4.0 out of 5 stars Marvelous, but not quite up to Ms. Quinn's standards..
Published on September 13, 2000 by J. Freedman

2.0 out of 5 stars A real disappointment...
Published on January 11, 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars A real disappointment..., January 11, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Everything and the Moon (Avon Historical Romance) (Mass Market Paperback)
I hate to be the fly in the ointment but I cannot agree with the 5 star ratings the previous reviewers gave Everything and the Moon. I recently read Quinn's How to Marry a Marquis and I was enchanted! The book was light but very very very funny with cute believable characters. This one however, started out very well but became a strain about midway. I didn't care for the new independent, unmovable Victoria. Even though Robert had the patience of a saint, near the end I thought he should have just dumped her. She was too much work. I mean- there's angry and defiant and then there's obtuse! Anyway, I'll still try more Julia Quinn because I liked the Marquis one so much. If you like humorous regency novels, try Merely Married by Patricia Coughlin and Escapade by Kasey Michaels.

4.0 out of 5 stars Marvelous, but not quite up to Ms. Quinn's standards.., September 13, 2000
I love Julia Quinn's work. She's a fantastic writer, and most of her books are wonderfully funny and fun to read. "Everything and the Moon" was an undeniably sweet book -- in the beginning. It's absolutely perfect, with the love at the first sight and the romance and then... kapow, throw in a completely misunderstood situation and the madly in love characters suddenly become overly suspicious aliens.
When Robert realizes the misunderstanding, that's when you get the non-alien Robert back. But unfortunately, Victoria insists on being completely stubborn and cliché up till the end of the book. It's a lovely story, but completely frustrating. You want to knock some sense into these characters that've NO idea what they're doing.
Beautifully written, though, and a very touching story. You can't possibly not enjoy Ms. Quinn's books. I definitely suggest reading this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Dialogue, March 2, 2002
Julia Quinn is incomparable when it comes to dialogue. Her characters come across as real people saying and thinking things that real people say and think. They're funny, sad, gentle, sensual, loving, lovable and unforgettable!
This is the story of the star-crossed lovers who fall in love, get separated and then meet again.. he wants revenge, she wants to erase him from her history. They both fail.
You might find yourself feeling a little sorry for Robert by the second half of the book because Victoria does not give up.. she drives him to the edge, several times, but he never gives up on her. There a part when he is faced with 'eight hens' and his groom advices him that 'now might not be the best of time to be a rooster.." where I laughed so hard, people thought I was going crazy..
Lovely book, lovely read.. don't miss it and if this is your first Julia Quinn, don't hesitate, she'll get you hooked.

2.0 out of 5 stars Quinn can do so much better!, March 1, 2004
By A Customer
I have loved so many of Julia Quinn's novels (the Bridgerton series is fantastic!) that it hurt my heart to dislike this book. But I really did. Any other author would have gotten 1 star for this boring, anger-filled book, but Quinn has given me so much reading pleasure in the past that I had to show some mercy here. What bothered me the most is that while Quinn has proven herself more than capable of fleshing out characters and creating complex and compelling dialogue, she does neither her. The hero and heroine are both shown at only a shallow depth, and what is revealed makes them both seem childish and mean beyond what their past would call for. Their conversations could have been written by any decent student in a high school English class, with little of Quinn's typically clever turn of phrase. If Quinn's name had not been on the cover, I never would have believed she was the author. I will continue to read her work as often as I can, because I have adored so much of her writing, but I will try to forget that she penned this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't have a choice.. I had to finish it in one sitting!, July 6, 1999
I started reading this book this morning on my way to work (I am a LIRR commuter) and I could not put the book down. Thankfully since I was able to finish my work in record time I was able to finish Everything and the Moon before lunch! I couldn't stop, I tried to slow down my reading (I tend to read really fast, only leaving myself to re-read the book after I've finished to learn of the things I might of missed) I even tried closing the book and waiting until my trip home, but I just couldn't. I loved Robert and I loved Torie (not to mention that I happen to love that nickname for a woman) and I especially loved the mention of the Duke of Ashbourne, which only served to remind me of Splendid (another one of Ms. Quinn's treasures)! This book, along with all of her other books, are delightful! Filled with love and laughter, wit and charm. If you do not read anything for the rest of this century, read her books. SPLENDID, DANCING AT MIDNIGHT and MINX, then EVERYTHING AND THE MOON and BRIGHTER THAN THE SUN, and finally TO CATCH AN HEIRESS and HOW TO MARRY A MARQUIS! You won't be sorry!

