Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I adore Brides of the Kindred series, and Exiled is a wonderful addition that ties up a few loose ends, as well as sets a slight stage for the next in the series. This was supposed to be the last, but the author got an spark of an idea while ending this one. So us fans will not be disappointed as the author states she'll be working on yet another installment next year.

This book's scenario pushes a lot of Dom/Sub thing, but this time, it is the females that are in charge. Interesting that the main character keeps saying "I just can't", but then always does, because she has too to pretty much save the universe, and her kindred "sub" makes it easy for her with love and compassion. I thought it was well done and thought out. Very interesting the world of the female doms, not for the faint of heart.

By far, the little gem of a cookie I was thrown was when a certain kindred I won't mention, (but his name rhymes with BEAR with a 'D' on the end ;-) experiences a totally female situation towards the end. I laughed so hard I almost pee'd my pants... that was AWESOME bone the author threw to her ravenous readers! Loved that Evangeline!

Anyways, this is a great installment, worth the $2.99 for sure.

NOT a stand alone book, you really need the back stories to get the most out of it.

Thanks Evangeline for not gouging the reader high prices to enjoy a little escape quality in your books like some others. I recommend this series to all the folks at the place where I work. There are more of us paranormal romance readers out there than most people realize. Better than movies, better than TV, my kindle gets more face time than the other two combined!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 25, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition
I admire how Evangeline manages to make me scream one minute, cry the next, and want to commit murder the next.

I have been caught up in the Kindred stories since the first book. I liked that she gives her readers a nice long read and keeps the prices down. So many writers I've tried recently want twice as much money and you are lucky if you get 100 pages most of which are sex.

This book tells the story of a touch kindred. A branch that isn't accepted very well by the others. I can't help but wonder what other branches might be out there for future discovery.

This one deals with the quest by Lissa and Saber to get back the scrolls that the evil priestess sold for her nestegg. Of course the scroll is on a planet that the kindred avoid. This is without doubt the most cruel planet we've visited so far. Men are subjated, raped, tortured and eventually [it is implied] killed as a result of the torture.

Now it is obvious that the whole trip is designed to push the two into re-examining the taboo that has kept them apart. I know some peole are writing that it is spicer than her other work. It has some kink, but for me wasn't spicer. But I don't read for the sex but for the building relationship.

There are 2 things that really wish had been different, I wanted the torturing witch on the planet to get paid back for how she tortured that poor boy, and I felt the secondary story with L was rushed. Her afterword explains that. Personally I wish instead of releasing this so quickly that she had reworked the end and has L's story wrapped up in the next book.

Also since she writes m/m as well, rescue that poor boy and find him the only gay kindred in the universe to look out for him.

Also from the reaction of other kindred to Lissa and Saber's bonding sex, once the story spreads they'll want a touch kindred and his bride on ever tier of all their ships.

I hope the next book pushes the envelope more than this one did. I know I'll be buying it as soon as it comes out.
Format: Kindle Edition
Exiled is the 7th book in Evangeline Anderson's Kindred series. Originally it was supposed to be the end of the series but thankfully the author's muse has given her more ideas for future books and there will definitely be an 8th book in the series. I'm very excited for this series to continue on because Exiled was a great book!

Exiled follows Lissa and Saber as they go on a dangerous mission to retrieve some stolen scrolls that can help save the Kindred from the hoard enemy. The world building in this series has always been amazing and this book is no different. The author takes the audience into another world within the Kindred Universe. There are very detailed descriptions that make you feel like you're there right along with the characters. One of my favorite things about this series so far is how creative the author is with the different worlds she builds within the Kindred Universe. It's fun to get sucked into a whole new culture every time I read a book in this particular series.

We also get to see familiar faces from previous books which I appreciate. I love that the author doesn't just forget about the characters from her previous works. She always includes them and they usually play pivotal roles throughout the series. It's always interesting to see what the old characters are up to.

Lastly, I have to mention the relationship between Lissa and Saber. Both characters showed a lot of growth throughout the story. The chemistry and sex was off the charts spicy, and definitely well written in a classy manner.

