on June 11, 2011
Format: DVD
Mountain Climbers.....There are a lot of them. They are very effective for working your core (and your shoulders while you stay in the pose), and also provide a nice cardio blast - but not something everyone enjoys. I personally love them and really liked this workout! I wasn't really watching the modifier during the workout but it appears she stays in downward dog and does some knee bends.

There are (6) segments of about 10 minutes each including the stretch section. While yoga poses are used throughout the DVD, I never really felt like I was doing yoga. You do need light hand weights - I used 2 lbs. The first four segments build on each other, the first segment starting slowly. Here is a breakout of the DVD:

ENERGY MOVES (10:10) - all done standing except for planks and downward dog
o Shoulder rolls, standing twists, side stretches
o Second position squats, initially sweeping arms overhead, moving to some slow punches, and then twisting to warm up the spine
o Wide leg standing forward bend
o Pyramid pose variations
o Squat variations
o Standing quad stretch moving to Natarajasana
o Standing side bend
o High plank with slow alternating knee tucks
o Downward Dog
o Standing Side Bend
o Repeat plank with slow alternating knee tucks and downward dog

CARDIO FLOW (10:53) - need light hand weights
o Standing side stretches to high plank, to Mountain Climbers to Downward Dog - repeat cycle three times w/16 Mountain Climbers in first two cycles, 24 in the third
o High plank to side plank, back to center with pushup, side plank on alternate side (repeat twice)
o Downward dog
o Repeat standing side stretch to mountain climbers (24)
o Downward Dog variations (tuck knee, extend back)
o Repeat standing stretch to mountain climbers (32)
o Downward Dog
About 5 minutes into this segment:
o Lunge/Crescent Pose with side bend using weights
o Warrior 1 and Warrior 2, bending and straightening the bent leg, and using weights for upper body and waist work
If I counted correctly, there were 112 Mountain Climbers throughout this flow.

POWER FLOW (10:36)
Light weights are used during this entire routine except during the Mountain Climbers and Downward Dog
o Standing side stretch to Mountain Climbers (32) to Downward Dog
o Standing knee lifts and then stepping back to high lunge
o Slow punches with weights
o Standing side stretch to Mountain Climbers (40) to Downward Dog
o Stationary lunges moving to Warrior 3 using weights for triceps
o Standing side stretch to Mountain Climbers (40) to Downward Dog
o Standing back leg raise moving to Warrior 3 pulsing the raised leg
o Standing side stretch to Mountain Climbers (48) to Downward Dog
They have you add twists when doing the Mountain Climbers in this flow. Again, if I counted correctly there were 160 Mountain Climbers. I think some may find the Warrior 3 based work rather challenging for balance.

POWER SWEAT (11:22)
I was sweating before I started this flow! Light hand weights are used again throughout the standing portion of this segment.
o First 5 minutes alternates between second position plies alternating with standing knee lifts stepping back to high lunge
o Standing side stretch to Mountain Climbers (56) to Downward Dog
o "Speed Skate" squat variations holding weights behind you. Includes lateral and diagonal back leg raises.
o Standing side stretch to Mountain Climbers (64) to Downward Dog
o High plank
o Sphinx to Child's Pose
I did drop the hand weights during the very last portion of the squats as I was feeling them in the lower back.

CARDIO CURL (10:41)
Traditional Core Fusion style c-curve ab work, adding in leg variations, but felt like a fresh routine. Seemed like one of their tougher ab workouts, or perhaps I was just tired from the Cardio work!

BONUS STRETCH (9:23)
o Bridge moving into optional Wheel Pose. Liz lifts one leg at a time while in Wheel.
o Several supine hip stretches - figure 4, "butterfly" (like a supine Gomukhasana), twist
o Sitting cross leg - side and shoulder stretches
o Seated twist (Ardha Matsyendrasana)
o Seated straight-leg forward bend
o Seated wide leg forward bend
o Thigh/hip stretch
o Downward dog
I liked this segment, although I paused the DVD and held some of the stretches longer than they did.

FINAL COMMENTS:
I really did like this DVD. It got my heart going as promised, and I felt like I got a really good workout. I didn't feel it in my glutes as much as some of their barre DVDs, but an excellent upper body, core and lower body workout. Some portions may be challenging for a beginner although I did not watch the modifier that much during the workout.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 4, 2011
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
Let me preface this review with a little history. I am an 80's girl and grew up doing Jane Fonda and Kathy Smith videos. Over the years I have done lots of different videos: step aerobics, billy blanks (Tae-bo still has a special place in my heart for getting me back into shape after baby #3), kettlebell, jari love (still love her videos), and many others over the years. I love to cycle/spin and do elliptical for cardo, but love my dvds. I'm 40 and some of the videos are starting to be too much for me and make me too sore for days afterwards. I decided to try these videos because there was such positive feedback. I have never left feedback before, but I love these dvds so much I felt I needed to. This video is awesome! The workouts are effective and Im not too sore to function the next day. They get the job done!I have more ab definition than I have ever had with all the workout dvd's I have used in the past. I have realized its not about "bulking up", its about being lean and toned and sculpted. Try them!!
on August 28, 2011
Format: DVD
This is the newest DVD of the Core Fusion series. When Core Fusion Cardio came out about a year ago I was one of the first ones to try it at the studio and I loved it! So when I saw they were coming out with a DVD I was ecstatic. Since all New Yorker's were stuck inside this weekend due to Hurricane Irene, I decided to give this DVD a try this morning and let me tell you I was sweating up a storm inside my own apartment!

