5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing take on slow cookery!
Published on August 13, 2010 by Eileen Fenster

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of the Kindle Edition
Published on June 16, 2011 by Donna C.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing take on slow cookery!, August 13, 2010
This review is from: The Everything Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook (Paperback)
The Everything Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook is a welcome addition to my cookbook library. Other crock-pot cookbooks I've checked out from the library rely on processed foods and many unhealthy ingredients that I wouldn't want to serve my family, but this cookbook emphasizes fresh produce, dairy, and meat products that I can buy in the grocery store. Amazingly, this cookbook has two vegetarian chapters - one vegetarian and one for vegan recipes (no dairy products, eggs, or meat). There are other vegan and vegetarian recipes throughout the book, too - not just in those two chapters. I really appreciate that because we entertain vegan friends and it's great to have something delicious to serve them rather than the same-old pasta they get everywhere.

I've tried five recipes from this book so far and every one of them has been really tasty and so easy. (Great to use the slow cooker in summer when you don't want to overheat your house.) The Hot and Sour soup tasted even better than the soup at our local Chinese take-out place. The Strawberry Pandowdy is a really different dessert idea for my family and tasted so good with vanilla ice cream. The Turkey White Chili is so good that I made it twice already. I brought Baba Ganoush and Creamy Low-Fat Spinach Artichoke Dip to a potluck and both were huge hits, gone in minutes. I am going to give this cookbook and a slow cooker to my friends who are getting married this fall. I am looking forward to using this cookbook again and again. Highly recommended to everyone who has a slow cooker.

5.0 out of 5 stars for home cooks who love healthy, easy recipes that taste good, August 19, 2010
This review is from: The Everything Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook (Paperback)
The recipes in this cookbook are written very well. Nothing is confusing or misleading -- a more difficult thing to find in a cookbook than you'd think. I have heard of 99% of the ingredients called for and can find almost all of them in a normal grocery store.
Although there are other slow cooker books out there, I took an hour to sit down and compare them all at the bookstore and found that this one matched my style of cooking most closely. I like to buy fresh produce, not canned and frozen vegetables and canned soups. Although I am a pretty good cook, I need someone to give me ideas of which things go together. I think the recipes in The Everything Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook are inspiring and make me want to try new things. I like that some recipes are comfort food and others are more ambitious and challenging to the bored palate.
Slow cookers are very helpful when you're feeding a crowd, and I found quite a few recipes in this cookbook that will be excellent when having family and friends over for Christmas, birthdays, and the Super Bowl. There are a lot of vegetarian and vegan options, too, which I think is fairly unusual for a cookbook that isn't explicitly billed as veg. But carnivores will also be pleased with the variety of recipes -- there are so many options here.
The bottom line is that this cookbook is for anyone with a slow cooker who wants to eat nutritious food. Beginners and more advanced cooks, herbivores and omnivores, kids and adults will all find something to love in this book. Well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Recipes!, October 18, 2010
Aseleener (Middleville, Michigan United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Everything Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook (Paperback)
I really like this cookbook. It is so refreshing to read a slow cooker cookbook that isn't constantly calling for cream of mushroom soup! In fact, it doesn't call for it once. These recipes are not only healthy, but they are very creative. They are not your run-of-the-mill slow cooker recipes. I highly recommend this book for anyone who enjoys using their slow cooker, in fact, I have already bought this as a birthday gift for my sister.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice!, January 19, 2011
This review is from: The Everything Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook (Paperback)
There are a TON of recipes in this book and I think anyone could find something to like in it. Most of them are pretty easy, too - chop/peel vegetables, add them and meat, spices, and stock/water to crock pot and go. Perfect for someone without much time. I like that there are more things in here than just soups and chili (my typical crock pot staples), though she does have plenty of those and the ones I've made turned out very well. Also, many of the recipes use fresh vegetables and are low in fat, which is great.

