Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 28, 1999
I bought this book when my wound from being dumped was still very fresh and bleeding. If you've had quite a few boyfriends and this break-up hasn't put you in shock, then you will find this clever book humorous and helpful. If you've been painfully dumped or lost the man of your dreams, I'd read another book for right now. I'm so glad women write inspiring books for other women. I wish all women who are in relationship problems and break-ups plenty of sunshine.
on November 14, 2004
"By now you're wondering what makes me such an expert. Well, let's just say that if this book were called HOW TO MAKE YOUR RELATIONSHIPS LAST, it would have to be plagiarized; the average magazine subscription lasts twice as long as most of my relationships. Getting over guys - *that's* where I'm experienced. I've dated them all...Many of my ex-boyfriends, in fact, could star in my private version of SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS, with the dwarfs being Dopey, Jerky, Crappy, Sleazy, Sneaky, Woeful, and Cheap."
- from the introduction

If you're looking for a book to help you with a detailed procedure for heavyweight matters, such as negotiating child custody, dealing with ex-in-laws and mutual friends, selling a jointly-owned house when you're not speaking, or dealing with general financial tangles - this book isn't for that. (See above; the author hasn't had those kinds of relationships. She did collect lots of juicy stories from others to add to her own, though.)

*This* author addresses a lot of little things instead, such as:
- Movies, music, and books to seek out to feel better (and others to avoid like the plague)
- Tricks to keep from making a fool of yourself in front of the ex
- Self-help books (Not unless you want to waste a lot of time being convinced that you're codependent/depressive/psychotic/etc.)
- Dealing with stuff (expensive gifts, loaned items, etc.) (As the author points out, it took her a lot longer to get over the loss of her air conditioner than it did to get over the Ex who refused to give it back.)
- Dealing with stuff that reminds you of the Ex (letters, photographs, souvenirs)
- "Why can't we be friends?" (Lots of reasons, since you ask. One game you can play after reading this section: classifying Exs who tried this tactic as Egotist/Emotional Cripple/Martyr/Saint/Wimp, or combinations of same)
- rebound dates (who'll make you appreciate staying home with grandma)
- when they come crawling back into your life, just when you're finally over them

I think it's a lot easier for many people to get angry about all the little things than about the stuff that *really* hurt (I think the pop psych term for that is "displacement activity"), so a lot of time and energy can get wasted on nonsense. How many people's buttons can be pushed *instantly* to tell the tale of how the Ex walked off with their favourite DVDs (fill in the blank here) whenever they see a copy of some particular movie? (And I'm thinking of one of my *male* acquaintances here. While the book is written for a female audience coping with lousy ex-boyfriends, some ex qualities appear to transcend gender.)

If you've just gone through a breakup, you could probably use a good laugh. This is good for that. For one thing, you (I hope) can feel relieved that at least *your* ex didn't pull some of the stuff the real bozos mentioned in this book did:
- cleaning out your checking account (you'd miss your credit rating more than you'd miss him)
- standing you up on Valentine's Day without even a card
- two words: cubic zirconia

She's even got some real exorcism rituals to take your mind off things, and some fair-to-middling advice on pulling yourself together - but if that's not your thing, you can always go for her Yoo-Hoo diet plan instead.
on September 9, 1999
I think every woman on the face of this earth should get this book. I am lucky to have found it a few weeks after a devestating break-up. 'Exorcising Your Ex' keeps you in good spirits as you read that there are women out there who are feeling exactly what you are feeling. You're NOT alone. This isn't a male-bashing book, but more of a self esteem boosting book for women. I enjoyed every second of reading it, and I know I'm going to read it a few more times.
on February 28, 2001
I have just had one of the strangest most "un-closed" relationship breakups in my life. There was no closure and it was all a "Maybe in the future" thing. We all know that you can't sit and wait - that's just not healthy.
So i had to sit and think instead. This book kinda jumped out at me at my local waldenbooks (I never book browse, I kinda just read stuff by the same author, so this is different for me).
I read the book in a matter of 3 days and I feel like it was written with my situation (as abnormal as it is) in mind. The parts of the book describing the several emotions and outlooks and the breakdown of the stages of a breakup hit it all on the nose. Elizabeth Kuster has an AMAZING flair for writing and the fact that she takes a humorous approach to a very upsetting life inevitability shows her brave and revolutionary outlook on a woman's heart.
And the part about searching through the horoscopes and tarot and all that to figure out the future during a certain stage in a breakup? She could never be more correct than that.
Needless to say, this book has pretty much helped me in the fight to get over my ex (it's been a month and i'm doing better!)
Four thousand cheers to Ms. Kuster - an extraordinary writer!
on July 3, 1999
This book had me laughing out loud - I read it while on the treadmill at the gym, and I'm sure people thought I was nuts. Kuster just has such a dry, blunt and accurate picture of the life a woman recovering from yet another ended relationship. The scary thing is that you can identify with a LOT of the scenarios and types of people (men) she discusses. I recommend this book for any woman who has EVER had a relationship end (IE, all women)!
on April 12, 2006
Hi, I have never written any reviews and don't plan on making a habit of it, but I know what it is to be truly heartbroken. I want to help you in any way I can because I know what you are going through. I have read every book on the subject that is out there, believe me. If you are really hurting, this book is not for you. It does not give you practical advice to help you get through the hurt. It's goal is to make you laugh and even at that, when you are hurting so badly, that is hard to do. I recommend two books for you: "You Didn't Complete Me" and "It's Called a Break-up because it's Broken." These were much more helpful to me.
on September 15, 2002
I started the morning off crying because I saw something that reminded me of my ex. After reading this book, my mood was much lighter and hopeful. However, I do think you should consider accompanying this book with a serious break up book if you are truly seeking a way to get over a relationship.
on January 22, 2003
I read this book over and over..every single time I go through a breakup and I can't tell you how much it helps!! I moped around for weeks and found this book. And I learned how to laugh (once again) on my own. Time heals all wounds, but you might as well be laughing while healing right??
on June 27, 2000
The whole book is high-lighted and underlined!
I am in the midst of a very difficult break-up and I felt Ms. Kuster was writing just for me. Her practical and funny advice, as well as shared testimonials from other women, tells the truth about relationships and their fall-out.
I would highly recommend it for anyone who needs to laugh as well as gain some real perspective on a break-up. Even if you are between relationships, or in one, I'm sure you could relate and commiserate with this excellent book!
on September 28, 2000
Breaking up is never much fun. But this book makes some parts of it FUNNY! You'll read parts of it and say, 'oh, I did that' or whoops, better not do that. A great way to get through some tough times and look back and be thankful you're through others. Fantastic, Fun, a superb read!