4.0 out of 5 stars Just back from their FREE show in Clearwater, FL
Just got back from their FREE show at the Clearwater (Florida) Jazz Festival (10.18.04). I bought this CD at the Festival a few hours ago and spun it as I put away groceries. I really enjoyed it a great deal... I hope this isn't to cliché, but, if you have never been to a BBVD show... well... you have missed out on a lot.

I was born in 1966 and grew up...
Published on October 18, 2004 by CJ Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite up to snuff
I've been a big fan of BBVD for years, but this CD just doesn't quite make it. A few very good tracks, Last Night I went out with Santa Claus and Mr. Heatmiser are excellent. A few OK tracks and the two instumental versions of Jingle Bells that just drag on. I was hoping for more, especially after the Christmas CD the Brian Setzer Orchestra put out a couple of years ago.
Published on December 10, 2004 by Colin Kenny

4.0 out of 5 stars Just back from their FREE show in Clearwater, FL, October 18, 2004
CJ Smith (Palm Harbor, FL) - See all my reviews

I was born in 1966 and grew up liking the "big band" Miller/Dorsey (and similar) sound even though I was a punk rock fan (1978-82). The Ramones once were "My favorite active band" and "my favorite of all time". Since they disbanded my favorite active band had switched to "Ministry" only to be surpassed shortly by "Rage Against The Machine". When R.A.T.M. broke up, the replacement atop my list of active bands was a simple no brainer... Hands down it was, is, and should remain for some time to come>>> BBVD.

Here's my review:

TRACK 01: Rockabilly Christmas

A fun track, which took zero effort to enjoy, it harbors a big band sound with a spattering of Honky-Tonk magic from good ol' Josh.

TRACK 02: Merry Christmas Baby

This is the second track, in as many, that dabbles with a sampling of "Jingle Bells" just lightly sprinkled enough to raise a smile from your audible palate. I love that this track is brimming with a traditional jazz marriage - Dirk and Kurt provide the tempo for a guitar sound so clean that you wait for it speak English.

TRACK 03: Mr. Heatmiser

Oh my god! This is a classic and yes, I sung EVERY WORD! I would be disappointed this holiday season if DJs don't spin this one until the laser beams break. So a big MAHALO to the entire band for bringing this one back ... You are all "TOO MUCH!"

TRACK 04: Blue Christmas

Smooth - Oh BBVD is just too smooth! If there was ever a reason for girls to swoon in the front row of a concert, not that I am a girl, but, - I could envision it to this song. Strong tip of the hat is justified here to Ruben Estrada's ability on the vibe. Lionel Hampton would have smiled!

TRACK 05: Last Night I Went Out With Santa Claus

A Scotty Morris original... Don't forget your best red-n-green wingtips and candy cane-striped suspenders when you swing to this lil' number. This comes off the CD gift wrapped for your ears. Dirk? You are the man! I must mention that the jingle-bells jingling via my Bose system was so crisp that I expected to see snow and a sleigh outside... even here in Palm Harbor, Florida!

TRACK 06: Christmastime In Tinsel Town

Scotty: Sophistication and culture. On this holiday track his voice resides somewhere between the coolness of Frank Sinatra and the Smoothness of Nat King Cole. That should speak volumes! This tune ends with a sampling of "Jingle Bells", a horse drawn sleigh ride, and the ringing of the distant church bell. I love it!

TRACK 07: A Party For Santa

Santa Claus Is Coming to... the Caribbean??? Music so fun to listen to that you resort to laughing like a child... Purely out of acknowledgement of your admiration for the tune!

TRACK 08: Jingle Bells (Cha Cha)

This is a bit of a twist. I'm not sure what to think. When I think of Christmas I think of happy family members, songs, experiences... This song, to me, is much darker than that and in one spot in the song; I believe it was Karl's flute playing (sorry if I got that wrong) that made me feel that a beatnik poem was about to be launched

TRACK 09: Is Zat You Santa Claus?

