5.0 out of 5 stars awesome
I read all about the different dehydrators and reviews of so many models. And since most of the reviews were good no matter what unit it was, I could not figure out which one to buy.

Published 20 months ago by sc

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment....
It arrived promptly, that's the good part. The fan and thermostat work, but the timer does not. And the timer is the main reason I purchased this model. It's going back.
Published 10 months ago by Lynne Campanale

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, May 4, 2013
This review is from: Excalibur 3526TB Excalibur 3526TB 5 Tray Dehydrator with Timer Black, 1, Black (Kitchen)

...then found a user group who wrote a detailed review of pros and cons of different units and the strengths and weaknesses etc. it became very obvious that this style and brand of dehydrator WITH A TIMER is the only way to go. It
works so well. i also bought the "Pack of 9 Premium 14" x 14" Non-Stick Dehydrator Sheets- For Excalibur". you need these sheets for lots of reasons, you will see once you get going.

I have had it for 3 days and have used it for kale, strawberries, apples, pears, bananas, pears, sprouted sunflower seeds pumpkins seeds and almonds. Everything comes out fantastic. Rotate the trays and try different temps too. But start some of the fruits out on the sheets and once they are slightly dry peel them of the sheets and put directly onto the racks liners and they will dry faster. keep a sheeted tray in the bottom position and you will make a little less mess, but its no big deal to clean if some stuff collects in the bottom anyway.

a tip...if you have a bowl of mixed stuff you dehydrated at different temps like seeds at 105 and fruit at 135 and you want to "freshen it up a bit" (so your friends can taste it at its best), just dump a nice pile of the whole mixture on a sheeted tray an hour before they arrive, and run it at like 100-105 before serving.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am glad I bought the 5 tray model with timer, January 13, 2014
I have been using this almost everyday since it arrived a couple of weeks ago. I am very pleased with the fabulous kale chips I have made and I have found a way to make good, safe beef jerky for my dog. It does take some experimentation though. The dehydrator itself seems to be of more than adequate quality made of a very sturdy type of plastic. It has a heater, fan and timer so as long as those components last I will be happy. The fan is quieter than I thought it would be. It is about as noisy as my very quiet dishwasher. Regarding the size, I have filled all five trays with only 2 bunches of kale so if you are thinking of using a dehydrator to make kale chips or other treats, I think it is worthwhile to make enough to serve more than 1 or 2 people at a time. The kale chips go very fast in my house. I also bought an inexpensive slicer as I think it is important to make thin slices of equal size to dehydrate adequately, especially of certain foods, such as beef jerky or sweet potatoes. I think a dehydrator is a good way to prepare foods in a different, yet healthy way....dehydration preserves the enzymes in contrast to cooking which destroys enzymes....but I have discovered that meat does need to be cooked to 160 degrees F. before dehydration to destroy harmful organisms. Measure the temperature with a meat thermometer. Using this method I have dehydrated beef jerky for my dog which turned out to be delicious. I know it is delicious because I can eat it myself. Three lbs. of round roast turns into 3/4 lb. of tender, melt in your mouth morsels, if you slice it thin enough and marinate it after cooking in a very weak beef boulion (no salt for dogs). My very fussy dog loves it. Thicker slices will make a chewier product.

.....UPDATE....It's been a few weeks since my initial review and I am still very pleased. Just want to add a note about the DRYER SHEETS. I bought a pack of 9 dryer sheets that go with the dehydrator. I used 3 of them and ruined them, I think, right off the bat. They absorbed some oil from the kale chips I was making and, after much effort, soap and hot water, I could not wash the oil out in my sink, in which the sheets did not fit...a very awkward process. One might do a better job by using the bathtub but I am not prepared to do that. I have not used these dryer sheets since. I have been using parchment paper (love it) or the mesh liners that came with they dehydrator. The mesh liners are much easier to clean. The choice of which liner to use is dependent upon what you are dehydrating. Sweet potato chips are fine on the mesh liners. Somewhat drippy marinated beef works well with parchment paper. These are my preferences so far.

