5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic though possibly challenging

2.0 out of 5 stars It's over my students' heads
Published 24 months ago by S. Williams

2.0 out of 5 stars It's over my students' heads, February 3, 2013
This review is from: Everything's an Argument (Paperback)
I am disappointed with this text overall. I like the first chapter on everything's an argument and love the images for illustration and anlysis. But in teaching rhetorical analysis and other types of arguments, I have found that the text uses student examples that are too sophisticated to help my first year students who are taking the course for general education credit. Where do they get the student examples? I suggest taking some from various levels, not just the best.

The explanations of the arguments are thorough but troublesome in that the author's political assumptions are embedded. Some students have objected to them. My students are also having difficulty digesting the text and using it to develop their own argument papers. I find that I am supplementing too much to support the text. Bottom line: I won't use this text again for a general first year course.

On the other hand, I like having the section on writing and revision application with each chapter. It would help to show a paper in process from start to finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic though possibly challenging, July 31, 2013
This review is from: Everything's an Argument (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed using this book in my AP English Language class as a Junior in high school. Some of the more negative reviews complain that it was over the students' head or that college students don't understand satire, but that was not at all the case in my high school class. The examples are relevant and engaging. The text doesn't talk down to the students. The only con is that the authors political views do come through every once in a while, which contradicts the book teaching against bias, but overall if the students can pick up on it as we all did very quickly, it becomes a lesson in bias, and in no way detracts from the book (especially as the students are learning to read everything with a grain of salt and engage all texts with their own point of view). Overall this is my favorite text book I have ever been assigned, and was always delighted to be assigned a chapter to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, August 15, 2008
I had to buy this book for an english class... It is very easy to read and is informative on how to create an argument and stick to your points.

5.0 out of 5 stars School book, September 16, 2009
The book has great examples for argumentative writing and breaks down the different styles of argumentative writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars just as described, June 21, 2009
Crcher7 (China Grove, NC) - See all my reviews
This book helps in every aspect of writing and understanding the issues of agrumentative papers. It also stays true to its title....Everything is an Argument!

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoy reading this book, February 9, 2013
This review is from: Everything's an Argument (Paperback)
This book is interesting while teaching great lessons on how to construct a proper argument , I really enjoy the life lessons that are in this book

3.0 out of 5 stars This does not have everything you need if this book is required for a class, January 28, 2014
This review is from: Everything's an Argument (Paperback)
I bought this thinking there weren't two versions. But, there are. Though this one is handy and takes up as little space as possible it does not have the readings in it that some teachers, like mine, if you don't need the readings... excellent buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars The examples are dated and distracting, July 4, 2011
I ordered this book for my daughter's HS AP English class, and decided to have a quick read before handing it over. It's a shame that so many of the examples used are bewildering and require knowledge of current events that are no longer current. I have to assume that this has been done intentionally, to provide an ongoing market for updated versions with new examples. Halfway through 2011, it's clear that a large percentage of names and examples are badly dated. For example, a discussion question on page 76 asks students to consider the ethos of a number of people I'm sure most HS students have barely heard of.

The political bias is also a big distraction; the authors assume that readers share their political viewpoint. The book would be much stronger if the majority of examples were non-political ones, or at least illustrated differing political viewpoints. I'm finding that I need to pay close attention to the section headings, simply to be able to keep to the point of the discussion. I encourage all readers to make a point of coming up with their own examples to illustrate the topics.

Distracting examples aside, there is much of value in this book, and it's well worth reading, so you can learn to find your own arguments and understand them a little better. If the examples provided better support, I'd give the book 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, October 2, 2013
It came in perfect condition, just as was advertised. I am not disappointed, but know it is soft cover if you don't like that kind of textbook.

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay, August 22, 2013
Would not have bought if not required for a college class. Was not used much and I did not find it interesting

Everything's an Argument
Everything's an Argument by Keith Walters (Paperback - October 5, 2012)
$43.30