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful read!, August 26, 1998
By A Customer
"Everything and the Moon" is the first book written by Julia Quinn I've read. It will definitely NOT be the last. I absolutely adored this book. The main characters, Victoria & Robert, are intelligent and lively. Their conversations are sure to make you smile if not laugh out loud! Robert is one of the most likable "heroes" that I've come across in historical & romance. I found Victoria's concerns very easy to identify with and liked her immensely. This is one of the best I've read in a long long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Read!, March 22, 2006
Although the misunderstanding was serious, the book did not warp itself into a tedious melodramatic tale! The characters were absolutely fantastic and the interaction between them just made you melt. I disagree with one the reviewers about Victoria "Torrie" being stubborn and cliche! I was glad that she did not give in right away! Even if they are both somewhat to blame for the misunderstanding, I think more of it should be heaped upon the hero! This was why I found it amusing that Victoria made him work for it a bit! It's great to see an arrogant man on his knees!

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad, but not amazing either, April 5, 2003
By A Customer
I just finshed reading all of Julia Quinn's novels, this one being the last one I read. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't that great either. Don't get me wrong, I think there's no bad Julia Quinn book, it's just that some are so great that others pale by comparison. This is one of them.
All the character's were likable and it was endearing to see characters from other novels mentioned (like the Duke of Ashbourne and Emma from "Splendid"). There were also a few moments that had me cracking up, like the dress shop incident. Still, I found Victoria to be irritating at times and I thought that the love-hate banter between Victoria and Robert was dragged out.
I'm giving this novel 3 stars because there are other Julia Quinn books that are so much better. However, if you're a Julia Quinn addict you should read it, just so you can appreciate her recent work even more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just About Average, July 21, 2002
Let me preface this review by saying that I really like Julia Quinn. She is, in fact, one of my favorite romance authors ever. I discovered her with "The Duke and I," I devour each of the Bridgerton books as they come out, and now I've gone looking for her earlier books to tide me over until the next installment.
Unfortunately, "Everything and the Moon" is not one of her best works. It's not *bad*, by any means, but there's nothing particualarly memorable about it either. The plot doesn't flow very well -- each segment seems a little disjointed from the one that came before -- and it could have borrowed from any of a thousand other romance novels. The characters don't really stand out either; they're fairly generic, as if they were sent from Central Casting and not fleshed out at all. I've just finished the book, and I have a feeling that in a few days, I won't remember much about it at all.
Despite this middle-of-the-road quality, it does have its good points; I occasionally saw flashes of Ms. Quinn's trademark wit and style. Robert's reaction when he almost walked in on Victoria in the bath amused me to no end, and the way Victoria trounces the villain at the end of the book made me both laugh and cheer. But, on the whole, this book was rather flat.
This is one of Ms. Quinn's earlier efforts, and it shows -- she has greatly improved as writer since then, in my opinion. If you're just looking for a regency romance to read, there's nothing actually *wrong* with this book; there's just nothing really exciting about it. If you're looking for early Julia Quinn, I recommend reading "To Catch an Heiress" instead; it's much more lively and charming. If you've never read anything by Julia Quinn before, I recommend picking up a copy of "The Duke and I," the first volume of the Bridgerton series -- you'll be letting yourself in for a real treat!

5.0 out of 5 stars A truely wonderful book. YOU HAVE TO READ IT!, January 18, 2000
This book was absolutely wonderful. I started reading it at work during my luch hour and after four chapters I knew that I was in trouble. It was so good and so gripping that I knew I was going to have trouble putting it down. And you know what, I did. I came right home from work and sat down and finished the book. This book just captivitated me from beginning to end. In our own way, each of us is like Victoria. We all are a little scared after a bad experience at love. Especially if the person who hurt you is the same person who you love. But it is nice to believe that people can work things out and grow to love each other once again. You have just got to read this book. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Everything and the Moon (Avon Historical Romance)
Everything and the Moon (Avon Historical Romance) by Julia Quinn (Mass Market Paperback - August 26, 2003)
$7.99