Dirk, wearer of a "glad to be here" smile and the playful spinner of the bass, carries this piece well. Reminiscent of Thurl Ravenscroft singing, "You're A Mean One Mr. Grinch" (Thurl was also the voice of Tony the Tiger), Dirk's bass vocal tones are always powerful and clear. It makes me wonder what a place like Broadway is doing with out him.

TRACK 10: We Three Kings

Traditional/Classic tune done to perfection by BBVD! With my eyes closed, the goose bumps rose. I could smell the woodburning stove at my grandmother's home during a Christmas of my youth. The snow fell as family love was abound and best of all... I knew the cookies were for me. That is what this song does for me. Thanks boys!

HIDDEN TRACK 11: Jingle Bells

I know it says there are 10 tracks, but trust me. This hidden track is deep and a bit faster than the earlier one and it still has the same tribal sound.

Everyone who buys this must thank Ronnie Manaog for the addition of the Timpani, glockenspiel, marimba, sleigh bells and the woodblocks (was that the horse "clops"?)

To BBVD: Thanks for the CD and all the gems over the years, such as picks, sticks from Kurt, a ton of signatures on everything from drumheads to keyboard keys to setlists. The merriest of Holidays to all and to all a goodnight!

Take a bow boys!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cure for the holiday blaaahs!, January 3, 2012
Wulfstan "wulfstan" (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I bought this based upon the fact that it includes a decent version of the "Heat Miser" song from Year without a Santa Claus (the original, not the horrible remake). Now, since they have different singers than on the cartoon, it's not identical, but the music and tone is the same, and over all it's great.

What's nice here is you get 10-11 tracks of Christmas tunes- either widely different and very cool renditions of holiday favorites, or songs you have never heard before. If you like Christmas music, but are tired of the same-old-same-old, then this is for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Iz zat you, Santa Claus?, February 8, 2008
Julie (Monrovia, US, Canada) - See all my reviews
Best rock-a-billy Christmas music you could ask for! Upbeat and definitely merry. Heat/Snow Miser song is a great throw-back from my childhood in front of the tv during the holidays.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Music, December 18, 2011
Classic Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and Christmas what else could you ask for? This album is a wonderful addition to our Christmas music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware - this album is almost too much fun!, January 10, 2007
K. Squires (Rochester, New York USA) - See all my reviews
If you're not prepared to stomp your feet, sway your hips and just generally let loose, this album is not for you. BBVD brings every bit of their modern Big Band, big sound, foot thumpin' style to every one of the tunes on this CD. Great fun to hear them do their thing with Mr. Heatmiser.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth It For The Song "Mr. Heatmiser" Alone!!, December 22, 2008
The boys bring swing to the season with their renditions of Christmas classics...even bringing their own compositions like "Rockabilly Christmas" and "Christmas In Tinseltown."

If you are looking to swing and jazz up your Christmas, look no further.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite up to snuff, December 10, 2004
Colin Kenny "poguemathone" (ATLANTIC HIGHLANDS, NJ United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Shipment was amazing, as is the cd itself, December 29, 2014
I heard one of the songs on a radio station and immediately went to Amazon. Shipment was amazing, as is the cd itself. In case you don't know who Bid Bad Voodoo Daddy is: Its an orchestra that does swing music. Swing music originated in the 40's (I think) and was extremely popular, eventually losing popularity to other styles of music. If you like vibrant, energy-filled music then you will like Big Bad Daddy. While these songs are Christmas oriented, they are not the usual Christmas songs. Great album if you want music and this time of the year cheer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Soooo Entertaining!, February 12, 2014
For a different take on traditional Christmas music but still many of the songs almost everyone loves, this is the CD for you. I actually bought this specifically for the "Mr Heatmiser" song but, happily, love the whole thing! This will put you and yours in the holiday spirit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Holiday Tunes, January 3, 2014
This review is from: Everything You Want For Christmas (MP3 Music)
If you are tired of the same old Christmas music recycled by everyone then try this. The song choices are great and remade just right. The version of the Heat Miser /Snow Miser sng is fabulous. I picked this up for $5 and have played it often over the holidays.

Everything You Want For Christmas