Industrial Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now Tikes

Format: PaperbackChange

on September 19, 2010
Excel 2010: the missing manual is part of a growing series of reference manuals for popular software products. Mr MacDonald has also written Access 2010 among other books. A CD with training exercises is not available but a website is available to download the necessary essentials.

Before starting the tutelage, the author describes all the new stuff Microsoft built into this latest version. Throughout the book, there are also many illustrations to help the reader follow the narrative. There are also samples of dialogs that you'll meet in using the program, giving tips on how best to use the dialogs. Interesting sidebars also adds to your learning experience.

The manual targets the absolute novice who hasn't used a spreadsheet before and people who have been using Excel for a while but at a basic level and will transport them to an intermediate level of expertise if so desired. The author starts at the beginning, showing how to open a spreadsheet and then taking a tour of the many features the program has. He slowly and deliberately progresses to adding and moving data, formatting, managing multiple sheets as well as printing your work. Moving on, building formulas and using the many built-in formulas including using the family of "if" statements, math, financial, time, text etc is given high priority. Moving into more interesting fields, List Management, Grouping Data, building templates and creating charts and adding pictures is presented. The program also has clip art and a decent drawing editor that the author shows you how to use.
Moving deeper into Databases, creating Scenarios, Pivot tables, web queries and connecting to a SQL server is next, followed by using Excel with other programs.
The last two chapters cover using VBA in automating tasks. Its pretty rudimentary but its sufficient to show how to record macros. It also shows and describes the macro window, the editors and explains the critical property and methods concerns in programming in Excel. It also shows the value in using variables, looping functions among other essential stuff to get you started in writing macros. Its sufficient to get you started but if you really like using VBA and want to progress beyond this book, you'll need to buy a dedicated book like "Excel 2010 Power Programming with VBA" by John Walkenbach.

This review just scratches the surface of what is presented in this 854 page tome and the author does a nice job in explaining the many features. This is a very credible manual and for anyone wanting to improve their spreadsheet skills should consider it.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Excel 2010: The Missing Manual offers a great guide to Excel 2010. Matthew MacDonald does three things quite well in this book: (1) covers the important features of Excel, (2) explains the features in a user-friendly way, and (3) makes the topic of using Excel interesting.

Excel 2010 has hundreds of features -- this book focuses on the features that address common real-world situations, such as generating monthly financial reports and updating files with new data. MacDonald explains how to use Excel's many features and functions in an easy-to-follow and non-technical manner. In addition, the author manages to keep this subject matter, which could prove dry and dense, interesting and engaging.

I am a long-time and regular user of Excel as well as the author of a book on building financial models with Microsoft Excel (Building Financial Models with Microsoft Excel: A Guide for Business Professionals (Wiley Finance)). This book (Excel 2010: The Missing Manual) is among the very best guides to the general use of Microsoft Excel that I have come across.

Recommended reading for users of Microsoft Excel 2010 -- new Excel users and users migrating to Excel 2010 alike.
on May 22, 2011
I was looking for an explanation on a specific Excel formula to make it do what I wanted. (Vlookup)
I went to the local bookstore and perused several Excel books to try to find the book I should buy. This book was the ONLY one that gave me the one critical piece of information that I had to have to make my formula include partial matches in the way I had to have them work.
As a novice Excel user, I need things explained really basic. So many books give explanations that I feel are way above my ability to grasp.
This book told me in simple terms what I needed and gave me an EASY example to go by.
And it worked, the first time...flawlessly.
I don't use excel's many wonderful features enough to use this book on a daily basis but you can bet it will be on my shelf for reference when I come across those circumstances when I'm out of my league.
But you know, I might just read this book some more and see what I've been's that good.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon August 26, 2010
'Excel 2010: The Missing Manual' might be one of the most impressive books in a line of titles that never fail to amaze me. Packing an enormous 850+ pages of power, this book will show you all the ins and out of Microsoft Excel, and the key word is ALL.

Let's take a look at what this gem has to offer.

Chapter List

25: Collaboration
26: Excel on the Web
27: Talking to other Apps
28-29: Macros and Programming with VBA

The author of the book is Matthew MacDonald, and if you don't know him, you should. He's one of the best computer/technical book writers on the market today, the quality and ease of reading is apparent everywhere you look.

Whether you are an Excel newbie, amateur, or expert, nearly anyone can get something from this book. There is a reason why these books are called 'Missing Manuals' because it's like having a class by your side, all the time.

22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2011
This Excel manual is the best of the bunch I've purchased to date (including the Excel Bible). Easy to read book that is well organized and has plenty of illustrations to demonstrate the many facets of Excel. I've been using Excel for years and I essentially doubled my knowledge of Excel by reading this book. Great buy and a keeper for future reference.
on October 18, 2011
Very good book, using it to study for the Excel 2010 Certification exam. I purchased another book that was supposed to be a step-by-step but this is much more indepth. The index is helpful and exact. Perfect, thank you.
on November 10, 2011
Excel 2010: The Missing Manual is indeed the manula that should have been included in the box. It is the best Excel book that I've ever used. The narrative in the book is very easy to read and to understand. The examples are real life examples and add to the explanation of each topic. This book also shows aspects of Excel that are not even in the Excel Help files. The step by step instructions are very useful and this book has taught me many things that I did not know after using Excel for 20 years. It was definitely worth every cent.
on January 1, 2013
Haven't got into it as much as I would like to but seems well organized and covers a wide range of topics from beginner to expert. This is the book if you need to improve your Excel skills.
on August 17, 2013
This manual is really the most complete text on Excel 2007 and 2010. It explains everything you need to know about using Excel and provides short-cuts and tips to make you more effective. It is not a book for programmers, but it does cover macros and some VBA programming techniques. It's a great reference to have if you're already familiar with Excel and need to look up something quick, but it is even better as a learning tool if you take the time to go through it chapter by chapter so that you have the knowledge in your head and not have to refer to the book.
on September 7, 2012
I love the Missing Manual series in general for getting dialed up on a program. I generally take a look at the front portion that tells me why I ought to use a program so I have an idea of what it's supposed to be capable of, then I try to pick out portions that aren't self-explanatory (for example, functions) to get an idea of how the program operates. Especially with Kindle versions, they are pretty good about cross-referencing concepts so you can tap the hyperlink and bounce to the page that introduces it.