Excalibur 3926TB Food Dehydrator, Black
Color Name: BlackChange
Price:$226.80 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 5, 2012
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
The biggest and baddest of dehydrators. Honestly, if you've done any research at all then you're already well aware of the great reputation that Excalibur has. You already know about the 9 trays, you know about air moving, you know that it's a bit bulky and may not fit under a smaller kitchen cabinet.

- It's big, but it does fit under my cabinet

- I *like* the timer and my wife loves it. Making my wife happy was worth the $50 price difference vs the non-timer Excalibur.

- It's not nearly as noisy as some crybabies make it out to be. It has a fan, it makes a whirring noise. I have no problems having a normal conversation in my kitchen with it running. I leave it on overnight and don't hear a thing from my bedroom. The dog doesn't howl at it.

- Fairly easy to clean, seems to be a decent quality items, I've had zero issues with it after owning and using for a bit over three months. We've used it roughly a dozen times.

- Glad we made the purchase.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 14, 2013
Color Name: Black
Got my second one of these dehydrators a couple of weeks ago. These are very dependable and the company stands behind the product. They may only have a guarantee of 10 years in the USA, but since I have had the first one for 35 years, I had no worries about buying a second one for a spare because the 35 year old one might go belly up some day--or maybe not. This may be the next miracle--dehydrator de la perpetua--or something. However, if this new one lives as long as the old one, it will likely outlive me. (Wonder who I should leave them to in my will?) I didn't get this exact model but went whole hog and got the stainless one with the stainless shelves and the timer. My ancient one didn't have a timer,(they probably didn't offer that feature 35 years ago) but I would usually check on it frequently enough to not overdry stuff.

The old one's design is entirely different than the new one. The door hangs on to the front of the new machine rather than being VELCROED on and lifts off easily, and yes the velcro on the 35 year old one is still good although I had to reglue it back on a few weeks ago. But staying on for 35 years is nothing to sneeze at! However, it's plastic shelves had started to droop, making for uneven drying of leathers--but that's no big deal because people start to droop after 35 years, too! So, I bought new stainless shelves for the old one. They have not changed the demensions of these things for at least 35 years so brand new stainless mesh shelves fit my ancient dehydrator perfectly.

The new one has a timer and a wider range of temps. You will need to set time on the new one to start it running if you get the one with the timer. The old one just has a knob that sets the temp and starts it running. The new ones's knobs are on the top. The old one's knobs are on the front and to the side. The new one has a fan and heater in the back. The old one has the fan and heater to the side, and blows the air out of the shelf brackets which are perforated with little holes. The new one's design is much better than the old one and easier to clean. The new one's stainless door is opaque--of course--while the old one's door is darkened translucent plastic.But the old one is still running fine after 35 years so there's no room for improvement. It even outlasted my late husband who bought it for me!

I made some amazing smoked salmon and chinese beef jerky and about a dozen different types of fruit leather over about a 3 week period.The dehydrator is great to raise bread, dry nylons or lingerie, or put that "glaze" on the brined salmon for perfect smoking in your smoker! I've made two batches in the last two weeks and they are both almost completely gone. I was using both of them nearly constantly and there was no indication of any malfunction or strain on the machine.

I had to develop my own recipe for the chinese beef jerky to make it like the stuff I used to buy in Chinatown in San francisco and that was completely done in the dehydrator. YUM. I also developed my own recipe for rose hip fruit leather! YUM. All of these were lept upon and devoured by a crowd of very hungry people.

I also sprung for their silicone rubber sheets--ordered one set for the new one and then a second one for the old dehydrator because they worked so well. I even had a "dehydrate-off" pitting the old one with the new one and neither outperformed the other and both worked perfectly. I still have two sets of the teflon sheets that I bought for the old one and they fit the new one perfectly. I've also just gotten some of their disposable 14x14 sheets that are non stick and appear to be like bakers parchment. I plan to do some more fruit leather as soon as I can go out and get more fruit! Excaliburs are absolutely wonderful, and they do a great job. However, the one suggestion I can make is to not bother to replace your drooping plastic shelves with another set of plastic ones if you've lost your "mesh" that came with them. The mesh has to be bought separately. When you add up the cost of buying new plastic shelves and new mesh,you may as well just spring for an entire new set of stainless shelves because you won't need the mesh with them.

