Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blue October Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

96%

on June 28, 1998
First published in 1992, this book was taken up by the Canadian Medical Association. I borrowed the 'Canadianised' version from my local public library in London England, shortly after my lymphoma was diagnosed. As I am the Canadian Medical Association Journal's European Correspondent, I took this as a favourable omen!
Subtitled 'how cancer is diagnosed, treated and managed day to day' the book contained everything I wished to know - and I am a demanding patient when it comes to information.
It truly contains everything a person is likely to want to know, from living with a stoma to what happens in radiation therapy. If you want to know how each and every cancer is treated, and what the prognosis is, enquire within. It suggests questions you might want to ask your oncologist. It tells you what side effects to expect and how to deal with them. It is neither gloomy nor cheery, but simply a mine of information. It also tells you what new and innovative treatments are around the corner. Not a word is wasted, and nothing is left out.
Several of my friends, and my friends' friends, have cancer. They use me as an information service - not only because I am a medical journalist (and have been for 20 years longer than I've had the lymphoma) but because I can pass on information from this book.
I hope it has been translated into other languages - the whole world should have a chance to consult it when needed.
Two other good books I can recommend are by Rob Buckman, a British/Canadian oncologist, and that by professor Jeffrey Tobias, a British oncologist. I'd rate both of these as ****, mainly because they are less detailed.
These three books make a refreshing change from the plethora of 'alternative' cancer books, most of which, to my mind, peddle dangerous and sometimes life-threatening drivel.
The only thing missing from this book is cartoons!
on October 6, 1999
This book is a one stop guide to so many things involving therapies that it is hard to know where to start. Cancer nurses feel this is the best consumer book out there. Information is in plain English, simple terms, with lots of illustrations. Tons of referrals to agencies that may be helpful.
on December 12, 2014
I work as a therapist at a Cancer Center and am constantly looking through this book to ensure I am capturing a thorough understanding of my patients' diagnoses. I found it incredibly helpful, informative, and translatable to individuals with varying experience and involvement with cancer treatment.
on June 13, 2002
It is a wealth of information - that every person diagnosed with any type of cancer can benefit from. Having had 2 bouts with breast cancer, I have bought many books. This one is the best resource book I have found. I have loaned it out many times and everyone is thankful for the information.
It is written in an easy style, such that an average person can understand the language. It presents many questions for the patient & family to ask doctors, along with the many options available.
I highly recommend this for anyone who needs any type of information about cancer and it's treatments.
on September 24, 2013
I first bought this book in 1992 when my sister had cancer. It educated me quickly on what questions I should be asking and to who.

I kept it by my side through numerous trips to the National Cancer Institute and local doctors. It not just a description of the different type of cancers but contains good advice on pain control, nausea, depression and other related subjects. Without this book or one similar, you are just like a lamb going to the slaughterhouse. You will be run over by the huge medical system.

Since then, I have purchased it for friends who have been diagnosed with cancer. I am afraid I have purchased far too many.

Unfortunately, a dear employee of mine's child has just come down with sarcoma so I find myself ordering it again as I know it will be helpful.
on October 24, 1998
Half way through my chemo treatments, my doctor's office recieved three copies of this book. I borrowed one. I was very impressed with the layout, the data covered, questions answered. This is a very thought out book. I figured I would have it returned to the office by Christmas (three months away) but I was halfway through the first weekend. I highly recommend this book. It is interesting and EASY reading. I like knowing the information that can save my life, now and down the road.
on May 11, 2006
While working in a very large private hospital in Omaha, I worked in Radiation Oncology. Finding myself alone, without a nurse to teach me how to teach my patients, a friend suggested this book. I purchased it, devoured it and put the information to use, teaching my patients about treatment protocols, systems involved in their treatment process, in terms that they could understand. I recommended this book to many of them, they always returned to thank me for suggesting the book. CC
on October 18, 1998
I have been using this book for 8 years and have found it useful in teaching new orientees to oncology as well as patients. It is written in a way that everyone can understand. It is a quick reference guide when needed. I truly recommend this book to everyone.
on November 19, 2014
This is the greatest book I believe for cancer patients. It is so full of up to date information. You find and read your own problems and learn what meds and procedures will work and you and your Dr. can choose. You learn things your team may not inform you about. And the Questions to ask in advance and during and after your care.

This book I have given to about 10 others. It was given to me 15 years ago by a friend an I'm returning the favor to others.
on August 12, 2008
The first edition of "Everyone's Guide to Cancer Therapy" was recommended to us some ten years ago and we decided to update to the 5th Edition. This volume contains nearly 50% more information on the advances in detection, treatment and prognoses of the various types of cancer. Not being a physician, I have found that the references are easily read and understandable. It provides insight on prevention and treatment.

Great strides are being made and this book gives inspiration and hope that our doctors will continue to attack cancer in all forms.

I recommend this reference book to all who want an authoritative source to understand the types and stages of most common cancers.

Everyone's Guide to Cancer Therapy; Revised 5th Edition: How Cancer Is Diagnosed, Treated, and Managed Day to Day (Everyone's Guide to Cancer Therapy)