Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

75%
25%
Format: Audio Cassette|Change

on August 7, 1997
Of the 1000's of books written on leadership in the past 100 years, this one presents a very real picture of world we live in. Too many of the books I've read lately give us the magic formulas to follow, some leading us through a veritable mathematical maze to tell us what kind of leader we are. "Principle-Centered Leadership" by Covey and "The Platinum Rule" fall into this category. What Blanchard and Shula have done, and done quite successfully is to integrate theory with actual examples. While I don't agree with everything that Shula has done, I do applaud his efforts. I do absolutely believe in his philosophy of "Lead by example," and the necessity of developing trust. Both Shula and Blanchard emphasize this aspect of leadership as critical. There are too many so-called leaders in the corporate world who do not lead by example. They are quite willing to demand of you what they are unwilling to do themselves. On top of the quality of the reading, the book is very easy to read. I hi
on April 7, 2004
What makes this book so effective is that the advice offered is not only solid, but it can be applied immeditely. It's a "hands on" doer's guide. The strength Ken Blanchard brings is his strong Christian influence. Shula's credentials consist of his long term track record as an NFL coach. In this book Shula describes how he leads by example and thorough preparation.
One place this book separtes itself from books of this genre is that it emphasizes "follow through" as contrasted with goal-setting. That's an action focus. It puts the spotlight on doing something.
on December 29, 2003
Don Shula, the National Football League's all-time winningest coach, teamed up with Ken Blanchard, the internationally known and multiple award-winning author, educator, and management and leadership consultant, and together they co-wrote an outstanding book about leaders getting the best performance from the individuals and organizations they are privileged to lead. Whether you are responsible for the performance of multiple organizations, or for just one other individual, the leadership wisdom and insights in this book can help you maximize your coaching and leadership effectiveness.

The winning combination of the two separately distinguished leaders in their respective fields, and the complementary structure of the book were brilliant. Organized around the acronym C.O.A.C.H., the five coaching "secrets" that Shula had practiced and Blanchard has been teaching for over 30 years, the book alternated synergistic passages from Shula then Blanchard to explore and explain the acronym in theory and practice from the football gridiron to modern business situations, and ultimately to the game of life.

Here's how Shula and Blanchard define and think about the acronym C.O.A.C.H.:
Conviction-Driven: Effective leaders stand for something.
Overlearning: Effective leaders help their teams achieve practice perfection.
Audible-Ready: Effective leaders, and the people and teams they coach, are ready to change their game plan when the situation demands it.
Consistency: Effective leaders are predictable in their response to performance.
Honesty-Based: Effective leaders have high integrity and are clear and straightforward in their interactions with others.

Conviction-Driven: "Someone has said that a river without banks is a puddle. When I apply that saying to human interactions, it reminds me of the job of a coach. Like those river-banks, a good coach provides the direction and concentration for performers' energies, helping channel all their efforts toward a single desired outcome. Without that critical influence, the best achievements of the most talented performers can lack the momentum and drive that make a group of individuals into champions."

Overlearning: "To me a game doesn't end when the clock finally runs out. It ends on Monday, after we've analyzed every play and learned all we can from it...Failure is successfully finding out what you don't want to repeat...Learning is defined as a change in behavior. You haven't learned a thing until you can take action and use it."

Audible-Ready: "Preparation means everything to me. I'm passionate about my players being ready for anything. Now, part of being ready is being able to shift your game plan at will. I see myself as a battlefield commander who has the guts to make the right moves to win. I want to be prepared with a plan - and then to expect the unexpected and be ready to change this plan. I must preserve the right to change - even to change at the last moment - as circumstances demand...Audibles aren't surprises - just new ways of doing what you already know how to do. Business people need to learn to call audibles, because in today's world, nothing stays the same."