I would highly recommend this book for purchase and if you haven't read this series yet, you definitely should. The books are long and come at a bargain of $2.99. I was lucky enough to receive a copy to review but I am definitely purchasing it for my kindle.

Pick up your copy today! You won't regret it.
on February 27, 2013
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
It pains me to write this as I think Anderson is a very talented writer. The Kindred series used to be the gold standard for me for PNR. Exiled really made me question continuing reading the series. The h is weak, whiny, and ineffective - what is attractive about that? The world building is too much around sex in this book. I did not find the Touch Kindred an interesting race to read about as I did Beast, Twin, Tranq - maybe because this book felt very much like a "riding the Kindred fan train" rather than an inspired story in the author's mind. I reread Claimed and was struck by how there were sweet/romantic moments - while Exiled just seems like bunch of gratuitous erotic scenes with filler thrown in. The filler being what is going on with past Kindred characters who came across as annoying and needed to be told to mind their own business in each other's lives.

I expect to get a lot "not helpful votes" on this review because Anderson, deservedly so, is very popular with her fans, but I had to voice this as I have appreciated when other reviewers spared me a dissatisfying read.
Format: Kindle Edition
Once again Evangeline Anderson takes us on a thrill ride through space with her vivid descriptions and heartfelt characters. This time we visit Yonnie Six. Where women reign supreme and men are nothing more than sex slaves and possessions. The High Priestess Lissa and the Kindred Touch warrior Saber must go under cover to retrieve the stolen Sacred scrolls that contain the information that will save the Kindred race from the Hoard.

Lissa's biggest dilemma won't be transforming herself into a dominating Mistress, but ignoring her feelings for Saber. She has loved him since she was a little girl and his family adopted her. Even though they have no blood relation, according to their clan laws theirs is a forbidden love and the reason Lissa was sent away to become a Priestess.

Saber is next in line to govern his people the Touch Kindred and would do anything to protect them. He has no problem submitting to the woman who once made an oath 'to never have him', but is he willing to let her go after they complete their mission?

Meanwhile the Hoard's leader Draven has a surprise planned for the Kindred still aboard the mother ship and in comes in the form of the mysterious and dangerous L.

Wow! I really enjoyed this book. It was very fast paced and I had a hard time putting it down. The different story lines flowed beautifully and I loved catching up on the other Kindred couples. This book could definitely stand alone, but it's much better if you read the series in order. For those that are hooked on the Kindred Series like me, Ms. Anderson announces that this will not be the end of the series after all. Yay!
Format: Kindle Edition
Ms. Anderson did it again, another wonderful hot and sizzling book! Fighting off the bad guys, blue and red nipples, finding love, finding your sister and FINALLY planning her joining ceremony... a jam packed novel!
on September 22, 2013
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
If whimpering virgins are not your thing I'd stay well away from this one. The quivering, the hesitation, the insecurity and plain out stupidity. I just wanted to shake the woman. How anyone could possibly be fooled that she is supposed to be a mistress in charge of a hulking warrior is beyond me. Couldn't finish it.
on November 29, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I have to give it to Anderson, she did go a bit out of the box (well, for her) with this one. There are body switches, the girlish heroine has Fem-dom moments, and most of the stammering was kept to a minimum. I will say though, that I found both Lissa and Saber to be very bland characters. Lissa's characterization bears a striking resemblance to Nadiah's, in that she is a virgin and is portrayed as an innocent young woman in need of a man to awaken her sexually. And while Saber is likeable enough (he's not too obsessed/overly concerned, at least) he just wasn't very interesting. These characters and the scenarios they are put in are always played out the same exact way. Their behaviors are generally very predictable. It wasn't hard for me to imagine Saber in a submissive position because Kindred men are not true Doms anyway, at least not with their brides, so I will agree with the other reviewer that the angst between Lissa and Saber near the end of the novel (regarding a certain event that I will leave unspoiled) doesn't exactly jive with the Kindred M.O. and didn't make a whole lot of sense, although it was resolved in a very adult fashion for once, which I appreciated.
I enjoyed the first part of the novel the most; the sexual tension and build up was done nicely as usual. Both Lissa and Saber are clearly attracted and into each other, and in spite of the cultural taboo that two people from the same clan can't hook up, they both are willing to look past that. There is some token resistance, mostly from Lissa at first, but it didn't get too annoying as it has in some of the past books. There was also some quality adult conversation and introspection that kind of surprised me. I am not used to seeing that, and it's very much welcome, as I've found the lack of communication between other pairings to be annoying and lazy.
Unfortunately, the latter half of the book suffers from what I imagine was a rushed writing job. Perhaps Anderson wanted to get this one out before the craziness of the holidays, but I think it would have benefited from her putting a bit more time into the body-switching stuff and the psychological effects of that,and maybe saving the L/Draven romance for the next book, since she's says she's changed her mind about ending the series with this installment. The way she wrote their story into the second half left much to be desired, and we didn't even get any sexy time out of it. Draven came around FAR too easily, IMO, which is why I think that others are saying the same thing; he needed his own book/story. I noticed a couple of big grammatical and naming errors as well, although those don't annoy me as much as they do some people. Since she's going to continue the series, I am hoping for a different angle or scenario in the next one, or at least some different character types than what we've been seeing thus far.
on November 25, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition
This was a fantastic book and all the other reviewers have done a great job going over the plot, so I'm going to focus my review on the characters and world building.

