Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on December 11, 2010
It's outdated, but the price was right. Good for me since I just wanted to get started with the concepts of ADO.
on March 25, 2003
It's not common to want to write a review about a book this one deserves taking some time out for it. Though I'm not new to programming I am to VB with SQL. I have been developement a quite complicated application with VB with SQL and not a day goes by that I have not used this book and found true real solutions and insight. This book was written for developers and answers the question we make quite directly. It is small but the point. Takes you by the hand (great for begginers in SQL developers, but has enough information for intermediate and advance developres.
on February 22, 2002
This book is targetted towards intermediate and advanced users. Hence save your humor about your daughters in some other books. His previous book on VB 5: Hitchhiker's guide to VB was excellent. This one is written for clowns.
What I mean is: when I buy this kind of book which is targetted towards advanced users, I just need the technics so I can implement them quickly. So save the jokes for some other books. My suggestion is to buy Serious ADO: Universal Data Access with Visual Basic by MacDonald. If you only have a couple of weeks to implement some app using VB and ADO, this book will deliver.
I got my app running with solid foundations in no time.
When reading books for ADO, you need to understand connection objects, disconnected recordset, parameter objects etc. Serious ADO illustrates them rigorously - minus the jokes.
on November 17, 2001
If you use ADO, you need this book. Much like Bill Vaughn's early "HitchHiker's Guide to SQL Server" this book tells you everything Microsoft forgot to warn you about in ADO. Filled with tips, tricks and gotcha's, this book could save you countless hours of debugging, and endless frustration. It has for me. Plus, Bill Vaughn is an amusing author, who makes what could be a very dry and boring subject actually entertaining.
on November 14, 2001
I do a lot of browser-based application development with ASP/ADO/SQL Server and found this to be one of most useful books I have ever owned. The coverage of ADO is superb and the author's writing style is very enjoyable.
on August 8, 2001
This book was clearly rushed out the door early to make someone some extra money - many factual errors littered in the sample code and analysis
on July 31, 2001
I've been developing ASP solutions for nearly five years and pure Visual Basic applications for two, and have never read a book with such valuable, pithy information in so little text.
In ~350 pages, Vaughn covers all of the pertinent topics when working with ADO: "best case" connection strings, efficient uses of recordsets, marshaling and persisting data... literally, everything you really need to know.
Most importantly, and to his credit, Vaughn does NOT cover (or re-hash) the basics of ADO or data access- this book is for developers seeking to refine their ADO knowledge, not first-time database programmers. You won't find an explanation of what an RDBMS is, or why databases are valuable in the enterprise. You will find a reference to keep on your desk (not your bookshelf) and use every day.
on June 19, 2001
This the best book I've found on ADO. It is well written and beatifully organised. The key chapters for me were 4. Getting Connected 5. ADO Command Strategies 6. Recordset Strategies 7. Manipulating Your Recordset. There is also a great chapter on ASP as well as a chapter on moving data efficiently between tiers which are not my main focus. I didn't give it 5 stars because already it's a little dated. Nothing really on ADO 2.6 or SQL Server 2000. But it sholdn't be a handicap.
Also not much on esoteric command strategies such as creating Stored procedures on the fly where your parameter is in the Select or From clause.
on May 16, 2001
This book covers programming with ADO thoroughly and well. Vaughn does not only take you thru the best practices but also thru the questionable ones. You will learn why a best practice is a best practice. You will also learn the proper syntax to use in commands as well as the purpose of many of the options that are w/in a command. (The options we see in the VB IDE but never know how to use.) I found the book extremely readable and obviously extremely valuable. If you plan on using ADO you should have this book, it really should be part of the VB programmers canon. The one negative on the book is that while it references ADO 2.6 alot it does not really get into it. There also is not very much XML support. i am sure future versions will correct these mistakes.
on January 14, 2001
After several frustrating hours with the David Sceppa (Microsoft) and WROX Press ADO books, I finally found in Bill Vaughn's work exactly what I'd been looking for: a list of best practices for working with ADO in a client-server environment. Excellently written, great examples, and just as compulsive as me!