5.0 out of 5 stars Great crossbow, May 5, 2013
This review is from: Excalibur Matrix 355 Crossbow Package, Realtree Xtra, 240-Pound (Sports)
I bought the Excalibur Matrix 355 crossbow 3 weeks ago. There were several crossbows that I had researched before purchasing this bow, and the one that I had chosen wasn't the matrix 355. I like the design of the excalibur crossbows, having no cams or pulleys to tune and not needing a bow press to change strings. I originally decided on the equinox. When I actually saw an equinox in person, it was wide. Very wide. I picked up the 355 next to it and it was a much smaller package. I fired both crossbows and it was an easy decision. They were close on speed, accuracy, and noise. The Matrix 355, even with the higher draw weight, was easier to cock than the equinox because of the shorter power stroke. My hands never get higher than my belt while cocking the 355. Other crossbows that I've seen you are doing an inverted row to cock, with your hands mid chest or shoulder height. The Matrix 355 was easy by comparison (I'm 5'11", 170lb).
As far as accuracy goes, both bows shot the ten spot at 20 yards. When I got the Matrix home, I shot a 4 shot group from 30, 40, 50, 60 yards. All bolts were grouped inside a 6 inch circle. I was shooting free hand in substantial wind (20-30 mph), guesstimating distances between shots. I made a couple click adjustment and it was dialed in. The tac zone scope was also very nice. It has an adjustable reticle scope for bolt speed, with cross hairs/chevrons for 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 yds.
I only have a few gripes about this crossbow. 1) It doesn't have a full camo rail like the equinox and the matrix 380. 2) It doesn't come with the string suppressors or cheek piece like the equinox or the 380. 3) The tac-zone scope is a nice illuminated scope, but if my eye isn't centered in the scope almost perfectly, the crosshairs and chevrons are blurry and hard to see crisply. The scope clarity might be more me than the scope, I have this problem with a lot of scopes without the Leupold logo on the caps.
I added the cheek piece and the R.E.D.S. supressors on the bow after purchasing. I also purchased the stringer, which I consider a must have for this bow. When installing the R.E.D.S. supressors, I needed to make a brace height adjustment for proper installation. With a compound, I would have needed to take to the dealer, or purchase a bow press. With the stringer, I can do it my self.
In summary, I'd put this crossbow up against a 22LR with similiar optics up to 60 yds. It's accurate, compact, and has a simple design that allows for low maintenance shooting. You can wear out the string on this crossbow (around 37 bucks) for alot less than what it would cost to buy pistol/rifle ammo for the same amount for target shooting. However, don't shoot at the same target or you'll be "Robin Hooding" arrows.

5.0 out of 5 stars One very good bow, December 12, 2013
Outstanding product.

I did lots of research prior to purchasing, and I recommend you do so too in order to get what you want out of your crossbow as there are many good products on the market and available from this site.

PROS:
Well balanced and lightweight. Small for a recurve bow, so portability is good.

Scary accurate. Like you could easily rake a first shot arrow by shooting a second arrow into the same location at 50 yards, accurate. Haven't taken it further than 50 yards yet, but I have seen longer shots online with the same accuracy. More accurate than my buddy's compound crossbow for around the same price by a well known name brand company. In my opinion, if you can shoot a 3 inch group at 30 yds, you can reliably kill a deer. Anything more and its just bragging rights more than kill reliability... however, I like to brag. So if you have the money to "robin hood" an arrow in a target every so often for friends just to show that you can do it, this will get you there.

Scope is outstanding. Sight it in normally at 20 yds, then move back to 40 or 50. Zoom is set to FPS dial. Set it to factory standard FPS, shoot, adjust based on shooting high or low (high = you are shooting faster so dial up, etc). Works great, ingenius and simple design. Range scale goes to 60 yds. Easy click adjustment for horiz and vert adjustments take out the guess work and make it a snap to sight in.

The biggest selling point for me... it is simple. I noticed many recommended tweeks on reviews for compound crossbows. Some of them were completely over my head. The thought of tweeks and special adjustments to get the bow to shoot the way I want was a detraction, so I opted for the recurve. No adjustments necessary other than sighting in the scope which was a breeze.

Tons of punch. Sure, you could get more from a $2k crossbow, but this thing can take down a moose (litterally... just search it online). I think it is enough unless you are a total FPS addict.

Comes with good arrows. No cheesy bolts that are typically included in a package deal.

Very sturdy and well made. You can see and feel the quality in the manufacturing.

CONS:
Could be difficult to cock if you are quite small. My son has a heck of a time cocking it, but I am 175lbs/5'10" and I have no issues.

Price. I cannot say that it isn't worth the money, but at the same time I would have liked to pay a little less than what I did for the bow and all the fixings. However, if you can afford it, you will not be disappointed.

The scope adjusts based on FPS. My bow sighted in perfectly at a setting of 330 FPS on the scope using manufacturers recommended arrows (length and weight). Not sure if the scope FPS is off or the bow doesn't shoot at 355 like they say it does. I also don't really care. It pops arrows deep into a 400 FPS rated target block at 50 yds, and it hits the mark every time. I just mention it because its a review... and some people might care.

Loud. Yes, it makes a lot of noise... even with R.E.D.S. suppressors. Again though, i don't care. The deer may hear the bow snap, but by the time its reflexes react it will be too late. Therefore, this is not a detraction for me. It is a review though, so I mention it.

All in all, I couldn't be much happier unless it had been less expensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, October 14, 2013
Miki Inc (GRIFFITH, IN, US) - See all my reviews
Very well manufactured product. Extremely accurate. Easy to put multiple arrows in 4 inch circle at 30 yards. Definately need REDS noise supressor

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable accuracy, March 8, 2014
I'd been checking out crossbows from a lot of different manufacturers and decided on the Excalibur merely because I could do all of the maintenance on it. Now, I had no idea how well it would shoot. The accuracy is really unbelievable. In my first three shots I robin hooded an arrow right into the back of another arrow. I tried at 20/30/40/50 & 60 yards. All bullseye with the 60 yrd under 1 inch out (low). My only 'complaint' would be how loud it is. It is louder than the 10 points i tried but really it doesn't matter at crossbow ranges. Mine chronographed at 340 FPS with 250 grain diablo bolt / 150 grain field points combination (pushing 400 grains total). I'm using the Excalibur bolt cutter broadheads (150 Grain) and am completely satisfied with the combination.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, July 12, 2014
Great bow so far, can't wait to hunt with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally satisfied with all of my Excalibur products., March 29, 2014
Top Notch quality. My second Excalibur Crossbow.

PRO
this model is shorter and not so wide
very nice tactical scope with red and green illumination
thumbhole stock is awesome
355 fps right out of the box
easy to cock multiple times during a shooting session
easy to uncock with cocking aid after the hunt is done
shoots the 18 inch diablo arrows

CONS
none so far

Totally satisfied with all of my Excalibur products.

Rate and Discover Movies