Plus for those of you who think they are noisy--they are about the same as a convection oven or a breeze box fan on medium. The lovely white noise they put out can put me to sleep in about 15 minutes--because I have to keep a fan running to sleep because of a very noisy snoring husband. So GET USED TO IT. It will be worth it.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 9, 2012
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
This is a top notch dehydrator. I own a 5 tray TMS all stainless steel dehydrator and this Excalibur 3900 out performs it.
I was put off by the plastic construction and bought a stainless steel for more money than this unit.
I should of bought two of these.
This dehydrator does an excellent job dehydrating and is better constructed than you might think.
For home use this is the unit to buy.
Also I would suggest getting the timer version, it is worth the extra 50 bucks.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon August 20, 2012
Verified Purchase
We purchased the dehydrator for ourselves and to create healthy treats for the dogs. So far so good! It's easy to use and there is plenty of knowledge out there to help you make great treats.

Pros:
- Simple to use - set the temp, set the time, place the food on the trays and go.
- Relatively quiet - We've had it running for very long time periods with no noise issues. It's not silent, yet it's not annoying.
- Timer is a HUGE plus - VERY much recommend spending the extra $$ to get the timer model.

Cons:
- unit does not come with the solid mats - must be purchased separately - if you want to make fruit leather or have items that are drippy (liver or other such things) you need the solid mats - these really should ship with the unit.
- quick guide for basic dehydrating is somewhat useful - not the best by any means. We purchased a very good dehydration guide book separately - do this!

Overall it's a great unit - we love the ability to keep our fruits and veg storage friendly and the taste is amazing!
The pups love their dehydrated snacks! liver, chicken hearts, yams, it's easy and fun to do - the dogs see this as the 'Magic snack machine' :)

Hope that helps.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 13, 2013
Color Name: WhiteVerified Purchase
The delivery was quick. Very light weight unit. It fits and sits nicely on the counter top.
After checking the unit we ran some tests by dehydrating few different fruits and veggies.
The result: Dried them in few hours, but noticed two things.
1. The fan noise is a little bit loud as some other reviewers previously mentioned, but bearable.
2. On first to batches noticed that those close to the rear of the tray were nicely dried, but those on the middle and the front part of the tray were not dried completely. So on the third batch when it was on its halfway just pulled the trays and turned them and put them back. By doing this way I got nicely dehydrated fruit and veggie snacks.
Besides those two things the unit has been doing the job as expected. The timer is definitely a good thing to have.
With nine trays a large batch can be easily handled. Easy to clean and maintain the trays and inside.
Also as any tray can be removed it helps to handle larger/thicker pieces, no sweat.
The 10 yr warranty... well... only the time will tell, but it gives a peace of mind at least.
on September 25, 2012
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
easy to use , love the timer, no problems with it. it works just as described and is a lot quieter than I thought it would be.
on November 19, 2012
Verified Purchase
Before purchasing, I really did debate for quite a while if this was going to be one of my infamous "splurge, use it a handful of times, then watch it collect dust" routines. I'm so glad to say that I'm using it frequently, and achieving such great results! I find it comes in handiest for making delicious, raw snack foods: vegan, cheesy kale chips are to die for (!), sweet potato pumpkin seed crackers, super-thin sweet potato salty chips (you need to use a mandolin slicer that does the super, super-thin slices, such as the Benriner Slicer, which I also purchased from Amazon), and very delicious dried fruit - last night I sliced up several Golden Delicious apples, sprinkled them with cinnamon, sliced ripened bananas and pears, and threw it all in the Excalibur. This morning it was all waiting for me, one fruit more delicious than the next. And, what I really love is that it extends beyond myself: my husband, sis, & friends were all on the fence about dehydration - I love sharing what comes out of this machine with them...and love their enthusiasm even more!

