5.0 out of 5 stars Everything Changes ~ An Inspirational & Beautiful Album
I have had the unique opportunity, along with many other fans, to follow the progress of this album online over the past 5 years. I heard early rough cuts of a few of the songs early on & it has been a joy to see this album finally come to fruition.

Published on October 14, 2011 by J. Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars mellow
This is a different musical direction for this artist in that it is so mellow.
Thoughtful lyrics but lacking the drive and jump beat versatility
as in previous music. so I guess as the title states everything changes.
yawn
Published 13 months ago by F. J. Suglia

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything Changes ~ An Inspirational & Beautiful Album, October 14, 2011
This review is from: Everything Changes (Audio CD)

It's really difficult for me to choose one favorite song on this album. Although, I have to say that "Everything Changes", "Hold On", "Touch The Sky", "Invisible", "Just For You", "Always", & "Beautiful" are my MOST favorite. But I really do love them all!

Julian Lennon has been quoted as saying that he feels this is his best work to date. Although his earlier work was amazing in itself, I have to agree with that statement. This album has a more free flowing & peaceful feel than some of his earlier work. It truly shows where he is mentally & spiritually these days, which is in a very good place.

I may be somewhat biased, but I truly do love his work & would recommend this album to anyone who loves all music. He truly is a very creative & talented song smith in his own right. "Everything Changes" is a solid album start to finish.

Thank you, Julian Lennon, for sharing your talent with us. A truly inspirational & beautiful album. <3

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Thoughtful !!, October 21, 2011
This review is from: Everything Changes (Audio CD)
I watched Julian get interviewed and he feels this music is really him. I think people should just stop hyper-analyzing the music and enjoy it for what it is. He is not John, and it doesn't matter how long it took to complete this cd. The fact is each song offers something unique for the listener. Lets just listen, take it in and realize this is a masterpiece! My favorite track is Disconnected but I love every song! If you dont't have it,buy it!! You will not be disappointed!! Go to You Tube and watch the fantastic video of "Lookin 4 Luv" it really is a beautiful video!! It is one of the best, creative, well filmed pieces of music I have seen! This should be number#1 on the VH1 Countdown!! Hey, thats an idea, lets try and get this great music out to the masses to hear!! With the last name of Lennon you know the shoes are almost impossible to fill but Julian is a master composer and musician, and he sings with such emotion that you have to Love him!! Great job Julian this is the best cd of 2011 in my opinion!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Falling Through Starlight, January 7, 2012
This review is from: Everything Changes (Audio CD)
I have three of Julian's earliest albums, (Valotte, Secret Life of Dreaming, Mr. Jordan) which I liked. However, nothing prepared me for how incredibly brilliant this CD is. While the public will always know him as John Lennon's son, his music on this set draws from his father's work and to a lesser degree that of George Harrison's, but without being derivative in any way. The opening title track has a pensive piano lead with Julian's voice coming in strong and confident, "Tired of the lies, All the people in pain, we all suffer the same without love; We can't carry on with the hunger, disease and the threat of you dropping the bomb; I can change; You can change." Amazing. "Touch the Sky" again touches the musical stratosphere with a lovely string arrangement and Julian's vocals passionate and haunting, "We all want to Touch the Sky; We all ask the question, 'How do I survive? Will I be strong enough?' We all need a helping hand; We all fall but then we stand and show the strength I see in all of us every single day." It is a life-affirming anthem. "Invisible" is musically gorgeous with the plaintive guitar and background vocals that sound incredibly Beatlesque, "Falling through the starlight, slowly feeling sound, know that love surrounds you." "Just for You" is a delightful rock meditation with Julian's vocals burning, "You know I've talked to the Virgin Mary, prayed to the Holy Ghost, hung with the Bodhisattva for the one I love the most; and I've danced with the fallen angels, torn down the temple in two, sold my soul to the shadowman just for you." "Always" stuns with its clarity and potency of the musical and lyrical marriage, "Until we get it right, the universe will cry; Until we get it right, religion will divide, The politics will lie, The blind will lead the blind, an empire for an eye." "Disconnect" draws some of Harrison's musical flavor in a delightful mantra, "Life is deeper than the sea; Oh close your eyes and learn to breathe, cradle life and love and let it flow." On "Guess It Was Me" Julian self-analyzes with a powerful punch, "Now I find the world's a different place; I just opened up my arms and learned to love and embrace." On the back cover, we see a butterfly with Julian's mirror image. It's a lovely photographic metaphor for watching this son of one of the world's most brilliant musicians emerge himself as a brilliant musician. HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION! BRAVO!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great album from Julian, October 14, 2011
steve_manassas (Manassas, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everything Changes (Audio CD)
Except for the Lucy EP released late last year, and the best-of collection, VH1 Behind the Music: The Julian Lennon Collection, this is Julian Lennon's first effort since 1998's Photograph Smile. And it was well worth the wait, because every track is a gem. My favorite is the last track, "Beautiful," which could have been written as a tribute to his dad, although Julian doesn't say so. The lyrics do fit, though. For the 2013 re-release, Julian dedicated "Beautiful" (also on the Lucy EP) to his mom Cynthia, and her late husband, Noel Charles (in 2011, when Noel was still alive, the entire CD was dedicated to them).

There probably won't be a domestic U.S. release of this album, because the import version (released on the UK Conehead imprint) is easily available online, which should sufficiently meet the demand for the album. That is what happened with his last album; by the time Photograph Smile was released in the U.S. on Universal's Fuel 2000 imprint in early 1999, most fans had already purchased the original UK version or the 16-track Japanese import with 2 bonus tracks ("Don't Let Me Down," a Julian original not related to his dad's Beatles song, and a cover version of America's "I Need You," both of which were released on CD singles in the UK).

