Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Deal of the Day

I've never read a more repetitive book in my life! The main character says the same thing over and over and over again, within two pages she mentioned that she was "tutoring for extra credit" six times verbatim, and here's another example.

"The fear I'd seen in her eyes last night was gone...She looked less tense and more like my mom again. Now that I'd awakened and the nurse assured her I would recover just fine, she seemed less tense, and more like my mom again."

Really?!? Does she seem less tense and more like your mom again?

The writing is boring as heck, not to mention stiff and awkward, there's no life in these pages at all because the writer obviously doesn't have the ability to bring a story to life through nuance, dialogue, setting and descriptions, in other words, she has no idea how to create an atmosphere. Speaking of which, there are no physical descriptions of the characters, the dialogue between the characters is a complete mess and thus unbelievable, people just don't speak that way, especially teenagers.

I really feel like this author is trying to copy Rachel Vincent's Soul Screamers series because the similarities there, but unlike Rachel Vincent who's an artist, this book just doesn't pull it off, isn't even in the stratosphere of pulling it off. The characters are too unreal (Pagan is a completely boring Mary Sue), and the scenarios leave a lot to be desired before anyone will be able to say I can see that happening, or even to suspend disbelief. In it's entirety this story is just too ridiculous.

It could have been a good story, for a writer with a lot more skill. If you want to just read words on a page without being pulled into the story and living vicariously through the characters, This is the one for you. If not, keep it moving.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 14, 2012
I really wanted to like this book. The plot idea was great - falling in love with Death - awesome, I couldn't wait to read this! The execution though really left something to be desired. I was so disappointed with this book, the story was so drawn out and angsty in a less than good way, the same phrases were used over and over and eventually I just started skipping to sections that I hoped would be more interesting. One of the main reasons I bought this book was because the reviews made it seem so good. Unfortunately, it's really not.
on December 19, 2011
Honestly, I thought this was going to be a stand-alone novel up until the very last sentence. I haven't found any confirmation on Abbi Glines website yet, but I am going to assume Existence was the first novel in a new series based on the enormous cliffhanger at the end of the novel. Wow! I was not expecting that Ms. Glines; you definitely caught me by surprise.(Updated 1/23/12: Abbi Glines website shows that Existence is the the first book in the Existence trilogy.)

Existence by Abbi Glines was a good paranormal romance novel. I really enjoyed some aspects of this novel. However, there were a few things didn't really work for me.

The paranormal aspect of this novel was an entertaining new twist on the typical fallen angel/sojourner premise. This novel wasn't about angels. It was similar, but it was also unique in its own way.

The romance between Pagan and Dank was nice, but I had a hard time believing in them. I enjoyed hearing about their connection, but I would have like to have seen it more. It was obvious that Pagan and Dank had strong feelings for one another, but I had no idea what their feelings were based upon. Their relationship would have been more believable if they had talked more and had gotten to know one another better. Overall, I would have liked to see their relationship develop more.

I also could have done without all of the extra people in their relationship. Pagan and Dank both dated other people when they knew that they would never love them. Why did Pagan lead Leif on? It was cruel and selfish. Why in the world did Dank date Kendra, Leif's ex-girlfriend? He had no feelings for her whatsoever, and their relationship didn't add anything to novel at all. It was randomly thrown in and pointless.

My favorite character in the book was Gee. She doesn't have a huge part in the novel and she isn't introduced until much later in the book, but her character was the only one that really came to life for me. She had a louder than life personality; she made me laugh and smile. She was the most entertaining character hands down!

Pagan, the main character, should have held the spotlight, but she didn't really do it for me. Mainly, she was over the top, ridiculously dramatic. She reminded me of the main character from Abbi Glines first novel, Breathe. Did she really let a "break up" drive her to the mental hospital under the false pretense of PTSD? And did she really go willing to appease her mom? I thought the whole mental hospital thing was random and confusing. It also made me think less of Pagan.

Dank was a mysterious character. I still have many questions about him, and I am hoping that I will have some of them answered in the next novel. What superpowers does Dank have? How can he go from spirit to human? How can he wipe people minds? I think Glines may have left some questions unanswered for the sequel. However, some things needed to be explained in this novel in order for them to make sense. Some scenes were random and puzzling because they weren't explained.

If you read my reviews then you know that my biggest pet peeve is conflict based on miscommunication or lack of communication. This novel falls into the latter category. Why didn't Pagan try harder to get answers? Why couldn't Dank tell her anything? Agh.

The main reason that I will continue this series was because of the conclusion. I didn't really root for the characters in the beginning of the novel, but I was running along with Pagan and rooting for her happily ever after by the conclusion. Everything came alive at the end of this novel. It was clear and easy to visualize.

I gave Existence by Abbi Glines 3 STARS (2.5 STARS). This was a good paranormal romance novel. I am going to read the next novel in the series because I am curious to see how the series continues and because I really enjoyed the conclusion and Gee's character.

-XOXO

Reading, Eating & Dreaming

FOR MORE REVIEWS CHECK OUT MY BLOG ON BLOGSPOT: READING, EATING & DREAMING I WAS BLAIR WALDORF
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 28, 2011
I debated giving this 5 stars but I couldn't just yet... The ending.... what the heck was that crap?! Seriously?! I really hate when books end that way and yet again I have to wait for a sequel. So the book lost a half star for that. Then the other thing that bothered me was the name Dank. Really?? Dank?! I kept thinking of a wet basement, not a hot guy!! Hated the name, though I loved the character.

