5.0 out of 5 stars Travel undies

Published on February 2, 2011 by Joel

3.0 out of 5 stars If you're size 30 get a medium not a small, February 2, 2011
Joel (LONGVIEW, WA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ExOfficio Men's GiveNGo Brief - 1241-0008 (Apparel)
I am a size 29-30 waist and so I ordered these in size small. The waist fits fine and the fabric is great. However, there is *very* little room for your junk in these, and thus they are rather uncomfortable in the front. These do not have any kind of pouch or extra space to hold your goods, so unless you want your boys to be totally squished, I would recommend going a size up. Because there was so little room, I even checked the packaging to see if they were actually men's underwear!

I don't feel I can return these because they are underwear after all, and I did try them on. But for the price I paid, I am rather disappointed in the fit, and the fact that I now own a expensive, yet virtually worthless pair of underwear. I may try the medium eventually, but I think I will check out UnderArmor next as it looks like their men's underwear actually provides proper room for a man.

5.0 out of 5 stars Travel undies, December 24, 2008
We cruise a lot and have had to make do with little clothing on European jaunts. Men's underwear is heavy and bulky - not so with Ex Officio. Also you can wash them out and they dry in about two hours. All you need is a couple of pair of these underwear and some packets of laundry detergent and you can get along for weeks with clean dry underwear. It's expensive but well worth the money. The undershirts that go with it work well also.

4.0 out of 5 stars Men's Sizes, October 27, 2012
S. Sutliff (Williamsburg, VA USA) - See all my reviews
Couldn't find size comparisons anywhere so ordered what I thought might be a fit. The package has the following chart:

Waist size/Underwear size = 28-30/S, 32-34/M, 36-38/L, 40-42/XL, 44-46/XXL.

I'm a 36 and the Large gave me a comfortable fit without being too tight. I've always used Patagonia capeline to wear under my biking shorts, but these appear to offer a much cheaper equivalent alternative.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but in the old school full rise style, March 30, 2009
J. Haynes (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ExOfficio Men's GiveNGo Brief - 1241-0008 (Apparel)
They seemed comfortable enough and like they would be good material for activities, but these are full rise briefs. I go for the mid-rise kind, and can't stand full rise, but if you like the old school full rise style, then by all means these are for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really does dry overnight!, August 16, 2008
Eileen Bandy "EBandy" (Tehachapi, CA United States) - See all my reviews
These are great travel essentials. Can wash out and hang and will be dry by morning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the extra cost, January 7, 2010
Ken Fulmer "Ken" (King of Prussia, PA) - See all my reviews
These were both comfortable, and practical. I wore three pair over 3 weeks, and washed them out each night and by morning they were dry and fresh. They are full cut, and very flexible, and comfortable on long walks and hikes. They really did work perfect for traveling, and enabled me to pack a bit lighter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodness Gracious Great Balls of Fire, April 28, 2011
I don't like this style of underwear. My review merely pertains to the quality of it. I bought two pairs for a thru hike on the A.T. So far, so good. They wick and dry quick. Washing is easy as well, specifically compared to cotton undies. For the price, which was under twenty for one, it was a deal. Patagonia and other like capilene products, though better quality (not by much) are far more expensive. If you need undies for traveling light under any circumstance, buy two.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THEM - Comfortable and Durable and Relatively Cheap!, February 14, 2011
This review is from: ExOfficio Men's GiveNGo Brief - 1241-0008 (Apparel)
BUY THEM - Comfortable and Durable and Relatively Cheap! Construction of seam and rubber band looks good. Does dry out quickly after washing. A bit pricey. I wanted the black ones, but Amazon was out of them at time of order. More comfortable than the more abrasive Cool-Max briefs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for travel, could use a little more room up front, December 30, 2011
These are great for travel, particularly to warmer climates. In hot, humid areas I shower more often, and being able to change underwear each time is nice. I wash them when I shower, wear a different pair, then by the next shower the first pair has dried out. Hotel shampoo generally works really well to wash these since it lathers up well and rinses well. I've also used bar soap and shower gel, which take a little more work, but do just fine.

They dry very quickly and I will often just hang them in a closed closet so they're not in the way of housekeeping. They've always been dry when I check later even with no moving air. If put anywhere with moving air like in the flow of the AC or on a balcony, they really dry fast.

The one issue I have is they could use a little more room in the front, like others have mentioned. Wouldn't take much extra cloth to make them roomier since it's stretchy fabric. Not a deal breaker, but nice it they'd just make that small change for the future.

One thing on usage, they used to include instructions on how to dry them and I can't recall if they did with the recent pairs I just bought. To dry, squeeze/wring them out with your hands, then lay them flat on a towel and roll it all like a burrito and squeeze the roll. That extra step takes a lot of the remaining water out of them even if the towel is already damp.

Update May 2013: I've dropped these down a star. What I've found over time is they aren't as good for hot, humid environments as I thought. They really don't breathe as much as it seemed which I noticed after comparing to regular cotton just to compare. Taking frequent showers covered up for that. It could be partly due to them being generally too tight for the stated size, but if I buy another pair, it'll be the boxer style so there's ventilation in addition to through the fabric.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Travel, March 25, 2011
Kathleen Boharic (Riverside, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I bought two pairs of these briefs for my husband for our last trip, just to see if they worked. Well I would highly recommend them for traveling and will buy a few more as spares. They are very lightweight and they really do dry overnight. Saves on space and weight in the suitcase which really helps now that we are being charged so much for luggage. My husband found them to be very comfortable. The fit is perfect and they are very well made (in the USA, I might add). These will last for years.