5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! An Exceptional Blend of Vocals, Lyrics and Music
Published on December 20, 1999 by arebafan

3.0 out of 5 stars very good
Martina McBride is probably one of my top five favorite female singers. And this is a very good cd. Starting off with a live recording of I'm Little But I'm Loud of Martina when she was a kid. This cd had the hits Happy Girl which is the kind of song that she does so well. Also the hits A Broken Wing which is kind of on the same theme as Independence Day and the kind...
Published 2 months ago by john thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! An Exceptional Blend of Vocals, Lyrics and Music, December 20, 1999
"arebafan" (Farmington, New Mexico) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Evolution (Audio CD)
On my first review of this album, I gave it a 5 star performance while only listening to it a few times. I now realize, that I wrote it with very little understanding, and may not have given the album and it creators the proper credit. The album is a masterpiece in artistry! I consider every aspect of this album 5 star, and it gets better every time I listen to it. Hopefully this is a lesson well learned, for I now know, that many of the subtleties in an album are not exposed during the first few listenings. These artists (singers, musicians, producers, and mixers) put hundreds of hours into the creation of an album, and it is probably only fair that I should listen to an album many times prior to writing a review. Anyway, I have listened to "Evolution" many times since my first review, and I have much more respect and appreciation for the artists and the album. The album is vocally, lyrically, and musically beautiful. I guess it all starts with the song choice. The album has a nice variety of songs and each song brings about different emotional and physical responses from the listener. A slow tempo message song may be followed by an up tempo happy song, and then followed by a nice love song. I like the variety, and actually look forward to each change in song style. They chose songs with incredible lyrics, but at the same time allowed Martina to showcase every aspect of her tremendous singing ability. The songs reveal an emotional and heartfelt style of delivery (in Martina), that often, may have been overshadowed by her rich sounding voice. And even though her delivery is expressive and emotional, Martina's voice is clearly the "EVENT" of the album (she really lets it fly on this album). The musical interpretation on this album is 5 star, as well. As lyrically and vocally rich as the album was, the musicians (producer and staff) needed to be wise on the musical support. They were as masterful at their job, as Martina was at hers. The sounds from the instruments are beautiful and rich sounding, and are placed strategically, to bring out the best in the vocals and lyrics. They still created a sonically appealing modern country sound, while supporting the heart of the songs. As far as I'm concerned, this is Martina and her staff's best production, to date. I enjoy every track on this album, but my favorites would have to be, "Whatever You Say", "Wrong Again", and "Here In My Heart". This album will always be one of my favorites, and I like what it has done for me. It has made me a better listener, knowing that I still may be missing some of the intended beauty. I am highly recommending this album, but please beware of the albums ability to grow on you. It is really GOOD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Little hairs stand up...., July 3, 1998
This review is from: Evolution (Audio CD)
When I first heard "Broken Wing" on the radio, little hairs on the back of my neck stood up and I had chills. That is what Martina McBride's powerful voice does to me. Not only has she chosen beautiful, intellegent songs for this album (an evolution from past works) she knows exactly how to interpret them. Yes, she can belt out a chorus like no one else, like on "Be That Way" and "A Broken Wing" but she shows wonderful range and lets the song tell the story as in "Wrong Again" and "Whatever You Say". Her ballad cross-over "Valentine" proves that this country singer can not be stereotyped and stands in a class by herself. I would highly reccommend this cd to anyone who likes to feel their music in the pit of their stomach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Less country, more pop, still brilliant, April 24, 2004
This review is from: Evolution (Audio CD)
Martina's first three albums (Time has come, Way that I am, Wild angels), although all pop-country albums, retained a very strong country feel. With this album, Martina, her producer and musicians have injected a greater dose of pop into the mix. However, this is still a high quality album. You have to make up your own mind whether it is country or not.
The album yielded five major solo country hits (Happy girl, A broken wing, Wrong again, Whatever you say, Valentine) and also includes a wonderful duet with Clint Black (Still holding on) as well as some other outstanding tracks. Martina's strong, powerful voice may seem overwhelming to some people on the up-tempo tracks but I enjoy her music, whatever type of song and whether it is pop, country or somewhere in between.
I could have done without the recording of I'm little but I'm loud, made when Martina was just seven years old, but it only lasts a minute so it's soon done with. Much better is Happy girl, the first real track here, which has become one of Martina's signature songs. Be that way (about a woman in an uneasy relationship with a difficult man) is followed by A broken wing, which could be interpreted as being about the end of that same relationship. Wrong again (about a relationship that seemed ideal but didn't work) has more of a country feel to it. Keeping my distance is about a woman waiting for a man to finish with another woman, just waiting for her chance. I won't close my eyes is about a woman who is suspicious about her man but doesn't want to believe that he's doing her wrong.
There are so many great songs here. I've only mentioned some of them but, except for the brief opening track, they are all enjoyable, at least to my ears. This is a world removed from traditional country but in the field of contemporary country, Martina is as good as anybody. If you are new to Martina's music, you could begin with Greatest hits (which includes five of the tracks here) but this album is also a good one to start with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Martina cd is a must have!, November 6, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Evolution (Audio CD)
Martina has the most incredible voice ever and this cd allows her to demonstrate her powerful voice more than any other she's recorded. Its full of awsome songs like "A Broken Wing," "Valentine," "Happy Girl," and "Wrong Again." My very favorate on the cd is "Whatever You Say." Her preformance of that song is beyond describible, its the most amazing thing I've ever heard. Nobody sings like Martina!

