4.0 out of 5 stars essentially the original, yet it's own film.
Published 15 months ago by SKOLVK

2.0 out of 5 stars Retread with that not-so-fresh feeling
Published 9 months ago by rndkr

4.0 out of 5 stars essentially the original, yet it's own film., April 5, 2013
This review is from: Evil Dead (DVD)
When I first heard that Evil Dead was being remade, I wasn't happy. I've grown tired of reboots and remakes and I felt that remaking Evil Dead was akin to trampling on sacred ground. After discovering that Raimi and Campbell were backing it, I gave in and joined the the party, my uptight "Dead purist" friends be damned. This version starts out with the same creepy cabin in the same creepy woods but with a new group of twenty somethings unwittingly walking into the slaughter. A new element is introduced when we find out that the gang is trying to help their friend Mia recover from a nasty heroin addiction. Making the trip is her estranged brother David who wasn't around when Mia had to deal with their mother's death. Needless to say, there are a lot of family issues that the two never hashed out and hard feelings are being felt.

If being drug out to a creepy cabin in the woods by her friends wasn't bad enough, things are going to get worse for Mia. Ignoring all blatant signs to get out of dodge,(decaying cats strung up on the ceiling, A blood stained floor)the group decides to go poking around the basement where they find a book made out of human skin. The nerdy hipster friend(Eric) can't keep his hands off of it and decides to read it, going so far as to pencil trace the words that have been scribbled out. His meddling causes forest demon(s)to spring forth from their dormancy and they're quite smitten with the venerable Mia. To make matters worse, her friends take her warnings as the paranoid ramblings of a junky coming down from a fix. Soon the gore hits the fan and one by one the friends get possessed and off themselves and each other in increasingly gruesome ways.

I was pleased with Evil Dead. The acting was a little wooden at first but when Mia and David's past was established,I felt that it gave the plot a solid anchor. The gore was turned up a couple notches from the original but there were times when it reached absurd levels. I couldn't help laughing aloud when the characters kept using duct tape in attempts to reattach severed limbs. with that aside, Evil Dead delivers a solid film that even "Dead purists" will enjoy. I'd say that the film is more " cringe enduing" than "terrifying" but still very enjoyable none the less. I challenge you "Dead purist" to check it out!

4.0 out of 5 stars Where the hell is the unrated cut??, May 28, 2013
This review is from: Evil Dead (Blu-ray + UltraViolet Digital Copy) (Blu-ray)
I am not happy. Great remake, but I was expecting an Unrated cut for blu-ray. If the studio thinks they are double-dipping off me, think again. I'm waiting on the Hobbit (extended cuts already confirmed) and I'm waiting on this too. Stop being so damn greedy Hollywood!

2.0 out of 5 stars Retread with that not-so-fresh feeling, October 11, 2013
This review is from: Evil Dead (DVD)
The original movie from 1981 was made with a zesty energy and enthusiasm that belied its shoestring budget, resulting in a fun, inventive, campy-scary cult classic. As usual for remakes, they threw in lots more money, lots more gore, and cloistered it within an atmosphere of deadly seriousness. What they left out: any sense of fun, verve, humor, purpose. To these eyes it's strictly DOA. The worst part: like Wes Craven lending a hand to the soulless remake of his early 70's grindhouse classic The Last House on the Left a few years ago, Sam Raimi (the writer/director of the original) and Bruce Campbell (the original's inimitable star) were responsible in producing this. The end result is not exactly a desecration but simply a typical Remake Bummer nonetheless. Some people just can't leave well enough alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Evil Dead, May 17, 2014
Sharon K. Jordan (Davie, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Evil Dead (Blu-ray + UltraViolet Digital Copy) (Blu-ray)
I bought this for my son who is into these types of movies.....all I can say is that he seems to really LOVE it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Reinvention of the Original, September 7, 2013
This review is from: Evil Dead (DVD)
The original "Evil Dead" was made on a very low budget, so it was interesting but not great. "Evil Dead II" was basically an improved, high budget remake of the original, and I loved it. The grossness was so over-the-top that it was purposely hilarious. Bruce Campbell was perfect in the role, despite the fact that, when I later interviewed him, he scoffed at all his early horror work as merely a means to show his real acting ability (we're pretty much still waiting for that, although he's not bad in "Burn Notice"). "Army of Darkness" was fantastic too. All the horror elements, cleverness and humor of its predecessor.

