5.0 out of 5 stars Another great techno thriller plus political intrigue
Published on June 16, 2010 by Ed Benjamin

2.0 out of 5 stars An Unfinished Tale
I have read literally all of Dale Brown's books and have never been so disappointed, as I am with Executive Intent. When I saw it in the book store, I bought it without reading its reviews on Amazon first. I took one for the team this time.

Published on July 1, 2010 by Tim H. Rasmussen

2.0 out of 5 stars An Unfinished Tale, July 1, 2010

Although the book starts out with the usual Brown style by creating a real world scenario with increasingly dangerous situations for the main characters and our country, Brown seemed to lose interest and in my opinion rushed to a conclusion without the details of a final battle. I was left with the feeling that a sequel is in the offing. If and when the next book is published, I will dutifully read its reviews first.

Fellow readers; wait for this book to be added to the shelves of your local library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great techno thriller plus political intrigue, June 16, 2010
I just finished reading Dale Brown's latest techno-thriller, "Executive Intent". I have always been in awe of Dale Brown because I spent 27 years in the air force and I can relate to the systems which he describes in his books. The truth be known, I wrote nonfiction proposals for companies, many of them dealing with technically oriented subjects. I can describe technical subjects to an audience who is familiar with the technology but Dale Brown's gift is the ability to describe these subjects so that lay people can grasp them and understand.

This book, more than others I remember, also deals with the personal and political interactions of the senior leadership of the country as they deal with political and military threats to the security of the United States and the world. He does a great job with describing the political intrigue but his descriptions of his protagonists flying in space and in the atmosphere while engaging in hazardous situations is unparalleled.

Mr. Brown keeps you on the edge of his seat as he describes air to air engagement s between Chinese and US navy pilots, and Russian and US Air force pilots. Then there are the descriptions of actions undertaken in space and the explosion of an unmanned satellite (caused by Russian and Chinese intervention) with a crew of a space plane nearby who had just completed maintenance on the satellite.

Mr. Brown starts this book, as he does many of his books, with real world news reports and web blogs which demonstrate that the futuristic aircraft and space technology is closer than we think.
The only problem I had with this book was a gap between the next to last chapter and the last chapter where obviously a great deal of action and political intrigue had taken place. There was, in my opinion, room for about three more chapters.

Overall this was Dale Brown at his best. I liked his move to including more political suspense in to the story. A great read and I wholeheartedly endorse this book to others.

3.0 out of 5 stars I Miss The Old Dog, July 1, 2010
John R. Linnell (New Gloucester, ME United States) - See all my reviews
I believe I have seventeen or so Dale Brown Novels in my bookcase and most of them I really enjoyed. However, as Brown has advanced Patrick McClanahan to retired general status, the stories have become just a bit uncomfortable and implausable for me. The American Holocost was where I decided that I had gone as far as I could with the techno wizadry and Brown's version of the world. I had hopes that this latest book might be a return to something like the earlier times. What I got was a dash of this and a dash of that. We have a new president who has outlooks much like the current one we have and a female Secretary of State who has a very large agenda. At least Brown didn't have to dream those two up. The Vice President is one which we could really use right now, however.

In this book, China and Russia are conniving to get the US out of using space as a defensive weapons environment and they are doing a very good job of it as the president doesn't want to do anything to antagonize or stand up to our adversaries. I won't divulge how this crisis is dealt with, but I will say it is highly unlikely in the real world.

Three stars means "It's OK." And it is. It just isn't what we used to get from this author.

1.0 out of 5 stars Where are the missing chapters?, April 19, 2011
I have read and enjoyed all of Dale Brown's books, but this book just ends. I was horribly disappointed at the lack of a proper conclusion like we always have received. I actually looked at the book to see if pages were missing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Very Good, June 23, 2010
This is not a techno-thriller, rather it is mostly about a bad politician. The reader spends most of his time hating the President and his failure to see and deal with the obvious. You must wait until the final few pages for the bad guys, foreign and domestic, to receive their just rewards. Who can say why Brown revised his formula of major confrontations with the good guys using their high tech aresenal to prevail? I think this novel should just be avoided, it is a disappointment.
Larry Brodsky

5.0 out of 5 stars Dale Brown gets in his groove for this space-themed techno-thriller, June 9, 2010
Dale Brown has been writing aviation (and now space) themed thrillers since 1987 when he authored the classic "Flight of the Old Dog". Many think he has never equaled that effort. Regardless, Brown has churned out about 20 techno-thrillers, many featuring the very durable rogue General Patrick McLanahan, techno wiz billionaire Jon Masters, a very cooperative former US President Martindale, a rotating cast of incompetent, corrupt politicians and literally armies of bad guys around the world.

Typically, Brown can be depended upon for two things: 1) lots of techno wizardry on the ground, in the air and lately in space; and 2) lots of violent, rousing action. Politics have played a larger and larger role in recent Brown offerings and this time they are actually center stage.

We have a new President, Joseph Gardner, who is a "globalist" and "world citizen" kind of guy who feels all that ails the world can be cured by the United States being less "aggressive". His Secretary of State is a woman of unbridled ambition and loose virtue.

The new President has decided that adding more aircraft carriers is the way to assure America's continued dominance and protection of the world's oceans. That means no additional money for a space weapons system that has been underway for some years.

China and Russia observing the weakness of American foreign policy decide to increase their sphere of influence.

And that's where the action - what there is of it - is.

Unlike most Brown novels, most of the focus is on politics of various kinds. International relations. The tensions between the military services. The policy differences between the military and its civilian leadership. Shifting alliances between nations, the fecklessness of the United Nations.

Yes, there are a few combat sequences and a couple of them are edge-of-the-chair tense, but the almost constant combat of earlier novels isn't there and may be missed by many.

There's a lot of space-based techno-wizardry involved and that's a lot of fun.

The Chinese and Russians are tough adversaries and Brown, as is usual, piles in a lot of known facts about their growing military capabilities.

General Patrick McLanahan hovers in the background this time around and plays a relatively small, but critical, part in the adventure. One gets the feeling that McLanahan is being edged into the background.

Overall, while not as action filled as other Dale Brown adventures, this one is well plotted and moves quickly. But it is dangerously close to being more of a political thriller then a techno-thriller. Adrenalin junkies may not enjoy it as much as some of Brown's other novels, but I like it.

Jerry

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 12, 2014
Ordered for my mother-in-law.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my type of novel, June 24, 2014
This review is from: Executive Intent (Kindle Edition)
I did not like this book he maybe a great novelist but not my type of story I found it hard to read

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the reasons I dropped my Sirius subscription is the loss of the "Audio Book Channel" a nice channel for the blind, May 27, 2014
Roy Speer (Kansas City, Mo, US) - See all my reviews
I miss my "Audio Book Channel" on Sirius/XM Radio and this was an opportunity to bring this back to life and enjoy some books while doing other things or on a long trip since Sirius/XM radio no longer cares for the Blind or those that enjoy being read to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, April 26, 2014
This review is from: Executive Intent: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
Great book - I really enjoyed reading it. Dale Brown is an awesome writer. I really like all his books.

Executive Intent: A Novel