote your review? Lastly, I want to thank all of you for helping the rest of us make better decisions.
asked by Birdie on April 13, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
I wholly agree with the FZ 150 camera assessments on this forum. I have been shooting with a Nikon D90 and an Olympus EPL-2. Two months ago I got this Panasonic and sold the EPL-2 because it is basically a smaller and lighter version of the APS-C SLRs. Whereas the FZ150 is not only packed with features and produces great but not professional images, it does have a built-in zoom and that's what I wanted outside of an SLR.

After using it on my Beijing vacation for the past 8 days averaging about 200 images a day, the one wish list I have is for an extended battery grip. This camera is so useful it is with me all the time, so the grip will play a big part in ergonomic comfort where portraits and the handling will be easier. As is, I do find the camera grip to be too small for comfort. Obviously this is my personal opinion since outside of SLR's this thing is not physically small relatively speaking.

If anyone knows of such a grip, please share.

Finally though sometimes I really do miss the high quality images only an SLR could achieve with the right fast lens. When I hiked 2 hours up, and then 2 hours down, the Great Wall of China, I did not miss the extra weight a bit. :)
David L. answered on June 6, 2012
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Late to respond, but my previous camera was a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ18, a point and shoot camera which I thought took outstanding pictures...until I bought the DMC-FZ150. Holy cow! What a jump in performance that even an unsavvy enthusiast like myself can actually use. I am, however, shocked by the price increase. I had to buy it online because it wasn't available locally but with the reviews and my past experience with Panasonic, I took a deep breath and did it, purchasing it through Amazon for $439 in early April 2012. I consider it top echelon of the "amateur" use cameras.
Irene123 answered on June 21, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I am a photography enthusiast, been taking pictures for about 10 years now.
1. The FZ150 is my "walk around without worry" type of camera. I live in a city where one needs to be careful with photographic gear. Besides the FZ150 is incredibly light.
2. I own a Nikon D90 with a permanent lens 17-55, 2.8 lens = 2.5 pounds This is an almost professional gear. Great for landscape photography which is what I mostly do.
3. However, my FZ150 has a very nice zoom that has not disappointed me given that the FZ150 is at the level of "very useful toy." I find "noise" at very bright day light, more so than at my night shots. I guess it is because one expects noise in low light situations with a non professional camera/lens. Realize that you can get noise even with professional equipment.
4. Controls are not hard to learn at all. I am a small woman so I do not have problems with selecting the wrong bottom either. The only problem I still have is reviewing my videos. So far, I have to put the file in my computer to see the video but I am unable to find a way to watch my video in the camera. It is probably my laziness in reading the bloody instructions book or it could be that the camera does not provide that feature. If it is the latter, then it is a holly pain. However, I seldom use the video feature both in the FZ 150 and in the D90.
5. The anti-shake works great. But remember, for low light situations you can always use a tripod or a piece of furniture to rest your camera.
6. With my D90 I shot Manual mode w/ tripod most of the time. With the FZ150 I shoot IA and the pre-set modes. It is like my upgraded point and shot.
In sum, I strongly recommend this camera for people who do not need to produce kprofessional photos but just to have fun. It will give you a lot of pleasure. Do you want perfection? Well, then start saving because you will need an initial investment of at least $5,000 and a great physical shape to walk around with your gear.
Good luck!
Marx Lives answered on May 29, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
That is what I needed to hear! I have the Canon EOS 7D and love it, But...as you said by the time you carry around all the gear for "sight seeing", I'm exhausted. I too am looking for that mid level (super zoom) companion to go along with my Canon when called of. I was a little hesitant to go with a Panasonic but everything I have read about this camera has been positive.

I have yet to actually find a store who has one on display, looks like I will have to order it blindly and pray!
JEABOR answered on June 1, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product