Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 161 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on July 16, 2010
I spent some time in the book store, and then in Microcenter, looking for a book on Excel. Of course I then ordered it from Amazon to save a lot of money. This book is the one you need. It contains just about everything you will ever want to know, from beginner to advanced user. This includes expecially Visual Basic for Applications for advanced users.

The best thing I have found about this book is that it each topic is short and concise. There is no "fluff" in this book. Every sentence has some meaning and the examples (also included on the CD) are straight forward and to the point. There is no wasted space in this book. You will find in "tips" some things that you won't find in other books, or in the Microsoft documentation.

If you are a beginner or advanced user, you will find this book a treasure of information. It should be the first book you buy about Excel 2010.
22 comments| 170 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 24, 2011
I have been teaching Excel for years and I always recommend this book to my class. This is by far the best Excel book I have ever found for anyone who uses Excel daily. I have purchased each new version that has come out for the past 3 versions. It is invaluable in helping me to discover and use some of the more obscure functions in Excel.
44 comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 26, 2011
I finally got this book and I am indubitably impressed. This book has so far refreshed everything that I have already learned and then taken me to new levels of Excel mastery. The book builds on key functions and charts, graphs, from previous versions along with Microsoft 2010. I love it and I will certainly buy another from this author and this particular series. I'm very happy and I am looking forward to delving deeper into the book. The table of contents alone is pretty impressive to me, highly recommended for any user of Excel looking to advance, from beginner to advanced, you will be surprised by what you didn't know and will learn with this comprehensive book.
on May 24, 2012
This book is THE book to have if you are trying to teach yourself Excel from scratch or answer a few questions you may have. The writing is easy to follow, painless, and clear. The book provides a CD of example datasets you can manipulate for practice. The CD also has a full-text version of the book on it, meaning you can practice excel without having to carry around the book, which is great for people who travel and don't want to lug the book around. Whether you are just starting with Excel or know a lot already, this book is the book to get! I wish I would have purchased it sooner!
on April 17, 2014
At 1,006 pages, 90 of which are Appendices and Index, the Excel Bible is the most comprehensive Excel 2010 resource you will find. Though the author claims in the Introduction that the book is for beginning, intermediate and advanced users, there are other, more visually oriented full-color guides that would ease the adoption of Excel by beginners.

I have been using Excel for more than 15 years and consider myself a competent intermediate level user (though many in the office think I'm an "advanced user"); however I felt that my knowledge of Excel had become stagnant and I knew that I wasn't really taking advantage of many of the newer analytical functions of Excel. I searched through other books offered on Amazon, and found that they were just too basic to allow me to move to the next level.

The book is well organized into the following Parts, each with many chapters included:
Part I: Getting Started with Excel
Part II: Working with Formulas and Functions
Part III: Creating Charts and Graphics
Part IV: Using Advanced Excel Features
Part V: Analyzing Data with Excel
Part VI: Programming Excel with VBA

For now, I am concentrating my efforts in Part IV and Part V - not sure I'll work long enough (or have need for) Part VI !

I use the book in 2 ways:
1) browse through a section to discover features and functions that I didn't know existed, and
2) go to the index to find sections on a specific topic

I always find what I'm looking for in this "Bible". For instance, I just learned that Excel has a very useful "track changes" feature (which has been available in Word forever...) The book works well for my style of learning, since I am almost entirely self-taught in Microsoft applications. For me, it's easier to learn about applications in smaller bites that I can digest and work into my workflow than to dedicate the time to take a course that might last several days - 50% of which would be forgotten before I got back to the office.

The page layout is very readable, with crisp text, bold subheadings, plenty of included graphics and figures, and helpful notes and tips throughout. Many casual users of Excel will never need a tome of this depth, but it has become indispensable to me, and just having it on my desk makes me look smart !
on November 23, 2011
I bought this book because my new company uses Office 2010 and I have to use a lot of pivot tables and write some macros from time to time. This book has been very helpful since there are significant changes in Excel. Luckily the coding is the same(o: The pivot tables have advanced tremendously and I love it. This book is a must for those that use Excel on a regular.
Might I also suggest "Excel Gurus Gone WIld" for those of you that like to try new and impressive tricks on Excel.
on May 17, 2015
This book is so thick that if what you are trying to do isn't listed, then you need to revisit the premise of your idea. This book contains concepts that I would never have dreamed of but, apparently, have always been what Excel was designed for. I purchased this book with the hope of relearning Excel, in order to gain the Microsoft Office Suite Certification and make myself more attractive to employers. Having received this book, I can now say that learning it will take some time but will be so complete that if I cannot obtain certification, then the the problem will be with myself.

Everything from Pivot Tables to the foundation behind extremely difficult formulaic equations is listed within this book and the accompanying CD allows for a structured application process. Were it not for the CD, then this book would become very overwhelming, requiring one to read ahead then make an outline and then attempt to stick to it as they progressed through the chapter.

In order to get the most out of this book, I recommend that you Google every concept that you do not know how/when to apply. That's what I have done and then I just made notes in the Table of Contents section ahead of reaching that point, so I'll know the potential of each section as I get there.

What I have learned to do, so far, is to create a spreadsheet that itemizes my paychecks to the point where I have a pivot table that maps out the money coming in, the bills to pay, the percentage intended for savings, and the amount left over for discretionary spending. I also have a list of my gas receipts and can calculate how many miles I have driven per fillup and have been able to project a distance/dollar amount for trips.

I don't remember learning Excel like this the first time around but I am glad for this book's instruction style. Everything is right to the point without having to filter through a bunch of filler. If you want to relearn Excel, then this is the book to get.
on February 22, 2012
The book arrived in perfect condition and sooner than stated.

This is a softcover/paperback textbook with CD.

After being a homemaker for several decades I now must find a job and most of them use Excel. I am new to Excel and Office 2010 having leaped from Office 2002. This book covers basic and advanced knowledge. I had a problem understanding one or two things but the MS website cleared that up for me.

I like its format and gladly suggest the book to anyone who wants to learn, brush-up, or advance their knowledge of Excel 2010.
on May 23, 2012
This book has made it easy to brush up on things I knew I could do in Excel, but just couldn't remember how. It's also been a lifesaver in getting up to speed on the changes from Excel 2007 to Excel 2010. I consider myself an intermediate to advanced user (vlookups, pivots, etc.) and this book is helping me up my nerd credibility by giving me access to the new enhancements available in Excel 2010. The table of contents and index are both laid out well, so it's easy to get to specific items quickly. It also has a lot of tutorials and well-written explanations of why certain things work they way they do in Excel. I highly recommend this book as a desk reference - it also comes with a free ebook, which is great if you travel and don't want to lug the paper copy around.
on August 19, 2012
I am by no means new to Excel (having certifications in Excel), but there are always new things to learn. I purchased the book to tune up my skills in equations, functions, arrays, and pivot tables and have found this book to be excellent. I have learned about functions that I did not even know existed and it is written so that even the beginner in Excel could understand how and why this is being done, yet it is not so basic that those with experience would be turned off by the way it's written. It's an excllent book! I recommend it for anyone who wants to know about Excel or wants to know more.