Your story often rests on the shoulders of the protagonist. Is this a believable character? Do you root for him or her? I was worried that I wouldn't like Lissa in the beginning of the book because she was protesting over what she would need to do for the mission. In my head I was saying, "If you're not going to touch this hunka, hunka mass of burning man flesh, I know I will". As Lissa's character developed, I came to the conclusion that Lissa possesses a quiet strength, a need to protect those less fortunate, and a sense of humility - traits that make her a strong Priestess. When placed in this world that Evangeline created, a world where women dominate and men are subjugated to an extreme, her strengths shine.

I actually wish I could have learned more about Saber's character to explain some of his actions. Here is a leader of men, who planned on renouncing his position when he was younger and now that he has Lissa again is going to transfer his position to Reddix (can't wait for book 8). So, it seems that we have an equally strong man that is willing to sacrifice everything for love, yet when his masculinity feels threatened, he thinks that his female will lose all respect for him? I was a little confused on this. I understand the need for this to move the plot/conflict, but I wasn't sure I believed that he would turn Lissa aside after everything they've been through. So, I was thinking that if I knew more about Saber, I could understand why he did what he did. Based on their history, it seems that he shares some of the same qualities as Lissa - that need to protect others less fortunate, but what else? There was this gaping hole in his life after Lissa left that also shaped him and I wish I could have learned more about this time period.

Also, Evangeline has the admirable talent of introducing us to even the worst characters (e.g., Draven) and making us love them. I knew she was going to give Draven his HEA, and I skeptical on how this was going to happen and if I was going to believe this soul transformation, but OMG - if that didn't happen - she did it! Someone else mentioned that the story between Draven and L seemed rushed, but just because Draven gets a HEA doesn't mean he gets his own story - that would be pushing it. Although I do look forward to reading more about Draven and L in the next book.
That's another thing that folks have mentioned - that Evangeline keeps us connected to all our favorite characters. I cannot image how hard it is to remember all these distinct `voices' while you're writing. Even when folks were soul switching, EA describes the characters so well that I could distinguish between all the shenanigans.
I'm just splitting hairs - in my humble opinion Evangeline Anderson is the BEST author out there and I have been reading romances for over 20 years! So any critiques I give are just gilding the lily (as they say). Onward and upward!
on November 26, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition
It is another book that kept me wondering what was going to happen next. I so wanted to see Kat get marry and now there is another book coming next year. Hurray. I want to see what going to happen next in each of the girls lives from the previous books. I don't believe in telling the story line so the next one can enjoy it as I have done. I recommend reading this book, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.