Another note about SAFETY AND BEEF JERKY...I am now NOT precooking the beef but turning the dehydrator temp. to max (165 F.) for 1 hour, then I rotate the trays and dry them at max. for 1 more hour, finishing the process at a lower temp. I rotate the trays because the temperature is uneven since the heater is at the back of the unit. I am trusting this is sufficient to kill harmful organisms that may exist in meat products (see FDA recommendations for more information). All the beef jerky recipes I have seen so far don't address this issue and often tell you to use the temperature guide that came with your dehydrator. The temperature guide on my dehydrator says 145 degrees F. for meat. I only discovered this safety issue by surfing the web for recipes and recommendations about beef jerky. I think I will put a meat thermometer in the trays to see exactly what temperature is being achieved while drying my next batch of beef jerky. The beef jerky is still amazing, using this higher temperature method. Incidentally, I find my new electric slicer is a critical piece of equipment to cut the meat (frozen) and vegies thinly and evenly enough to dehydrator properly.

Also, I registered my dehydrator with Excalibur and GOT A 10 YEAR WARRANTY even though I bought the dehydrator from Amazon.com. I spoke with a representative of Excalibur about this before doing my online registration who outlined the warranty coverage for me.

Happy dehydrating people!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, May 8, 2013
I just got my Excalibur stainless steel dehydrator with stainless steel trays. I do not feel comfortable with using plastic to cook, which is another reason I got rid of my microwave a few years ago.. I think more raw, natural, the better -

I ordered this directly from Excalibur, not Amazon, to get the 10 year warranty. I researched many types of dehydrators. I've never had one, but eat mostly vegan, and decided that this was the next step to more alkaline food, tasty healthy treats, saving the planet from packaging, etc...

I ordered this Monday 5.6.13, and it was delivered today 5.8.13!!! So far the service is excellent!!
Out of the box, I read the instructions, read the cookbooks, and put the door handles on, and plugged it in!! It's been "going" all day! I've made banana, apple, potato, sweet potato, spinach, cilantro, green onions, and they are almost all done (6 + hrs later) . . .

I am so glad I got the 9 tray, as many of the other writers suggested, since 1 potato ( very thinly sliced) took 3 trays alone!! Once things shrink, they can be moved to make more space, but initially, the items take up a full tray. One apple too 2 trays.. until it started to shrink.

This product is well made, and I am so happy I spent the "big" bucks, and got the stainless steel trays... It's so simple and easy! I can't wait for holiday season, to give gifts to people.

So, it's ready to go, out of the box, basically... fits on the counter nicely - and doesn't make much noise at all! It's been working hard all day and I highly recommend this to anyone wanting a dehydrator. This and my Vitamix are my 2 favorite and most expensive items in my kitchen. I think they are both made to last a life time, and the companies have excellent customer service.

So far so good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Darn Nice, July 20, 2013
So, my wife is the one who uses it and I had to wait to see if she thought it was worth the price. Now that she has used it a few times and learned how it works, it seems to accomplish the task for which it was intended and does so with as little fuss as possible. I'll update this as time goes on. One thing I know is great. I bought the model with the timer, and as she usually only finds time to do her stuff late at night, it is great that she can turn on the timer and go to bed. That makes the additional cost for the timer worth every cent of its cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, January 6, 2014
EA David (The Golden Poppy) - See all my reviews
We've had our unit for about 5 years now, and it has worked flawlessly. We have made all sorts of things in it, and it really ends up being foolproof (maybe not with meats - I don't know about that as we're veggie). If its still too moist, dehydrate longer.

We use it for raw foods prep, abundant harvest preserving, and prep dehydrated meals for backpacking/camping.

Some of my favorites?
*Chop, saute, and dehydrate onions. Seriously, trust me - they are FANTASTIC to add to dishes.
*Quarter (or so) tomatoes from the garden for psedo-sundried tomatoes. Did you know that sun drying preserves few if any nutrients? I dehydrate our on a low setting to preserve nutrients and enzymes for tomatoes that last all year. Add to salads, soups, chili, etc.
*Simple sliced persimmons
*Yogurt - The 5 tray fits quart jars nicely, though you do have to tilt them to get them in.