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of the Kindle Edition, June 16, 2011
My review is specific to the Kindle edition of this book. It does include a nice variety of recipes in a lot of different categories, and has a little something for everyone. However (and this is a huge drawback for Kindle users), there is no table of contents or index of recipes. Without a clickable table of contents, you'll have to scroll through pages and pages of content to find the recipe(s) you're looking for. My work-around was to establish a bookmark at the beginning of each chapter, so that I can go to "View Notes and Marks" to find the chapter on (for example) Soups, or Beef, etc. You can of course use the Search feature, but if you search for a common ingredient, it will take forever (and has caused my Kindle to get "hung up" and need a restart). In summary, a good book, but the usual Kindle formatting issues make it a bit harder to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious and easy!!, August 8, 2011
This review is from: The Everything Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook (Paperback)
So far, everything I have made is delicious! I am a lazy cook, so I love that doesn't have a lot of ingredients, AND simple ingredients that I can find at the store! There are a lot of recipes from around the world, like Indian, Tuscan, Moroccan, etc. That is the kind of food my family likes. There is no cream of chicken and mushroom soups like most crock pot cookbooks...just healthy, natural ingredients. I think I am going to buy more as presents for my friends!

2.0 out of 5 stars Reading the nutritional data with the recipes is very important, February 9, 2011
This review is from: The Everything Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook (Paperback)
I was not very impressed. I am not sure how recipes with 1000-2000 mgs of sodium per serving (there are several) would be considered very healthy for most people.
I am just trying to stress that people who need to watch their sodium intake should check the nutritional data section before preparing recipes. In response to Ms. Rappaport's comment to my post, I counted the recipes that had greater than 500 mg sodium per serving--there are more than 60.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cookbook!, March 21, 2011
This review is from: The Everything Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook (Paperback)
This is a wonderful cookbook for anyone with a slow cooker. I had never owned a slow cooker before and was clueless. This book provides a wide variety of both meat and meat-free recipes, along with soups, stews, and almost anything you're interested in making. The recipes incorporate "healthy" ingredients such as lean meat, fish, vegetables, spices, and healthy oils, rather than loads of salt and high-fat content.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Cookbook if You Have All the Ingredients, September 10, 2011
This review is from: The Everything Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook (Paperback)
I bought this because I wanted some healthy slow cooker recipes since many that I found online seemed very fattening and high in sodium. I guess this would be better if I had a lot of the unusual ingredients many of the recipes require. If you live in a large city that has a grocery store with a wide variety of ethnic foods and spices and you like to cook, then this is for you. However, I just moved from such a place to a very small town where Wal-Mart and Super 1 are my only options. Plus, I would not want to buy a bunch of unique ingredients that I would use once if I did not like the recipe. I'm hoping I will find at least two or three recipes I can use from this.

1.0 out of 5 stars So bad - Ingredient proportions off, April 12, 2012
This review is from: The Everything Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook (Paperback)
This is my first ever (cook)book review on Amazon and I'm doing it so no one else ruins their dinner... This cookbook was a gift to me, along with a slow cooker, and the first two recipes I tried from it were horrid. A BBQ sauce recipe (p. 100) meant for pulled pork calls for 2 cups of white vinegar (to only 12 ounces of tomato paste)! Never having made BBQ sauce before, I followed the instructions and nearly killed a perfectly good pork butt. Only several tablespoons of baking sode (to neutralize acid) and brown sugar made it edible.

So when I saw that the "Quick Coleslaw" recipe (p. 131) accompanying the pulled pork calls for 1 1/4 c. cups apple cide vinegar (to only 16 ounces of cabbage), I recognized the error and adjusted the recipe. I also knew at that point that this book was going in my recycling bin.

Don't waste your money on this cookbook because you'll be really upset if/when you discover you also wasted your time and more money preparing a botched dinner recipe from it.

The Everything Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook
The Everything Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook by Rachel Rappaport (Paperback - August 18, 2010)
$16.95 $11.04