5.0 out of 5 stars Everything Christmas lives up to its name!
Published on December 29, 2010 by Kindle Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Charming addition to any Christmas library
This is a lovely little book about Christmas. It's filled with recipes, thoughts and stories. There are historical tidbits about Christmas and Christmas traditions. The book corresponds to the days of the Advent with 24 days' worth of reading.

Published on October 29, 2010 by Holly

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything Christmas lives up to its name!, December 29, 2010
This review is from: Everything Christmas (Hardcover)
Everything Christmas is a unique and appropriately titled journey through stories, recipes, gift ideas, songs, poems and even Christmas humor! This book could easily become your go to Christmas handbook. There is a chapter for each day of December leading up to Christmas day. The author typically starts each day with a Christmas story or poem followed by recipes and interesting Christmas facts. Each chapter then includes a mixture of craft ideas, gift ideas, carols, etc. One very interesting benefit of this book compared to other Christmas books is its focus on multicultural Christmas traditions. The author covers traditions from Argentina, Bulgaria, Denmark, Greece and many more. As a reader of many Christmas books, I have never read one that includes such diverse information. I found it really exciting and informative. One additional note, this book would be extremely handy for Christmas party games. There is a wealth of Christmas trivia that could easily be the source for hours of fun.

In summary, I really enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised by the depth and diversity of Christmas information contained in this great book. Happy reading!

"I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review"

3.0 out of 5 stars Charming addition to any Christmas library, October 29, 2010
Holly (United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Everything Christmas (Hardcover)

I was distracted by some editing/proofreading errors which are annoying and unacceptable. I noticed several simply from reading the book and I wasn't reading to edit. The most glaring error was on page 33 in an excerpt from Princess Victoria's Diary, dated Christmas Eve, 1932. Given that Victoria became Queen of England in 1837, this is a careless error, whether it be a typo or a clear mistake. The Christmas Eve in question occurred in 1832, a fact easily verified online. Unfortunately, errors like this one make me question dates and facts, and there are lot of dates and facts in this little book.

Still it is a charming addition to any Christmas library, especially for someone who collects or enjoys Christmas books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything you ever wanted to know about Christmas, December 30, 2010
This review is from: Everything Christmas (Hardcover)
Christmas is my favorite time of year and I'm always looking for ways to make it more meaningful and fun for my family. I was so excited to have a chance to review a new book by David Bordon & Tim Winters called Everything Christmas. It is a collection of stories, carols, poems and holiday traditions from around the world.
I was surprised that a Christmas book with over 300 pages was such a page turner. I was afraid that it may be dry and read like a trivia or history book. The book is broken down by day beginning with December 1st and going through Christmas Eve. Each day is full of facts, history, heartwarming stories, traditions and more. It includes information about Christmas celebrations around the world such as traditional dishes and the history of Christmas there as well as the traditional Christmas dinner menu. Many recipes are included throughout the book such as Biscotti and Christmas Breakfast Casserole as well as clever ideas for gifts and activities. Lyrics for many popular Christmas carols are sprinkled in throughout. The origin of many traditions is explored also. It is a wonderful mixture of secular and religious ideas all rolled into this book that really does tell you everything you would want to know about Christmas.
This is a book that gets you into the Christmas Spirit and keeps you there all season long. I am excited to try some of the ideas to start new traditions with my family next year.

***I received this book for free from Blogging for Books to facilitate my review. All opinions are 100% my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything Christmas, December 28, 2010
Everything Christmas By David Bordon and Tim Winters Waterbrook Press [...]

Christmas is my favorite holiday and when I got this book in the mail I was really excited.

Ever wonder what all the words are to your favorite Christmas carol? Or, what people in other countries have for Christmas dinner? Would you like to know the history behind the Christmas Tree or the Candy Cane?

Then this is the book for you! From the minute I opened this book I was intrigued. It is a wonderful book of stories, recipes, crafts, history, and inspiration. There is something for each day of the month of December.

I also loved the fact that this book is great for the whole family. We read the book together at night. The kids helped me make the peanut brittle recipe, and we learned things we never knew about Christmas. My whole family loved this book. I can't wait till next Christmas when we get to pull it out and read it again and make some of the great recipes and crafts in this book.
Rank This Book* Choose One... 0.5 Stars 1 Star 1.5 Stars 2 Stars 2.5 Stars 3 Stars 3.5 Stars 4 Stars 4.5 Stars 5 Stars Close Window What did you think of the book? Rank the book from 1 to 5 stars here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, January 3, 2011
This review is from: Everything Christmas (Hardcover)
I was really hoping that I would miraculously get this book much earlier than I actually did. However, I got the book only a couple of days before Christmas. This book is set up to read some for each day of December up until Christmas day. While I did enjoy the book, I had hoped that it would include the history of some Christmas traditions - such as "where did kissing under the mistletoe come from". I truly loved learning about many of the great Christmas Carols. There were stories - some fictional and others non-fiction - that related to Christmas. Although, many were good stories I was not expecting there to be quite so many. It also had a section to learn about the customs/traditions used to celebrate Christmas in many other countries which was very interesting and a some recipes for traditional Christmas food. Hopefully, next year, I can use this book to teach more to my children about how we celebrate Christmas.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to Advent preparations!, January 15, 2011
Mama23 (Akron, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everything Christmas (Hardcover)
What a great devotional and resource for preparing for the Christmas holiday! Beginning with December 1st, this book covers several topics each day; including a devotional / story, recipes, history, carols, culture from around the world, traditions and ideas for your own family. I was pleasantly surprised with the information included in Everything Christmas! I love that this book can be read daily as a devotional, or as a reference using the index to look up a particular subject. I recommend adding this book to your family preparations for Christmas!