As another reviewer noted - the lid sometimes rattles, but I find that a quick adjustment to the position of the unit solves that problem. Also, the noise it makes is comparable to white noise. I don't find it bothersome at all.

I have a small kitchen, so I find the 5 tray to be a manageable size.

We love it, and would buy another in a heartbeat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gave as a wedding gift, April 13, 2014
My son is absolutely loving this dehydrator! He had a smaller, inexpensive brand previously, that died. So he was very excited to get this for a gift. He has been drying everything he can get his hands on! Even started drying herbs -- parsley and onion powder.
I debated on this model with the timer, or the less expensive 5 or 9 tray model without. I I've had the 9 tray with timer for 3-4 years now, and appreciate the timer, so I went with this one. Best decision I made. The timer extends the functionality of this product exponentially. As it allows you to start a batch of jerky, fruit or veges at any time, and know that it will not be overdone when you awake or return home.
One of the joys of the Excalibur is the heat/fan setup at the rear, which directs the air flow across the trays. This allows you to load multiple trays with various items and not worry about flavors crossing over. Units with the air flowing upward or downward can not be used that way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dehydrate all the things!, May 22, 2014
I love this dehydrator. Its great. I replaced an older, less advanced dehydrator. I love the timer, and I *love* that it turns off when the timer is done, its not just an egg timer. And the temperature controls are excellent. The manual also has a bunch of guides for what temperature and times required for various fruits, vegetables, meats, herbs, and more. I'll be keeping that close as I experiment with new vegetables.

On a sad note, the dehydrator was delivered with a crack in the frame :( It doesn't prevent it from operating, but I'm sad there's a crack in it. I'll be seeing if I can fix that crack with glue.

5.0 out of 5 stars re: Excalibur dehydrator - amazing, April 23, 2013
I personally don't do a whole lot of drying of foods, so the 5 tray is more than adequate for my needs. Most people like the 9 tray though, that's totally up to you. Both are basically the same size, but the 9 tray is much higher.

The unit arrived in one day. Thank you Amazon for being awesome like always. This thing is fantastic. It has a self-timer and a heat control that goes up to about 155 deg F. Which is more than adequate. Depending on what you're drying too that is. I usually do "biltong" which is a South African version of beef jerky, but far far far far far better. Once you've had proper biltong, you won't want to eat jerky any longer. Jerky is way too dry and tough and hard to chew and your jaw is hurting after a few pieces. Biltong has different spices and is really tasty and does not need to be dried that long like jerky. It's up to you and your taste.

This machine is very nice. It is NOT loud. I have it on while watching a movie and it runs but it's not even given a thought. The aroma in the house is somewhat nice though.

I have made batches of biltong already and they came out so much better than I could have ever hoped. It's all in the recipe and the preparation. The drying piece is the last piece of it. The recipe is super simple and let your meat marinate for at least 4-8 hours, longer if you wish. AS you play around with the recipe, you'll learn what you like best. Then the Excalibur takes care of the drying.

It's great on other foods too, which i have not played around with yet at all. I have only used it for making biltong, thus far. I will continue to experiment. Highly recommended product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, January 6, 2013
Dehydrator works well - much better than old one that had to be monitored and the trays rotated. Timer settings were accurate. Used for apples and beef jerky so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product., March 8, 2014
I have used the 5-tray with the timer for over 8 years. Have used it almost exclusively for beef jerky. I marinate 1/4 inch slices of London broil for 24 hours then lay it on the mesh sheets. I set the timer for 8hrs. with temp at 155 degrees. when done let it cool before bagging ..It is the best jerky you will ever eat. Many friends have me make it for them. Just purchased a 9 tray from Amazon and the 5 tray will be passed to my son-in-law ..I am totally pleased with the Excalibur ..clark