5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and brilliant and awesome in every way.
I try not to go overboard in my reviews, but every so often a book comes along that forces a person to break out the superlatives. So let's be quite clear about things.

THIS IS THE FUNNIEST BOOK I HAVE READ IN THE LAST FIVE YEARS.

Published on December 3, 2010 by David M. Giltinan

1.0 out of 5 stars Funny, not Functional
I wish that I had looked inside of this book on Amazon. It's a funny book, but not a useful book about designing and leveraging flowcharts for information delivery purposes. Amazon suggested it to me when I was purchasing books about information design, data visualization, and power point design techniques. If that's your search, don't bother with this book...
Published 10 months ago by Mark Wilkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and brilliant and awesome in every way., December 3, 2010
This review is from: Everything Explained Through Flowcharts: All of Life's Mysteries Unraveled, Including Tips for World Domination, Which Religion Offers the Best ... the Secret Recipe for Gettin' Laid Lemonade (Paperback)

THIS IS THE FUNNIEST BOOK I HAVE READ IN THE LAST FIVE YEARS.

If you have even a smidgen of interest in popular culture, this book will amuse and amaze you. Even if it's not to your personal taste, if you have a teenager in your household, it would make a perfect gift. Whether it was the insanely comprehensive taxonomy of heavy metal band names, the stunningly complete exegesis of movie heroes and villains, doomsday scenarios, superpowers, designer paint names, casual and fast-food dining venues, I LOL*'ed while reading almost every one of the plethora of charts concocted and presented here by Doogie Horner. Shorter items such as the chart devoted to disgraced beauty queens, the list of billionaire pet peeves, or the examination of the quality of afterlife offered by major world religious systems were icing on the cake.

Quite simply, this book is a work of genius from start to finish.

* : Yes, the internet has debased the term "laugh out loud", but these were genuine, rib-splitting guffaws.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an awesome book, November 8, 2010
I am not the type to throw around terms like "brilliant" and "genius", but in this case it is warranted. This book is honestly one of the funniest things I have read in years. From a Presidents Wrestling Tournament to Zeppelin Warfare to Alien Sex, this book is for anyone who loves trying to make sense of the inane. There are very few books out there not written by Dave Barry that I laugh out loud while reading. This is one of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift, January 2, 2011
I responded to the negative review, but wanted to make sure my vote was counted.

I gave this book to my husband for Christmas. He spent Christmas evening reading it and ignoring the boy toys I figured he'd be playing with, like his Kinect and GoPro hi-def action video camera. Instead, he started looking through this book. We spent the night laughing together, and at one point laughed until he was in tears and as he says nearly peed himself.

Life is fun, enjoy it a little. And read this hilarious, witty book. It is comedy, pop culture and process mapping genius.

1.0 out of 5 stars Funny, not Functional, October 29, 2013
Mark Wilkinson "markwilk_uf" (Orlando, FL United States) - See all my reviews

If, on the other hand, you are looking for a funny explanation of various conundrums, such as choosing the right wine, you can find humorous examples of flowcharts in this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, but I can't leave it out on the coffee table, March 22, 2011
While I thought most of the charts in this book were somewhere between amusing and hilarious, there are definitely some off-color elements. Which means I won't be leaving this out for my pre-teen boys to read. I imagine that some people are going to be offended by this. that being said, I gave it to my brother for Christmas and he loved it. It's definitely very clever.

4.0 out of 5 stars A clever concept..., April 7, 2011
L. F. Smith (E. Wenatchee, WA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This book is based on a very clever concept: The author analyzes various aspects of pop culture by means of engineering flowcharts. For the most part, it really works well. There's something more than a little odd about seeing evil twins or mafia nicknames arrayed on decision trees. That, of course, is where the humor comes in. In addition, the author introduces each of the flowcharts with short essays that are quite well done.

As is the case with most humor, there's a fine line between "just right" and "more than enough." I liked the idea, and I liked the execution of most of the charts. There are, however, 29 of them; the concept begins to wear a little thin somewhere in those 29 charts.

Don't get me wrong: I liked the book, and I'm glad I bought it. It's very entertaining, and I think it would make a great gift for several people I know. So, for me, it's a strong 4-star book, but I can't see it as a 5-star. And it's most definitely not the funniest book I've read in the last several years.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant gem, November 7, 2010
FRANCIS P OKEEFFE (Clifton Heights, PA United States) - See all my reviews
Doogie Horner's charts enlighten and entertain, but mostly entertain. This book actually made me think, and I believe made me smarter in the process. If you have come to this book as I did, because you have enjoyed his other work, you will not be disappointed. If you have never heard of Doogie Horner, you are in for a real treat. This book reveals a brilliant comedic mind that sees the world in a unique way. It is one of those rare books well worthy of multiple readings. Go through the book several times and discover subtle items that you may have missed the first time through, and laugh. You will laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars An American Pop Classic, November 7, 2010
This book is a quintessentially American gem. A masterpiece of modern comic logic and design, it offers more than just one evening of laughs, fun, amazement, and passing it to the person across the room to share. The author clearly spent lots and lots of time researching the material, and it shows in a book that I enjoyed and shared with many friends, who guffawed, marveled, and asked to borrow it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Brain Exploded, October 29, 2010
This book has everything! Disgraced beauty queens, mafia nicknames, salad dressings, chain restaurants, doomsday scenarios, and so much more. If you like the charts that the author has done for Fast Company (and others), you'll love this.

4.0 out of 5 stars " I love how the author was able to take things that ..., July 12, 2014
Solid book. The original "infographics." I love how the author was able to take things that exist in our everyday lives and culture and explains it in flow charts, scatter plots and graphs. It shows a deep understanding. This book would be good for entertaining purposes and for applying the same methods used within this book to explain something complex to the masses.

Rate and Discover Movies