Which brings us to "Evil Dead" (2013), which had a high budget but none of the other elements that made the original series of films so great. It's blood and gore topped with a larger helping of blood and gore. No humor, no cleverness, ... nothing but sickening slaughter of the characters. There are references (physical and verbal) to the original films, but that's all. This re-envisiong of the series turned me off completely. There is no Bruce Campbell humor to redeem this terrible movie. Sam,
Ted, Bruce, Robert, and the dentist Raimi (all partners in Renaissance Pictures), please, you've made a ton of money off the endless versions and editions of the "Evil Dead" series. PLEASE, just leave it alone! It was and is a classic, so don't ruin it by remaking the films in a way that is dull, sickening, plotless, and not worth seeing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Remake that pales in comparison, September 5, 2013
This review is from: Evil Dead (Amazon Instant Video)
This remake is way too gory in an almost laughable way. Especially the chainsaw scene........I would not waste my time on it and suggest you do the same.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, September 1, 2013
J Dub (Bay Area, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I didn't expect a exact remake of the original. But I wanted something more than the gore factor cranked up. The genre seems to be dead as everything is just boring recycled crap. In that manner this didn't disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feast on This, Mother-F*cker!, July 28, 2013
This review is from: Evil Dead (Blu-ray + UltraViolet Digital Copy) (Blu-ray)
Perhaps what the movie does best is maintain a great tone. It feels like a roller coaster ride that can go out of control at any moment (and often does). The tone is incredibly well-set as being one that isn't as jokey as the original but not overly serious either. Seeing this in theaters three times, I loved watching how the movie played with the audience. Sure, the movie is relentless, but we were all in this together. It's essentially a sound-and-lights show (with Oscar-worthy makeup) in that like the original, it doesn't rely on the acting but on events. Typically, this is something I would condemn but that "Evil Dead" does it so well and completely unapologetically, I couldn't help but lose myself in the material.

Be forewarned- this might be the most gruesome and goriest movie I can think of in recent memory. Perhaps the only movie to match its extreme gore is the original. However, what Alvarez and the cast do by remaking this is to keep things as an interpretation rather than a shot-for-shot remake (Van Sant did that in "Psycho," and the result was horrible to say the least). The plot is stronger and more solid than the original because, let's face it, the original didn't really have much of a plot. Like the original, the characters are based more on their actions and are secondary to the excellent tech. The only actor required to do much acting is Jane Levy who gives quite an amazing physical performance as a drug addict who becomes possessed. The rest of the cast rounds out what is typical in this genre and do a good job of leaving you with questions as to who will live and who will die.

However, as I stated before this is mostly a sound-and-lights show and not a tour de force in great horror acting. You spend more time watching scenes, wondering how they pulled off certain effects (as the director decided to rely heavily on practical effects and only had around 5 shots that had CGI), and crafting a movie that you want to look away from but simply can't. During showtimes, several audience members ran out screaming, others ran out to vomit, others almost passed out, but surprisingly the fewest left due to objections in the subject material. Actually, two women sitting next to my friend left early on because they were admittedly already horrified and couldn't see the movie through. This definitely redefined what many dates would consider when they say "Don't worry, honey, I'll go see _______ with you. I don't need to see something else and meet you afterward. I can take violence!" I'm sure this movie gave many individuals a very fine line as I often heard couples arguing during the movie ("Stop doing that! Not funny!"), but there was an overall sense of fun in the audience (although I admittedly saw this in a very heavy college-aged crowd instead of a mix of students with older folks).