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything Christmas, December 30, 2010
This review is from: Everything Christmas (Hardcover)
This book is a charming collection of stories, recipes creative crafts, and culture. It provides the reader with historical support of beloved Christmas traditions. The book also gives examples of how Christmas is celebrated around the world. It is broken down in a Protestant advent manner so it gives something fun to do everyday leading up to Christmas. Great crafts/recipes to do with the kids. The book does have some cheesy moments and seems to be stretching it at some points, but all-in-all it is a delightful read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, January 13, 2013
Picture Credit

Everything Christmas by David Bordon and Tom Winters was a delightful read! I received the book after Christmas so I didn't read the book like its supposed to be read. I had no idea what this book would be like and I am really excited to use it this upcoming Christmas. The book is set up as if reading a chapter daily for 25 days in anticipation for the big day. Each chapter includes a story that relates to the holiday, quotes, fun facts, recipes, crafts, and Bible verses. Each day a person can make those goodies or ponder on the story that is read while preparing for Christmas.

This was such a fun book! I highly reccomend!!!

Check out this website if you want to read more AND there is a free printable under the "News and Video" tab.

Here is also a link to the authors website.

"I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review."

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything Christmas (and they do mean EVERYTHING!), December 28, 2010
wnk (Midwest USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everything Christmas (Hardcover)
I received "Everything Christmas" by David Bordon & Tom Winters as part of a "Blogging for Books" program (have I mentioned how I love free books?), and only wish that I had received it about a month ago.

When the title says "everything," they really do mean everything... this book is divided into 24 days, counts down like an advent calendar, and is an overflowing cornucopia of poems, stories, hymns, factoids, Bible passages, recipes, and articles about Christmas. Want to know how to tie the perfect bow? Need to cook an authentic Jamacian Christmas dinner? Wondering what to get those hard-to-buy-for relatives? Can't remember the words to your favorite Christmas carols? Curious as to why we hang up Christmas stockings? Always wanted to know what the "partridge in a pear tree" refers to? Need some random trivia to spice up the conversation at your holiday get-togethers? Written with Christ as the center of the celebration, this is a fun book that could really help a family get in the Christmas spirit throughout the month of December.

The parts I enjoyed most? After each hymn was a short paragraph describing the historical background of where they came from and when they were written, which I found to be really interesting. I also loved reading about the holiday traditions of people from around the world. I liked how the Biblical account of the Christmas story capped off the December 24 entry -- it seemed apt and appropriate that this would be the final piece, what everything else was leading up to. I also loved the trivia and fun factoids -- for instance, did you know that for Santa to deliver all the presents in the world, he'd have to make 822.6 stops per second, a speed which would cause him to "instantaneously burst into flames in Earth's atmosphere just like meteors." Another favorite section was the tongue-in-cheek "Christmas Gift Ideas for the Clergy," which had some clever ideas of gifts that would really make a pastor's day. I loved how throughout the book, everything pointed to Christ's birth, the real reason for the season -- for instance, as part of their suggested Christmas Eve hanging-up-stockings tradition, they recommended reading part of the Christmas story, or saying a prayer thanking God for all that He gives us.

My least favorite parts? Honestly, the warm-fuzzy, feel-good short stories throughout the book were what I found I appreciated least. Some of them were kind of clever or thought-provoking, but I guess I was just looking for a bit more of a light-hearted approach to the Christmas season, as opposed to the "It's a Wonderful Life" kind of feel... it's just not my style. They also include Santa/St. Nick in this book, which isn't part of our Christmas tradition, but I thought they handled it well, including the origins of the story and keeping the focus on Christ and away from the "commercialistic" side of the holiday.

I'm looking forward to reading through this book next December, possibly trying out some of the many recipes, and maybe when Christmas Day rolls around next, I'll pass on the Christmas joy found in this book to someone else to appreciate as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Addition to Advent Family Time!, December 27, 2010
This review is from: Everything Christmas (Hardcover)
Everything Christmas is a small, thick book divided into twenty-four daily readings. These include uplifting Christmas stories, both fictional and true, yummy recipes, fun holiday crafts, quotes, jokes, and Bible verses, poems and carols, gift-giving ideas, Christmas trivia and history, descriptions of Christmas dinners enjoyed around the world, and much more. A comprehensive topical index at the back of the book is handy for quick reference.

Bordon and Winters did a commendable job of picking out the best items to include in this little volume. One of my favorites was a humor piece entitled "Christmas Gift Ideas for the Clergy" which included things such as Praying Pants with inflatable knee cushions, an Early Exit Alarm to keep the congregation "dutifully seated until dismissed," and Say-Lit Alter Candles developed by the Ecclesial Gag Company which "provide hours of fun as your pastor watches acolytes attempt to extinguish these candles in vain." There are many such gems in Everything Christmas.

The variety of content and the daily reading format of this book make it perfect for family reading time. It even includes the nativity story in the Christmas Eve section so you can read it out loud to the kids straight from the book. I think that this book will end up being a fixture in many family's Advent traditions.

The layout and design of Everything Christmas is exceptionally done. Instead of a drab black and white interior, the text is green and red, and the decorative embellishments on each page add a lot to the mood of the book. The jacket design is likewise attractive.

Everything Christmas makes a wonderful gift book, and I would recommend it to any family that wants to add to their Christmas traditions or simply needs a boost to get into the holiday spirit. I think the claim on the back cover is perfectly true: "Opening Everything Christmas is like opening a box full of Christmas cheer."

Disclosure: The publisher provided me with a free copy of this book for review.

Everything Christmas
Everything Christmas by David Bordon (Hardcover - October 5, 2010)
$14.99 $12.48