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful vocals, great lyrics, awesome instrumental work!, March 31, 2000
This review is from: Evolution (Audio CD)
This is a killer CD all the way around, but the most impressive work is "Whatever You Say", which features terrific guitars and violins to go with that fall-out-of-your chair voice! The duet with Clint Black is a nice touch, and the CD starts with a fun little ditty from Martina's childhood that will put a smile on your face. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Aptly Titled, September 24, 2001
Chris S. "cscotts" (atlanta, ga United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Evolution (Audio CD)
After a slightly uneven third effort, Martina McBride returned with EVOLUTION, which managed to capitalize on in spades the promise that she had shown with her sophomore disc THE WAY THAT I AM, and in the process produced an album that nearly matched that creative benchmark. While her first three efforts showcased primarily country music with pop undertones, this album incorporated more pop into the proceedings, with slicker, but far stronger, production values, and ultimately smoothing out alot of the country edges that were in evidence in her previous work. It was still country, but more country-pop than anything else. She still had the knack for catchy hooks, displayed on such tracks as 'Happy Girl', Keeping My Distance', and 'I Don't Want To See You Again', but as with her best work, she manages to temper the lightweight with stone-cold reality. 'A Broken Wing' continues her quest to relay inportant social issues through her work, much like the previous 'Independence Day'. Vocally, she was at her peak, particularly on the aforementioned 'Wing', and especially on the equally commanding 'Whatever You Say'--only Trisha Yearwood matches her vocally in the country genre. It's of interest to note that pop divas Mariah Carey and Celine Dion released albums close to the same time as this project, both(Carey's BUTTERFLY and Dion's LET'S TALK ABOUT LOVE)creative lowpoints for each, while the equally talented and pop-inspired McBride was doing career high work--it's too bad more pop fans didn't seek this out in the wake of such mundane work, because it truly puts her in league with both of those artists.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Exceptional Album In Every Way!, November 23, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Evolution (Audio CD)
Martina's fourth album, "Evolution" is one of her best to date. It is a collection of fourteen songs and features Martina's improvement vocally or her "vocal evolution." Here is how I rate each song on this album.
I'm Little But I'm Loud- Martina's performance at the age of 7. Don't be fooled! Martina has improved significantly ! (4 stars)
Happy Girl- great rhythm, uptempo and peppy. (5 stars)
Be That Way- I love this song... the energy, the lyrics and theme are perfectly conveyed. (5 stars)
A Broken Wing- A very potent song about emotional abuse, Martina's soprano is shown. (5 stars)
Wrong Again- A wonderful song... Nice background vocals and nice instrumentals. (5 stars)
Keeping My Distance- One of my personal favorites in this collection! Too bad it was never made a single. (5 stars)
Still Holding On w/ Clint Black- Martina proves she can be an awesome duet partner. (5 stars)
Whatever You Say- A powerhouse performance and the best overall song in Evolution. It even gets better when Martina sings it live! (5 stars)
I Won't Close My Eyes- a slow moving song, but soothing and a pleasure to listen to. (5 stars)
Some Say I'm Running- Another favorite song of mine, about reuniting with true love. (5 stars)
Here in My Heart- I love the background vocals of this song; they are pure ear candy and I love how Martina holds the note "heart" for eight seconds. (5 stars)
One Day You Will- I like this song, it's short and sentimental (5 stars)
Valentine- a beautiful love song! (5 stars)
OVERALL: A VERY WELL CRAFTED ALBUM IN EVERY WAY! ITS LYRICS, PRODUCTION, VOCALS, INSTRUMENTALS AND COLLABORATIONS RULE!
IT IS ONE OF THE BEST FEMALE COUNTRY ALBUMS EVER!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Martina's voice should not be restricted by genre labels!, August 6, 1998
This review is from: Evolution (Audio CD)
Martina's fourth disc applies her formidable pipes to a well-picked selection of songs. While she's marketed as a country singer, everyone I've recommended this disc to has raved about it, whether or not they like country music. Martina is not afraid to evoke strong emotions or address controversial topics in her music. Among the many standouts on this wonderful disc are "A Broken Wing", "Whatever You Say", "Keeping My Distance," "I Won't Close My Eyes", and "Valentine (her collaboration with new-age pianist Jim Brickman). Buy this disc!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best country CD's of the last half of the 1990's, December 12, 1999
Mark (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Evolution (Audio CD)
Martina has one of those voices that bring out real feelings into her music. Just listen to "Whatever You Say" and you will know what I mean. Or listen to the fabulous pop sounding song "Valentine", and you will be a Martina fan for life. The whole CD is filler free (with the exception of the opening "I'm Little But I'm Loud" Little Jimmy Dickens song Martina sang when she was a little girl). Anyway, I think this is her best work by far, even better than her average new CD, Emotion. Go out and get this and you won't be listening to anything else for at least a week!

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, June 11, 2000
This review is from: Evolution (Audio CD)
I originally bought this CD because of Broken Wing. I had seen her perfom the song on a music awards program and the hair literally stood up on the back of my neck! And while I do play Broken Wing over and over and over, Wrong Again, Whatever You Say, Happy Girl, and Valentine are standouts, as well. Truly a keeper!
For true diehard fans, her White Christmas CD is a treasure. If you don't have it, don't walk, run to the store and pick it up. You won't be disappointed!

Evolution
Evolution by Martina McBride (Audio CD - 2008)