5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Stuff in One Place
Published on November 4, 2009 by Wayne L. Silverman

I'm a huge fan of Jelen's Learn Excel 2010 From Mr. Excel, and use his website frequently.

As a Finance/Accounting consultant and a CPA, I'm exposed a a wide variety of workbooks. The individual examples in Gurus are difficult to apply outside of the given examples. Moreover, bear in mind that spreadsheets should be usable by more than just the creator...
Published 18 months ago by A. Maniar

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Stuff in One Place, November 4, 2009
This review is from: Excel Gurus Gone Wild: Do the IMPOSSIBLE with Microsoft Excel (Paperback)
What makes this book so good is that there is something for every Excel user. This book filled in some missing pieces for me that I've been wondering about for years (yes, it's true I think about Excel too often!) Whether it's statistical modeling or accounting there's something new you can pickup from Jelen. The commands list alone is worth to price of the book. Things I never knew Excel could do (convert currency to Euros for example) is explained in plain language. He even warns of functions that will cause Excel to crash! The best Excel book I own (and I have quite a few.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Excel Formulas For Advanced Users, July 12, 2009
Bill Jelen has done an excellent job putting together a unique collection of all the "scary stuff" that most Excel users don't know about or shy away from.

What makes this book great is that anyone who works in finance and uses Excel for 10 hours a day has seen these problems in the real world and said, "Oh man, I bet Excel can do this, but I don't know how to make it work." Well, Bill Jelen shows you how.

Best of all, the book's layout makes each solution easy to learn and start using immediately.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, April 30, 2009
C. Waters (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I don't think I've ever learned this much this quickly from an Excel book. An amazing amount of information packed into a well organized book. Definitely for those of us who are good with Excel but want to be great. I would give it a fifth star but I find the typography and design ugly and hard to read, but that's just me being a nit-picker. If you want to take the next step up in Excel, definitely buy this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better as it ages, December 12, 2011
I've had this book for a year now, and I have to say I didn't really like it too much when I first got it. I felt like the material was over my head, and I didn't really see much value in the examples that were used in the text.

Fast forward one year.... I have more experience with Excel now, and I have seen and experienced more "non-standard" Excel situations, i.e. stuff other than the simple summations any Excel beginner can do. Upon revisiting this book, I'm developing an appreciation for the elegance and effectiveness of some of the techniques in this book!

I would give five stars to this, but I don't care too much for way the chapters are organized...I would have left out the "summary" section, for example, unless it REALLY added something to the chapter -- most of which, IMO, do not. I would like to see exercises and associated sample Excel files added so that a person can practice what's being taught here. Almost all of these problems would lend themselves well to a tutorial-type of book that I believe would be more accessible to people, like I was a year ago, that don't yet have the depth and breadth of Excel experience I believe it takes to really "get" what's in this book. This book is not for Excel beginners, and never will be, but with the addition of exercises and more verbose explanations of the concepts, it could become more accessible and useful to a broader spectrum of Excel users.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, but if you watch the podcast, you know a lot already, June 9, 2009
The book is fantastic, and Bill Jelen is a great writer that grabs your hand all the way to the end. However, if you watch the daily podcasts you probably already know a great deal of the tricks in this book. In any case, it can also be a great reference book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love The Amazing Formulas!, April 28, 2009
This is my kind of book: Totally amazing Advanced formulas! Bill Mr Excel Jelen does it again! Fantastic book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not usable by a broad base of intermediate-advanced Excel users, June 24, 2013

I wish I could have read the back cover before purchasing this book. It states that only 0.2% of people would find this book fascinating, and it's true.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, December 4, 2012
Tips and tricks well worth the money. Of course it depends what price do you put on your time. This one has plenty of time saving examples for many problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Excel users, April 28, 2011
This book helps you do about everything in Excel 2010. I am a daily excel user at work and have used this book a lot. Has saved me a lot of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for Excel Enthusiasts, February 28, 2014
Bill does a great job in providing a book filled with incredible excel formulas. I enjoy building automated spreadsheets that use complicated formulas. This book has provided me with several I now use. Great job!

Excel Gurus Gone Wild: Do the IMPOSSIBLE with Microsoft Excel
Excel Gurus Gone Wild: Do the IMPOSSIBLE with Microsoft Excel by Bill Jelen (Paperback - April 1, 2009)
$24.95 $19.04