Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 5, 2012
Received this Deep Cycle battery 2 weeks ago from Amazon. The manufacture's production date was 11/2011 and the manufacture's ship date (to Amazon?) was 12/2011 so the battery was received factory fresh. It arrive with a full charge per my multi-meter at 12.8 volts. It has 840 cranking amps at 32 degrees and 700 cranking amps at 0 degrees. It is a 100 amp hour battery with a 200 minute reserve capacity.

This battery was installed in a diesel pusher motor home as the "house" battery, which is used to power the lights, heat, water pump etc. when you are not connected to utility power or running the generator.

It is heavy (at about 72 pounds) but since it is a sealed AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery we won't have to remove it every 6 months and check the water level in it as you do regular lead acid batteries.

We also use a NOCO Genius G7200 charger (also sold through Amazon) to keep it charged since it is a "smart" charger and will not over charge the battery. We no longer use the coach's built in 12 volt converter/charger to keep the batteries charged since it will over charge the batteries and shorten their life.

Even though we have only had the battery 2 weeks, I would recommend it for 3 reasons:

1. PRICE! When shopping around for a group 31 AGM battery, our local battery store (Batteries Plus) wanted $325.00 for theirs. (To be fair, their AGM battery was a hybird with 1000+ cranking amps - it is across between a deep cycle battery and a starting battery.) Other places online wanted $250.00 or more and around $50.00 shipping!

2. Exide has been making batteries for over 120 years so I think they will be around to honor their 2 year replacement warranty.

3. As an AGM battery there little maintenance (Just wipe it off every now and then). I have had an AGM battery in our full size truck for 7 years with no problems to report. Our other vehicles have had to have their batteries replaces every 2 to 3 years. The heat in Texas is hard on a battery... (From now on when we replace the batteries in our vehicles, they too will be AGM batteries.)

We plan on purchasing 2 more of these batteries when our existing engine starting batteries need to be replaced in the coach.
(NOTE: 2 Exide RF-31's (RoadForce mdel) were purchased in July of 2012.)

Hope this helps someone!

Update March of 2015:

As stated previously, we did purchase 2 more of these (the Exide RF-31 versions) for our diesel pusher in July of 2012. The RF-31's are used to start the diesel engine. AND we use a 240 amp alternator that charges the batteries and provides additional power for our 5000 watt inverter. We use the 5000 watt inverter to run the microwave or coffee pot or even the house air conditioning (13500 BTU's). Please note the the diesel engine is running and charging these batteries when we use such a high amount of power. These batteries are used just to store the power from the high output alternator. The batteries feed the 5000 watt inverter using 3200 strand welding cable (350 MCM cable). We also use the 350 MCM welding cable to go from the high output alternator to the batteries and another section to ground so that there is no power lost when charging.

It has been 3 years since we purchased our first MC-31 and it is still in use. I do not think it has the same capacity as it once had but I had used the old converter/charger in the motor home to charge this battery when I was using the NOCO G7200 charger for another project that lasted for about 6 months. The Old converter/ charger may have gotten the one MC-31 over charged who knows. Last year we replaced the old converter/charger with a new computerized model that stops charging the batteries when they are full. This new converter was also purchased at Amazon ( Progressive Dynamics (PD9260CV) 60 Amp Power Converter with Charge Wizard ).

We are planning to purchase another MC-31 but it may be the Exide XMC-31 this time. The XMC-31 has 1100 cranking amps & 925 Cold Cranking Amps. It may be use along next to the 3 year old MC-31 for "house" power in the motor home OR used as the diesel starting battery and the 2 RF-31's and the one MC-31 tied together (3 batteries as one large 12 volt storage unit) to use as the "house" battery in the motor home. Haven't decided yet which way to go. The Motor home is designed to have 4 batteries (2 for the engine and 2 for the "house") but we have only been using the 3 newer Exide batteries and just a spacer in the forth spot (2 for the engine and 1 for the house.

Hope this update helps !
44 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 22, 2011
I bought this battery for my travel trailer and it passed the test on a recent 10-day trip to Yellowstone park. I had plenty of power for the whole trip without having to recharge. There was not a hint of fading power on the whole trip. My previous battery, which is only a year old, did not last this long on week-long trips. I'm happy.

