Automotive Holiday Deals Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her  Fine Art Deals Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 13, 2006 8:43:15 AM PDT
Brilliantly written as a series of interviews with survivors. As in his Zombie Survival Guide the absolute seriousness with which he deals with the topic and internal consistency make it a haunting read. You'll want to buy a dog and lock the doors.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2006 12:52:55 PM PDT
Reeder5 says:
I can't wait to read this book. I love this author and his wild imagination.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2006 5:25:39 PM PDT
happy says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2006 7:17:45 PM PDT
Trust me, the wait will be well worth it. I got an advanced copy today and it's FABULOUS. I think it's more engrossing and fascinating than the Survival Guide. Buy it the day it comes out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2006 12:34:03 PM PST
Dave H says:
" a dog and lock the doors" for what? This book was 3/4 borefest. Brooks didn't focus on the war with zombies--he focused on the political gathering b/c of the zombies. There were three of four excellent selections (such as the girl who survived the bathroom incident in the air and the computer geek turned building scale jumper), but that was all. There was nothing scary here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2007 3:06:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 19, 2007 3:06:23 PM PST
M. Elliott says:
but truly good zombie stories don't focus on the zombies. They focus on the human element and the world becoming grey instead of black and white. Also whats ethics when theres no society whats right or wrong?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2007 8:13:22 PM PST
J. Selawski says:
Personally, I don't think that a book that dwells on gory details of carnage is particularly interesting or innovative. Brooks presents an uncommon story in an uncommon format, and should be lauded for that.

This book has gripped me as few books have in recent memory. However, if you're looking for the literary equivalent to a snuff film, you should probably go elsewhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2008 12:13:28 PM PDT
Dustolio says:
... wait, just because he had an 'uncommon story in an uncommon format' doesn not excuse the fact that his story was boring, too long, did not explain ANYTHING, and had no focus. Honestly, I would have been overjoyed with this book if it given me, like ten characters from all over the world and different walks of life and follwed them through their experinces.

The story had no emotional arch, and for the love of God, the footnotes were irritating.

Posted on Jul 15, 2009 10:00:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2009 7:28:53 PM PDT
I am a hard science fiction fan and would normally consider a book about zombies to be fantasy, and therefore, beneath contempt. However, I was shocked and amazed to find that I really liked World War Z. I had that reaction for two reasons, I think. (1) A virus that kills a human and then reanimates the corpse is a plausible rationale -- no supernatural hocus-pocus needed. (2) The "oral history" format made for a tautly told story that was a very fast read. In fact, I quickly read the whole book -- TWICE!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Jun 13, 2006
Latest post:  Jul 15, 2009

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (Hardcover - September 12, 2006)
4.2 out of 5 stars (5,059)