Anyway, enjoy this album, and hopefully Julian and brother Sean will do something together soon.

UPDATE: I just ordered the new 2013 version of this CD, which features two bonus tracks, a slightly different running order, and according to Julian, has been remixed. I received it on October 12, 2013. The new version has two extra tracks: "Someday," a Beatlesque duet with Steven Tyler, which references the Fabs' "Baby, You're A Rich Man," and a wistful ballad called "In Between." The other 12 tracks don't appear to sound any different than the 2011 edition, so if Julian did remix them, as he claims, the differences are very subtle. Aside from minor artwork differences, the packaging of the two releases is almost identical. The print in the 2013 booklet is larger and more readable than the 2011 version, which is a big help to us older folks.

If you have the 2011 version, I would still recommend the new one for the two additional tracks, though it is a bit pricey. If you didn't purchase this CD in 2011, than you're in for a treat, because the new songs make an already terrific album even more worthwhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, you won't soon forget this beauty!, October 22, 2011
Randall Richmond (Santa Rosa, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everything Changes (Audio CD)
Genius did not skip a generation in the Lennon family. The songs are slow paced, but perfectly conceived. Each one a haunting and beautiful gem. Julian is too old and now too old fashioned to get much air play, so forget it being a big seller. Hopefully He will be satisfied knowing that he has rewarded his listeners with a masterpiece! My favorite album this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta love Jules...another one worth the wait., June 19, 2012
This review is from: Everything Changes (Audio CD)
This new release from Jules in many ways continues the musical maturity of "Photograph Smile." Every song is well done with great keyboard arragements and harmonies. I do admit I love all his cd catalog and own it. I still enjoy listening to his earlier "pop" hits and still give them plenty of play, but this new cd has remained in play mode since I purchased it.

There are some great highlights, "Just For You," "Disconnected" and "Don't Wake Me Up," but as a whole, it is a great release and will be enjoyed by any Jules fan who purchased "Photograph Smmile."

This one gets five stars from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Album Ever!, October 19, 2011
This review is from: Everything Changes (Audio CD)
"Everything Changes" by Julian Lennon is an amazing album from start to finish. Each note is sung passionately, and each chord is played lovingly. The title track offers hope in a seemingly hopeless world. "Lookin' 4 Luv" details an honest search for that one soul mate. Julian gives you something to "Hold On" to as he performs this tune. "Touch the Sky" gives the listener inspiration to reach beyond any limits. "Invisible" offers a soothing melody. Julian rocks it out with "Just for You." He motivates us to make a positive change in "Always." "Disconnected" inspires members of the human race to love each other. "Never Let You Go" is a wonderful song of love and hope. "Guess it was Me" urges people to take a look inside and see the big picture. "Don't Wake Me Up" is peaceful and soothing throughout, and "Beautiful" is just that--beautiful. Each track is interlaced with amazing choruses and bridges that inspire the listener to smile. The artwork that is dedicated to each song is a masterpiece in and of itself. This album is proof that Julian Lennon is an artistic genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, June 15, 2012
Sue (Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everything Changes (Audio CD)
I love Julian Lennon! I love every song on this CD and that's not an easy thing to do. Very thought provoking. He's the best and his dad would be so proud...

4.0 out of 5 stars It's been 13 years, but it was well worth the wait.., October 20, 2011
This review is from: Everything Changes (Audio CD)
1998 was the year that Julian Lennon redeemed himself after putting out so much spotty work. The album he released, Photograph Smile, vindicated everyone who wanted to believe he was capable of putting out quality work worthy of his heavy last name. In my opinion, that album was the best to come out that year. Unfortunately, it was ignored by the general public and that seemed to have disillusioned Julian as it took 13 years for the follow-up.

Well the time has come and Julian has released the followup to that record. Everything Changes, at least lyrically, picks up right where PS left off. They deal with love, the search for it; being hurt by it and coming to grips with it. The song "Disconnected" seems to deal with the barriers we as humans put up and the title track gives us hope to try to break those down. Criticize him for being preachy, but this man's love for mother nature and the human race cannot be questioned.

The highlights for me are the first single "Lookin' 4 Luv", while a bit overproduced doesn't deter from the universal appeal of the lyrics. "Just For You" is hands down the best song on the album. The quiet singing of the verses don't prepare you for the explosive chorus. One of Julian's greatest vocal performances.

The reason I'm not giving this record 5 stars is, while the material on here is A-1 with beautiful melodies, great lyrics and fine production, the album desperately needs a few more upbeat tracks to avoid making the listening experience into a sleep inducing one.

Welcome back, Julian. I hope this record is the huge success you deserve and I hope the fans don't have to wait another 13 years for the followup.

Cesar
PS the packaging is top notch! A beautifully designed booklet with lyrics and musician credits and the CD comes in a soft sleeve (typical of LP's) so it won't get scuffed being pulled out of the jacket. A very nice touch and a rare one for digipacks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen to this CD!, October 23, 2011
This review is from: Everything Changes (Audio CD)
This cd is masterfully produced. Love the layers of harmonies and strings throughout. Every song is very well written. Mature with catchy hooks and chord changes everywhere. This is Julian Lennon at his best. Classic Julian with an updated sound. His voice is in top form. Hitting the sweet notes perfectly as he did 20 years ago. This is not a heavy rock n roll cd. Definetely adult contemporary. Very enjoyable to listen to over and over again. Each listen brings something new. I highly reccomend!

Everything Changes
Everything Changes by Julian Lennon (Audio CD - 2011)