Added 1/13/13 - I bought a motor home and no longer use this on a trailer. I am now using it as a battery for my Minn-Kota 50 lb thrust troling motor on my 2 boats. I can also hook up my fish finder to it and have plenty of power for both. It works as a back-up for the motor home though I haven't had to use it yet.
on June 17, 2011
I purchased two of the Exide MC-31 batteries from Amazon which were delivered in May, 2011. They were very well packaged and in excellent condition. After unpacking and inspecting the batteries, I was surprised to see that the manufacture date was May of 2010. The batteries had been in storage without charging for a full 12 months. The open circuit voltage indicated only about 75% charge, indicating that some plate sulphation must certainly have taken place by this time reducing the battery life and capacity. When I contacted Amazon their representative directed me to deal with the manufacturer. (Catch 22) The manufacturer did not supply the batteries to me directly and they were not actually defective (just old). I put the batteries into service and just hope their service life has not been shortened dramatically. When they were shipped to Amazon is not known, but selling lead acid batteries that are already a year old sounds like a huge oversite on Amazon's part. If you are considering the purchase of one of these batteries, I would suggest you contact Amazon first and inquire as to the date of manufacture.
77 comments| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I was a bit worried about ordering a battery from Amazon especially after the poor review and date problem listed below but, our travel trailer battery was dead and after checking local prices (whew!) decided to give this a try.

After reading all the reviews, opted for this one and then noticed, WarehouseDeals had one available for a few bucks less. Since batteries can't be returned in general, I figured the less spent, the less risk and opted to give it a go.

When the battery arrived, my initial reaction was "uh-oh" because it was dusty and dirty. No grease or anything but lots of dust...I think there was even a shoe-print on it! I dreaded the worst thinking this thing must have been sitting around the warehouse for ages. No so! I cleaned it off a bit and saw the date being the SAME month as shipped! Wow - I can't even get batteries that new locally. In fact, I can't come anywhere near this price on this battery (or similar ones) locally...the next best price was about $100 more than what I paid.

Hooked it up to see the charge...was at 92%. Charged the remainder. Works like a charm! Couldn't be more pleased by this purchase. Great battery, great price, great delivery, very fresh! Oh - it was dirty as all get-out but I saved about $100 so still very pleased!
on August 8, 2012
I bought 2 of these batteries for my "Solar battery" power project. I choose these AGM batteries because they give off minimum gas during the charge and disharge cycle. We had a power failure last month for 2 hours and with my inverter running a 500 watt load the battery was still 12.1 volts. With the 2 batteries in parallel I know it will carry the load even longer. Being an Amazon Prime member giving free shipping on a 75 pound battery this was a no brainer. I can reccomend these batteries. I think I am set up for the upcoming rolling brown outs.
review image
on February 10, 2014
I had two batteries that failed before a year, got two more and they also failed before one year. Lucky for me all 4 fell under the 1 year warranty. You always have to go through Amazon instead on Exide to claim the warranty. Both times I ordered the batteries they arrived undercharged at around 11.8 volts, they should be around 12.9 volts fully charged. Both times the manufacturer date was over 6 month before the time of purchase. Makes me believe the batteries were sitting around for a long time which damages the batteries. I have seen internet comments that these Exide batteries are not true AGM batteries although I have not looked into their concstruction. I properly charged these batteries the entire time while I had them using a Morningstar MPPT charge controller and they were in a home basement environment of 68 to 72 degrees their entire lifetime so there were no temperature issues.
on June 3, 2015
I bought four of these for a houseboat battery bank with the total cost being fairly significant. Unfortunately, when they arrived I learned that three of them had been manufactured in Dec 2013! The other one in Apr 2014. This means I paid for a new product while received a very used one. As almost anyone knows, used deep cycle batteries have zero retail value. Very disappointed in Amazon and it's hard to believe they would do something like this.
on November 16, 2015
AGM batteries have the great advantage of never needing service. Not only that but, since they don't vent, they stay remarkably clean and corrosion free. I have two of these in my RV cranking a 350 horsepower Caterpillar diesel engine. I have another set powering the "house" batteries and have had perfect performance for three years.
on March 23, 2016
I wrote to Exide and they assured me that “Our Megacycle batteries are manufactured at our plant in Columbus, GA. Not sure why it would be listed as Spain on Amazon, but we will look into that.”
Hope that helps! Exide Technologies.
I received the Megacycle and it was built July of 2015 and it had 12.8 Volts. After a twenty minute charge at 2 amps it was at 13.8 volts (just like new). Only took two days to deliver to my doorway. “No Core Charge.”
I’m disappointed that the battery does not have a Made in the USA sticker on it.
on April 19, 2013
This battery is great even when not used for a boat or RV. Using a 1,500 watt inverter, Anywhere PRO Audio in Jacksonville, NC uses it to power its BOSE professional sound systems where there is no access to power. We can run our systems for up to 9 hours on a single charge! Amazing output!

The batteries came fully charged with a manufacture date of only 2 months prior to purchase! Great Product!