Aside from the ending, I really liked Existence. I liked Pagan and thought she added a lot to the story. It will be interesting to find out why she could always see the souls. That aspect was never explained and even a vague explanation would've been preferable to none. Leif was an okay character. At the very beginning to the story we got a tiny glimpse into who he was with the whole adoption story, but that was all we got. Once Pagan agreed to date him there was nothing more to him and he got all lovey and mushy all the time. Really bored me to be honest!! I am definitely looking forward to finding out more about Leif and who he really is in the next book! I usually hate love triangles but in this case it didn't bother me because I never felt like Leif and Pagan really had anything. It always felt fake and forced to me, so I was thankful there wasn't any serious tug of wars between the two guys. Dank was great as well... of course he did the hot/cold thing that all YA leading males do, BUT I still liked him, just hated the name! Why Dank?! Why???

Anyhow, good book, fun story and I'll definitely read the next!!
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 5, 2012
And I enjoyed Twilight. I found the heroine to be incredibly annoying. She was dishonest in most of her relationships and suffered from a severe lack of curiosity about her situation. She didn't attempt to figure out *what the hell was going on* until after the disappearance and by then I was so disgusted with her I really didn't care what was going on either. I wasn't convinced that she could be that upset about a relationship that didn't exist with a guy she didn't actually know. He hung around her house and played guitar while she was trying to sleep -- how annoying is that? -- and mostly ignored the heroine at school when he wasn't creepily talking in her head.

Unlike many other kindle books, the writing style was fine. There wasn't anything about the flow or word usage that bothered me. It was just the story that was painfully terrible.
on June 10, 2012
I really liked this. It was different and warmed my heart. I couldnt wait for the next book. I want to read more about the love between these two characters.
on June 10, 2012
Who thought Death could be SO breath taking?! Pagan Moore who falls in love with him & he's about to break all the rules for her! As an artist I'm honored to say that; Abbi Glines is one of the few authors makes me wanna sit in my room & draw all day & just be in my fantasy world! I highly recommend Existence as a must read!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Seeing how this is my first paranormal romance book, I'm completly hooked! The sex appeal and myseriousness of Danke had me jumping from page to page.
on July 17, 2012
i consider myself an avid reader; i've gone through my fair share of books, both good and bad. i read twilight and i actually really enjoyed it, despite the many flaws the public has since pointed out. so let me give you a piece of my mind before you buy this:

"existence" is the worst book i have ever read.

let's start with the technical details - you can't debate grammar, it's either correct or incorrect. and in existence, abbi glines flaunts her talent for completely mangling the english language. there are blatant grammar mistakes all throughout the books (glaring punctuation errors are the worst, but there are also sentences that just don't quite make sense, double-typed words, incorrect tense pairings, etc), which i noticed as early as the 2nd or 3rd page. this is certainly in part due to an appart lack of an editor, so i have to give her some leeway here. the book was obviously published raw; i'm assuming that the publishers realized the book wouldn't make enough money to merit a thorough editing job. this is unfortunate, because a good clean-up (both grammatically and plot-wise) might have made this book at least twilight-status enjoyable. still, you'd think that a person trying to make a living off of writing books would first start by learning the language she's writing them in. honestly. on a similar vein, the syntactical structure of this book is also disgustingly bad. not even gonna attempt to explain why, just believe me. i've never seen a published book that is so terribly written, and frankly it offends me that it is even out here when so many talented writers are still struggling to even get noticed by publishers.

i can't actually get too in-depth with the plot, because i stopped reading about 1/3 of the way through. just fyi, i HATE not finishing books once i start them; it's just a huge pet peeve of mine... and yet... just ugh. i was hopeful for a while that despite its flaws, existence might just get better. but the story dragged, the characters were bland and 1-dimensional, and in all glines made very little effort to communicate any sort of plot beyond "look how hot these boys are, omg angst." plus pagan sucks. if she was a real person i would punch her in the face. i ended up skimming through the chapters just so i could finish the book and thus not have that guilty feeling of leaving something half-finished, but unfortunately i just don't have enough masochism in me.

also... "dank"? really? REALLY?

to give glines some credit, i can see this book being popular with the less-than-precocious middle-school-girl crowd. it's got romance (albeit bland, spark-lacking, and immoral {think: cheating} romance), hot & hotly arrogant boys (which is pretty much the only description we're given of either of the leading males), and angsty teen drama. i'm 20, and only tried out this book because the plot intrigued me and the reviews on amazon were really positive, so clearly i'm not the intended audience. but the label of "YA" does not mean "awful writing and piss-poor characters," so i shouldn't have had quite such a negative reaction to it. i can only imagine what else the people giving positive reviews are reading if they dub this so fantastic.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 31, 2013
This book was an extreme disappointment. When I read the first part of it here on Amazon, it sounded really good, and I dismissed all the bad reviews I had read. First mistake. Second mistake was not looking to see how many pages it was. I could not believe how SHORT it was! It doesn't even reach 200 pages! My 10 year old brother could have easily read this.
Well, I decided to just keep reading it, and as I was reading it, the dialogue just got worse and worse, and the main character was just so weird and angsty, it's a wonder how she even got Leif in the first place, let alone, KEPT him throughout the story. I would have dumped her flighty little butt within the 3rd chapter. Oh, and don't even get me started on "Dirk". What kind of a name is that? Clearly, she had no imagination whatsoever. His character was so poor, and the whole "mysterious persona" she tried to give him failed miserably. I started skipping to the end, because it was slow moving, and the part where she was at the mental hospital was just a waste of the novel (If you even want to call it a novel). Nothing happened except that she met that transporter girl, and that part wasn't even important until the last chapter. I can't even remember her name, which is saying something. All her characters lacked the necessary elements to make the book have depth. I think the Abbi needs to find another job, because her writing was one of the worst I have ever read.