Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 21, 2014
I got to give it 3 cause this time I actually read the book this time. Northwest Vista College -J.Moore-Fulex, Flex class ENGL II, used the book a couple of times. Over 50hrs in college & I can count on both hands how many times I've needed these freakin books! Rent don't buy, you'll never need this book again in life.
on March 24, 2013
I tried to teach this book in my composition 102 course, and it was a giant dud in the classroom. The specificity of the topics selected (and their inherent political bias) disengaged the students. Most of the examples used in the book are overtly political and the class discussions either became stunted or silent. Though I may deserve some accountability in not creating organic dialogue, the text was no help.

The sometimes schizophrenic nature of the text was also troubling. In discussing Causal argument the chapter introduces approaches ranging from reverse chronological to humorous satire. Second semester college students as a whole cannot grasp satire composition. S***, Seth Myers can barely do it a couple Saturdays a year.

I could not be more disappointed in this book. While it preaches concise argument and clear organization it meanders gregariously into self-parody.

If the authors got paid by the word: congrats. If they didn't: boo.

The first chapter was great though; it is the other 900+ pages that were a disappointment.
on May 24, 2016
I'm forced to use this book by my English department to teach the second half of Freshman comp. Here are a few of my issues with this book:

*I disagree with the basic premise of the book. A book about argumentation that argues that everything IS an argument should at least be able to make some good points about how everything's an argument. I'm not convinced. The authors fail at what they're trying to teach.
*It is not written at an appropriate level for Freshman Comp students, especially at the community college level.
*The organization is odd in places. For example, chapter 2 is titled "Arguments Based on Emotion: Pathos." Chapters 3-4 cover the other Aristotelian Appeals, logos and ethos. Chapter 5 is titled "Fallacies of Argument." Chapter 6 is titled "Rhetorical Analysis" and has a subsection titled "Examining Arguments Based on Character: Ethos." This organizational structure makes little sense to me.
*The focus is too narrow. God help you if you don't like reading essays, because that's all the included readings are. Some of them are not, in my opinion, very good essays, and the majority aren't engaging to college students.
*The book has very little about the nuts and bolts of writing, which is what Freshman Comp. students need. The bulk of the book is spent on breaking down definitions of different types of arguments. It doesn't cover topics like pre-writing, drafting, and revising, or other topics that are common to composition books.
This book might be okay for a rhetoric class, but it does not work well at all for composition.
on December 11, 2012
This book I had no choice to read. It was assigned to me by my AP English teacher but honestly, I did like learning about the secrets of building a well developed argument.

It talks a lot about every aspect of formulating a decent argument to where hidden arguments are around u. This a clever book and in a sense I really did enjoy it.
on July 28, 2015
It is a good references book, though I will not read it or use it ever again after this class. The teacher had us read it at home and did not discuss it at all with us. If your teacher does not require you to have it best to save a few bucks and not buy it
on September 21, 2014
I read out of this book every week and it is very good, but I would suggest renting it before buying it. Like I said absolutely nothing is wrong with it but you will probably only need it for one class.
on December 19, 2013
My title says it all!! I purchase this book for class but much too my surprise I really didn't need it. So I didn't read much of it but a good ten pages out of the book, for those pages I can say this: it was very easy to read, very easy to understand, and could be a very good learning tool if given the opportunity.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2013
This new edition had some crass language and extremely biased articles in the reading selections. Not very professional or appropriate for a general education course.
on January 23, 2016
Book came in good condition. It has interesting articles, helpful material to better yourself in writing argumentative essays.
on March 2, 2016
Not a whole lot to say, but this is the book my son needed for college. It showed up on time and as advertised. No issues!!