Workout DVDs are not my strong suit, it is hard to get myself motivated when there is no one else there pushing me. But once the DVD started I was hooked. It was like I was taking a class at the studio. Some DVDs are very different from the classes that you would take at a studio but this one was just like being in class, I felt like Fred was in my apartment giving me a private session. The DVD is broken up into 6 sections about 10 minutes each. If you don't have a lot of time you can do one or two sections, or if you want a great workout do the entire DVD which is about 60 minutes. The 6 sections are:

Energy Moves - (10:10) Wake up your muscles and get your body warmed up, this was great because I was feeling pretty lazy when the DVD first started but after I got through this I was ready for more
Cardio Flow - (10:53) Sections 2-4 were my favorite, they are all done with light weights or you don't have to use weights if you want to modify it. The sections are what they call a cardio flow, each move flows into the next. Each section is different which keeps you engaged the entire time. I tend to get bored with DVDs that make you do the same circuit multiple times but this DVD does not make you do that, you are constantly changing up the toning and cardio moves which is great for your body. The one thing that remains constant in these 3 sections are the mountain climbers. By the end of the 3 sections you will work your way up to 64 mountain climbers! Which sounds like a lot but they do it in a way where it flies by!
Power Flow - (10:36)
Power Sweat - (11:22)
Cardio Curl - (10:41) Cardio Abs, wow this was hard! It was such a great workout for your core, you are constantly engaging it and you can really feel it changing your core, do this for a couple of weeks and you will have extremely strong abs!
Stretch - (9:23) Having a section dedicated to stretching was great because it makes you take the time to stretch your body after a hard workout

If you have never taken a Core Fusion class, I highly recommend this DVD. It is the perfect blend between cardio and toning. It will keep you engaged the entire hour and you will get an amazing full body workout. This DVD will be in my weekly workouts.
on September 15, 2011
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
Depending on who you compare me with, I am in relatively good shape. However, this was a challenge I had to work up to completing.
I had worked with another core exhale DVD that dealt with shaping and sculpting. As I enjoyed both the teaching method and the workout, I figured I would try this DVD. It is exactly what it says--pure intensity but worth all the hard work. I am, after a short time, seeing definite results I did not see with my other workouts. I highly recommend this workout if you're up for a challenge.
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I generally enjoy the "Exhale:" series and bought this one for a cardio workout. For background info, I work out 6 days a week, teaching sculpt/step classes 3 of those days. When I workout at home, I use a chest strap heartrate monitor to make sure I'm working out in my "aerobic" zone.

This DVD comes with a menu that allows the viewer to pick a segment or do any or all of the five, 10 minute segments. I chose the option to complete all five, a 50 minute workout. My heartrate did not get above 110 until the 3rd segment. I usually get to 140 in the first 10 minutes of the "Tonique" or one of the "Firm" cardio workouts When I did get above 110, the highest my heartrate raised to was 130.

I to give this DVD 4 stars, because if you use a heavier weight and add squatting or propulsion moves in between the rests, you can get a moderate cardio workout and as is, I think it's a nice sculpting workout (adding weight. I also like the "mountain climbers" (pistoning the legs while in plank) and the plie's with weights. I will do this workout again on a light day or on a sculpting day.
on May 19, 2014
Format: DVD
I have other Core Fusion workouts…Lean and Toned, Body sculpt, Boot Camp, Pilates Plus…they are all good, especially Body Sculpt. I want to like this workout, but the postures required while leaning forward cause too much pressure on the lower back and knees. It is pure intensity all right, intense pain on your low back and knees. I know how to align my posture, having been a gymnast I have no problem holding a pose. But this is just nonsense…I do not recommend for anyone with knee or back issues.
on September 24, 2011
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I was disappointed with this DVD. I have enjoyed the other Core Fusion DVDs; while they are not as intense as my other workouts, I could find a place for them in my routine to strengthen and tone, and provide an alternative to some of my heavier workouts. The workouts on this DVD did not hit the right mix of cardio or toning that I expected. The only workout that I will do again on this DVD is the 'Power Sweat' segment. The other workouts don't raise the heart rate, and don't contain a good mix of toning moves. Maybe the diehard Core Fusion fans will enjoy it - but for newcomers, try one of their other excellent DVDs.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 27, 2012
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I used to be a member of Exhale Spa where these classes are exclusively offered but the $120.00 a month price tag was too much. Now with the DVD's I can get the same results. I have tried every workout to lose weight and tone up (kickboxing, aerobics, yoga etc) and nothing works like Core Fusion!!! These DVD workouts are not as pumped up and move slower than the classes but I turn the volume off on the video because I am familiar with the workouts and know the patterns so I can play my heart pumping music to keep me going. Highly recommend!!! Perfect for women like me that are looking for results:-)
on September 13, 2011
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I have been using the Cardio Intense DVD for about 2 weeks and I love it!! I really like the change up from
cardio to weights also, I feel like I get the best burn on my muscles and toning in my abs and thighs than any other fitness routine or DVD I have ever used. I love all the Exhale Core Fusion DVD's,the only exception would be the Energy Flow yoga, some of the moves are uncomfortable for me, other than that they are amazing,for anyone who is just beginning to use these, work on holding the form and movements,you will be so happy when you put on your shorts this summer!! I hope they continue to release new DVD's!
on February 27, 2013
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I felt this the next day in my abs, glutes, and hamstrings!! I have been doing this video for two weeks, and I see incredible results. It really tones you up, works on the core, and the cardio is excellent. I love the mountain climbers. My hamstrings are on fire from those. The workout incorporates cardio in a very creative way. I highly recommend this video.. Do it 4-5 times a week, and you will see what I'm talking about!!