Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc blink-182 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on February 4, 2006
I am so glad I dodn't actually fork over the money for this book! I, too, found it at the library. And back it will go tomorrow!

If this is the first book you have ever read on how to discpline your children, perhaps the discpline techniques he advocates would seem wonderful or miraculous. If you have no idea what to do with your kids, and your parents' example didin't inspire you, maybe this book is a good starting point. But personally I found it over-simplified in its concepts, and too wordy on the wrong subjects. For example, he claims that star charts as a rewards mechanism always work. There is, however, quite a bit of evidence that they don't actually work well in the long run; that it is far better to get your child to want to do a certain behaviour, rather than just do it to get a little star (or whatever the reward is). He cites animal training techniques for inspiration. Having experience with dolphin training in particular, I have to tell you that the dolphins get lazy if you reward good behavior every single time they do it. The trick, I was told, is not so much in getting the dolphin to do the behaviour. The trick is to get them to WANT to do the behaviour. And we are talking about children here, not animals. Kids are often capable of a lot more than we gie them credit for, unlike most animals I've worked with. The author also simplistically tells the reader that positive reinforcement always works. I am not in any way advocating negative reinforcement, and this is perhaps one of the few points on which we agree. But I feel that making a statement like that is just too cut and dry. Is there anything in this world that ALWAYS works?

Furthermore, I found each of the age-related sections of this book way too airy. The section on 4-8 year olds had almost nothing to say at all. Since I have a 4 1/2 year old, and another one on the way, I was thoroughly disappointed! I wanted to know about physiological changes that occur during the age ranges he mentions, as well as emotional adjustments they are starting to make. These sections were woefully inadequate. I also wanted real-life examples of how his techniques have specifically worked for families. But perhaps this was my fault. I was too bored (to tears)to read any further, and may have missed a story or two in there, somehwere.

For a far better, more concise, more practical and much more pleasureable read, try Michael Green's "Beyond Toddlerdom", the follow-up book to "Toddler Taming". His common sense, good humour, and down-to-earth style make for inspiring as well as practical reading.

Funnily enough, the best books I have read on parenting aren't actually about parenting at all. Get your hands on anything by John Holt (especially "How Children Learn" and "How Children Fail") for a far better insight into what motivates children at what age. It's all very well to have a few tricks in the bag on how to punish children, but it means nothing unless you try to understand why they do what they do first. Holt's in depth observations of kids' behaviour opened up a world of insight into children for me in a way that no book specifically dedicated to parenting ever has. Holt's books are especially useful if you have problems in relation to your child's schooling and susequent behavior at home.

Hopefully you don't accept the first quote you get when you need to get something fixed, right? In my opinon, the same goes for raising children. Keep in mind that it may be in your and your child's best interests to check out other opinions on discpline apart from this guy's.
on January 7, 2005
I'm so surprised this book has not been rated by other folks. This book is so good, it should be required reading. It has REAL advice for how you should be diciplining your children in no uncertain terms. This book is great for people who have kids from 1 to 21!!! It has GREAT advice for parents of tweens and teenagers. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old and I just wanted to make sure I was starting off on the right foot. I was relieved when it didn't have a bunch of artifical advice for children under 3. It explains how you should be interacting with your children overall. I also liked information about anger and how to handle yourself. This book is seriously great - read it!!!
on February 12, 2005
I owned Positive Discipline for Teenagers before I bought this book. Though that is a good book, it was somewhat philosophical. I wanted specifics. The Everything Parent's Guide to Positive Discipline gave me some good pragmatic advice. It's well organized with a good table of contents and index. I was quickly able to find the author's opinion on whether or not I was on track with a punishment I'd given. His perspective made sense. Highly recommended.
on November 22, 2005
I got this book at the library. After being frustrated with some behaviors, I read it in depth. What a wonderful book! I immediately implemented many strategies and found reamrkable results! The book is also a handy refrence guide for future problems and a great reminder of what to do during many stages of a child's development! Awesome buy!
on November 5, 2010
I borrowed book from the library and renewed it twice because I did not want to give it up.

Finally purchased one for myself. Great reference guide.
on April 6, 2015
Nice!
on September 2, 2009
This book is simplistic, and its recommendations are too generic to follow.
And, importantly, this book is simply not kind enough for my taste!

I do not recommend this book at all. It is poorly written!

For example, look at the title. If you feel "the everything parent" could help you, go for this book! But if you are like me, you are unlikely to trust someone who views himself as the parent of everything!

I think something is wrong with the author's psyche or his linguistic capabilities, and likely with both.