The special features hint at a possible Director's cut in the future (especially the commentary) and are overall worth watching. Filming this movie was difficult on every actor but also was a rewarding experience for them. Some special features show the application of makeup, how certain scenes were filmed (including the blood rain in the third act- seriously, what horror movie have you watched that is bold enough to let it literally rain blood?), and why the remake was made and produced by Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi. You see that the process of making the movie was a very rewarding one as the actors were allowed to question things in the script, have their own input, and ultimately make the film into a group project instead of something too rushed by the studios. They took their time, changed things from the script, and allowed the film to be a collaboration rather than one person's vision that others were expected to follow blindly. The score is also brilliant and uses a siren during several parts (as well as some nice, syncopated 5/4 rhythms).

Ultimately, if you are a fan of the original film(s) and can take lots of blood with your coffee, you won't be disappointed. Seeing this with a large crowd of like-minded individuals was the ideal setting, and Blu-ray/DVD simply isn't be the same. That doesn't change the excellence of the final product in my eyes as I continue to watch it with a sense of awe. Is this the best film of the year? For extreme horror fans, maybe, but in the end we have a remake that manages to be completely unique and yet awesomely familiar, never forgetting its roots. None should have missed the original theatrical run, but the special features alone are worth the price. That plus the movie itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best you will get without Ash, July 22, 2013
This review is from: Evil Dead (DVD)
This movie was a fantastic attempt.

I have to say that I really enjoyed this movie. It is a remake so clearly if you have seen the original it will be may be difficult to enjoy this film. If you are at all accepting of remakes I think that you will enjoy this.

This movie takes the 80's version and does try to update it. This movie has non of the suspense of the original but it definitely has a really fun amount of gore. I am hesitating to use the word creative here but there is definitely a but more to the bloodiness of this than the original. There are many cringe-inducing moments that come along with the buckets of blood.

The characters start out a bit wooden but some of them do shine a bit more than you would expect. One thing I have to say about this movie is that I really feel that it did a good job of keeping me guessing as to who would be the new Ash. We know there will be a survivor in the end, and without having watched any of the trailers I really felt the suspense as to who would be crowned the King Baby.

It is extremely difficult to separate Ash from the Evil Dead Series, but I do think that this movie is as successful as you are going to get. They didn't try to just have a new zany character that acts just like him, attempting to do such a thing would have felt as natural as Ted McKinleys presence in the final seasons of Happy Days. I would also love to argue that people mainly love the evil dead series due to the comedy aspects of parts 2 and 3 but I am very affraid of the backlack I might receive. This movie attempts to do what the original did in its own way and I think it was successful.

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT AS "EVIL" AS THE ORIGINAL!, June 20, 2013
Boy from the 80's (PASIG CITY Philippines) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Evil Dead (DVD)
okay, we have seen the original 1981 movie with bruce campbell directed by sam raimi. that was more than 30 years ago. with the new "evil dead" by fede alvarez, i also had reservations on how it would turn out, but at the same time thee was also anticipation and excitement - after all this is evil dead, and bruce campbell and sam raimi produced it.

the premise is the same (since it's a remake). i agree that the acting was better but there were also loopholes in the presentation of the new characters. as a gorehound, i was expecting it would be as evil as the original. in 1981, sam raimi et al impaled a head, gorged eyes, raped with trees, splattered brains, chewed on a hand, and most of all, chopped a woman with an ax in loving details... now to expect that in the new evil dead would make me ... lucky! especially with today's rating.

the new evil dead still made me cringe, but i thought maybe i expected too much. i have all the original trilogy, but i would sure add the new evil dead in my collection. despite being a remake, it has its own merits. it is also a good movie that could stand on its own!

Evil Dead (Blu-ray + UltraViolet Digital Copy)
Evil Dead (Blu-ray + UltraViolet Digital Copy) by Fede Alvarez (Blu-ray - 2013)
$26.99 $11.47