Really love that this model has a timer, as I am spaced out and would totally lose track of when to shut the thing off. It is a bit large, like the size of a microwave - if you use it and love it, you won't care about that fact! As I've read other people complain, it's certainly not silent as it operates. I would liken the noise to that of a clothes dryer. All I can offer is that my husband is an absolute stickler for irritating noises, he usually has zero tolerance (I was initially very worried I'd have to send this back..we have a small kitchen, and the machine should not be operated while stored in a closed cabinet, so they tell me), but, the low whirr of this thing doesn't seem to bother him at all. - I really do love this machine ;-)
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 8, 2013
Color Name: WhiteVerified Purchase
My wife and I have been members of CSA farm co-ops for years. We freeze and can, but we wanted to preserve even more great stuff for the long(ish) Michigan winters. Our CSA is particularly generous, so we had to have a dehydrator with a large capacity. After reading reviews, specs, comparisons etc. for a long time, I finally decided on the Excalibur.

GOOD: lots of tray space, adjustable temperature (that actually works, and goes down to the "living food" temp range), shut-off timer (one of the best features).

BAD: When herbs get just about done, the powerful fan tends to blow them off the trays; the spacing between trays is a bit tight for some foods. Both these "problems" have relatively easy fixes: You can leave herbs on the stem until they are dried so they don't get blown all over the inside of the unit; if one tray has food that is a bit tall, just leave out the tray above it.

This is not a small counter-top unit. You need to have some place in your home where the size, noise, and heat output won't bother people while it does its job for several hours. Other than that, I can't imagine a non-commercial drier that could perform any better.

So far, we've tried herbs, fruit, root vegetables, and fruit leather. One of these days I'm going to give jerky a try.
on August 25, 2013
Color Name: WhiteVerified Purchase
I've started getting really into dehydrating so I decided to upgrade to the Ecalibur 3926T from a dinky round $50 unit I got at the sporting goods store. I was so excited that I went out and bought a bunch of fruit to try it out on.

When I unpacked it I was a little put off because instead of packing the trays in the slots within the machine, it looks like they grabbed a stack of trays and just forced them in. They where bent and at an angle and did not come out easily. One I had to yank so hard on I was afraid I was going to break the tray. Even though they where put in bent, it didn't look like any permanent damage had been done to the trays so it wasn't a huge deal.

Then I went to plug it in and I noticed two substantial cracks on the outer casing in the rear of the machine. This was a problem. Now I started nitpicking, the screws on the pack metal plating were also in at an angle and not flush making the plate very loose. Now I could have fixed that myself but the cracks are a no go, I paid $250 for this thing after all. I immediately contacted Amazon and arranged to exchange the item for a new one. I will give Amazon credit, I'm getting the new unit in 2 days and UPS is coming to my door to pick up old one so it's not a big deal, these things happen.

I was just disappointed that a product that I assumed was of quality arrived in such a hap-hazard way. For now I'm giving 3 stars (I haven't even turned it on yet). When I get my new one in a few days I'll go over it with a fine tooth comb and update this review to see if the second one arrived in the same way.

But if you receive with your trays shoved in like mine, take pictures before removing in case damage is done to the trays or the inside of the machine. Oh also, there was no visual damage to the box that the unit came in so it's likely that the cracks happened before or during packaging.

EDIT 8/27/2013: Received new unit and everything looks good on the outside. Trays were still crammed in at angle and did not come out easily. Left a few black scratch marks on the inside, which if you have the black unit you will never see, but I bought the white one. As long as it dehydrates well it's of little importance but it does annoy me that it's packed this way. I took a picture and if I can figure out how to upload it I will.
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 12, 2012
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I LIKE THE FACT THAT YOU CAN DEHYRATE A LARGER QUANTLY OF FOOD, YOU DON'T HAVE TO ROTATE THE SHELVES, AND THEY ALL DRY EVENLLY,ALSO I LOVE THE ADDED FEATURE, THE TIMER !

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations