Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

on January 5, 2011
I am a Home Hospital teacher working with special needs children. This book was worth the wait (3 weeks for delivery). It is full of interesting facts, fun hands-on activities, and questions to stir a child's imagination and natural curiosity. Activities are appropriate for school-aged children of all ability levels with some modifications.
It would have been even better if it had included some colorful pictures to capture the attention of the younger reader/listener. The cover is very colorful and bright but the interior is quite dull to look at. Providing vivid visuals from other sources to compliment the text helped maintain my students interest.
This book would provide hours of educational fun for children and their parents to share together; great "family night" activities.
0Comment64 of 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2012
good book as far as the content goes but i was disappointed that it isn't in color. not sure why a kids book wouldn't be. i bought it as a christmas gift to accompany a telescope for my 6 year old. i'll be looking for another one that is in color shortly. i haven't decided whether or not i'll keep it yet since it does have activities in it, but the lack of color makes it feel more like a school workbook vs. something fun and extracurricular.
22 comments41 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2010
A good book to start one's interest in Astronomy and that was the plan for my Grand son so I included it with a Telescope I purchased and so far it is doing what I had hoped it would.
22 comments16 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 30, 2011
We had such success with our introductory telescope that it peaked our interest even further into astronomy. Found this book with some great reviews and it certainly stood up to it's reputation. I think I've learned as much as kids. The activities are definitely for kids but the facts are truly fascinating. Absolutely love this book.
0Comment21 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2013
This is a great book. Talks about the planets and gives you cool facts. My son who is 6 loves it.
on January 13, 2011
got this for my nephew for christmas. he just loves looking at the stars and has had a blast reading up.
on May 8, 2013
This book was purchased by me, for me! I'm 82 and felt I needed a refresher on the galaxy and how it works. Well, I picked the right book. I personally enjoyed it and if I had a child in my midst I would pass it on. It was easy reading and covered Astronomy basics. I was satisfied and would recommend it to anyone looking for a basic outline of the Universe. For me, it was informative and fun to read.
on October 16, 2011
good book to get kids interested in the world around them. leap into space with pictures an puzzles to make them think off the earth.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 17, 2015
We mostly wanted this book as an activity book, and it serves that purpose very well. It is not in color and is not a "picture" book as such.

It certainly presents a lot of info about the night sky, the solar system, individual planets, and so on, but the underlying emphasis is to get kids thinking about "the universe" and the fact that there is a lot "there" out there. So, you get sections that just drive home the idea of big numbers and long distances, and what far-away means. You get gravity and what an orbit is. There's a little physics, some planetary science, some astronomy, some astrophysics - but that's all in the service of just getting a young scientist thinking about all of the wonders of "space".

There aren't many make-it-yourself projects. The activities are mostly in the form of puzzles, mazes, crosswords, and coded and encrypted phrases. that have to be deciphered. The book is printed on paper similar to elementary school workbook paper and puzzles can be solved by filling in blanks on the pages. (Some of the puzzles are tricky; answers are provided on the last few pages.) But don't get the idea that this is just a dry workbook. There are punchy asides, factoids and tidbits in the margins, helpful drawings, some silly drawings, and lots of illustrations of kids doing things. There are a fair number of jokes, some silly and some pretty sharp, but nothing is in that sappy "dummies" style.

The feeling is one of honest fun, with a bit of rah-rah, and a lot of energy. The activities are designed and intended to draw a kid reader into the subject matter, and the mix of play, puzzle and learning struck us as just right. A nice choice.
on February 4, 2013
My 5 year old grandson loves the book and continues to enjoy the adventure of learning about astronomy. Information is presented in a way that peeks his interest and keeps him searching for more facts and experiments. It keeps his attention for long periods of time, which is amazing considering how 5 year olds tend to lose interest quickly. I highly recommend this book.