Consistency: "Your team will soon learn what your standards are and perform accordingly. I not only insist on practice perfection, I'm there to see that it takes place. I don't miss practices. I need to be out there smelling out whatever isn't working. Even the slightest deviation from perfection needs to be noticed and corrected on the spot. Correcting and redirecting performance is strategically important - it's where we outstrip the competition. Some coaches will let little things go. Right there is where the difference is made. To me, it's not a matter of how many times we've done it or how late it is or how tired the players are. We'll do it until we get it right. Then we won't deviate from it in the game. I'd rather throw out a play or formation during practice than find out it can't be done correctly in the ball game. We seldom try anything on game day that we haven't been able to perfect in practice. If I'm asking our players to do something they can't do, I want to know about it now."

Honesty-Based: "I have a straight-up approach. I don't know how to go around corners or how to finesse. My players know this and they expect candor from me. Congruence is important to me. What you see with Don Shula is what you get. I don't play games. Effective coaches confront their people, praise them sincerely, redirect or reprimand them without apology, and above all are honest with them. Integrity pays, and integrity means being honest with yourself and others. This is a key ingredient in my coaching philosophy."

In his introduction to the book, Blanchard stated that he is on a search for simple truths to help leaders and managers be their best. With Shula's proven long-term coaching effectiveness as the foundation for this book, Blanchard has found and shared many simple leadership truths and complexities. This book would be a welcome addition to anyone's coaching or leadership collection.
on October 14, 2014
This is a timeless book for anyone wanting to become a better manager of people. Great managers are great "Coaches" and want their teams to succeed. You also can't manage effectively from afar. This book will teach you how to get the best from your people and when that happens, everyone is successful.
on February 15, 2009
As an Australian I have had very little exposure to NFL football and did not know of Don Shula, his records or his coaching philosophy... having said that, I was geatly impressed with Shula, his approach to coaching, training and people... and equally pleased that Ken Blanhard could bring life to these principles within the business dynamic.

The book offers a wonderful collage of stories from Shula, the players and officials that give insight to the man behind the records, so for Dolphin or NFL fans, it, in my humble opinion, makes for a good read.

The book also offers a business perspective on the coaching principles of Shula, offerred by Blanchard. For those interested in coaching people or teams, be it in sport or in business, it offers wonderful gems and insight.

I really enjoyed it and gained a lot, though I must say, it is not an 'answer-all' for leadership and coaching. It is, however, a wonderful place to visit to refuel your passion and interest in honouring others and leading them to their potential through the process of coaching.
on July 26, 2011
It is quite impossible to inspire someone else if we are not inspired ourselves. That is pretty obvious. And as the master painter and draftsman once noted, "Wisdom is the daughter of experience." The book is authored by NFL coaching legend Don Shula, and Ken Blanchard, a prominent businessman. The authors derive the many anecdotes for this book from their own success. Basically, the book is composed of the following useful information: advice, strategies, summaries, key points, varying points-of-view, and so forth. I found the book to be a good, thorough read. Sometimes, what I need is concise, well-organized reminders of what works and does not work for someone who wishes to be at the top of their game. The book is not a magical pill. Besides, why should it even be that easy? Perhaps there is another coaching book out there that offers more inspiration. Who knows? It is really a matter of taste or preference. Nonetheless, Shula and Blanchard's book is informational and all information is useful, especially if it comes fairly cheap. Just layer it on if you must have more. Otherwise, this is a good, useful read.
on March 24, 2011
When I first read this book, 15 years ago, I didn't understand so much because I was not used to American Football then I decided to learn about it and everything becomes more clear to me, the acrostic: Conviction-Driven, Overlearning, Audible-Ready, Consistency and Honest-Based is very simple to understand and apply.
on August 14, 2008
There are some typos in here that take away from the book, such as the gaff that the '73 (it was the '72)Dolphins being perfect. Did Shula forget the date, or did he EVEN proof-read the text? No matter, it IS a very good and positive book anyway and much can be taken out of it and used in everyday life. Shula'slegend lives on!
on February 21, 1999
This is a must buy for every coaches library. Coach Shula explores all of the areas a coach is confronted with. He gives the reader his philosophy on coaching and relates it to life's teachings.
on August 6, 2013
I bought this audio book to learn to coach - I dont do sports so I did not have a reference to use to learn to coach sales people - This Audio book was helpful giving me some tips.