5.0 out of 5 stars First Month: Buy this book
It took me too long to finish this book ... because my wife kept stealing it since it was a lot more fun than any of her pregnancy books! However, I just finished this easy read, and I couldn't help but recommend this to fathers-to-be.
Published on October 1, 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars make sure you know what you want from the book
Published on July 27, 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars First Month: Buy this book, October 1, 2002
By A Customer
Let's be clear: this isn't an instruction manual or anything to take too seriously. It is a very fun, month-by-month account of pregnancy.
For the people who gave it low ratings, maybe you were looking for too much out of it ... this book isn't going to stop your wife's morning sickness and it isn't going to teach you the secret to triple your income before the baby is born. However, it might lighten what can be a time of emotional highs and lows, filled with fear, ecstasy, anxiety and elation, often all at the same time.
Seriously, there are plenty of good books out there which give great suggestions for how to handle the upcoming changes in your lives. Check out "The Expectant Father" or books of that ilk ... but to loosen up a little bit and have fun while getting involved in the pregnancy, get this book. Just don't read any of it to your wife until you've finished it, or you won't see it until she's finished reading it herself.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very, very funny book, February 18, 1999
John Rosevear (Massachusetts USA) - See all my reviews
Brilliantly done comic relief for the overstressed expectant father who is a little burned out on pregnancy info. Each month of pregnancy has its own chapter, and each chapter begins with "what she'll be complaining about this month". The book probably doesn't have tons of useful info, and shouldn't be approached that way, but it is very funny and does serve to get you into the right mindset. If you're a newly-pregnant woman, and your partner is resisting the harder reading, start him off with this one. THEN give him the hard stuff...

2.0 out of 5 stars make sure you know what you want from the book, July 27, 2002
By A Customer
I gave this book 2 stars because, although it was not for me, I am willing to accpet some people may like it. I am excited, scared and very curious about my wife's pregnancy. I have never seen her look prettier and happier. I bought the book thinking it might give me the "inside story" to the secrets and mysteries of the mother of my child. I wanted to know what I could do to make these 9 months the best experience for her. What I got was a --humorous?-- vision of the torture it is for a man to have a pregnant wife. It was no help at all; it was offensive and embarassing.
My wife, however, thought it was funny. She has an amazing sense of humor, I guess. She gave it to our neighbors, who are also expecting their first child, and they loved it. Like they love Dave Barry and The Far Side books.
I guess what I'm saying is: if you want to laugh like you would watching Seinfeld, then sure. This is it. If you want to understand your wife better, or find out how to make her life easier during the time she carries and nurtures your child, then look somewhere else.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Funny Parody, April 19, 2004
By A Customer
This book had my husband and me laughing hysterically. While it does contain some useful tips and some factual information on the stages of pregnancy, it's more of a mood-lifter. It teaches many funny lessons on what to say, and what NOT to say to your pregnant wife, how to learn to maneuver her through a crowded restaurant (practice with an upright mattress), and the basic food groups of the pregnant woman. This is not a serious book, but it certainly helped us to lighten up an emotionally challenging period of our pregnancy. The previous reviewers who didn't like this book are taking themselves WAY too seriously! I highly recommend it for good laughs together.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, January 31, 2000
By A Customer
Unlike most of these attempts at humor and parody, this book is actually very funny. It's a good parody of What to Expect When You're Expecting, but you'll also find it funny even if you haven't read that book. My wife laughed a lot when she read it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lighten up folks, it's a PARODY, January 2, 2003
By A Customer
To all of you disappointed at the lack of pertinent information in this book, didn't you read the description before you bought it? Didn't you see the red banner on the corner that says "A PARODY"? C'mon people, this is not an informational book, it's a joke. It's meant to be a joke. It's not supposed to make your husband care more or give him any useable knowledge about pregnancy, it's supposed to make him laugh.
I bought this for my future brother-in-law when we found out my sister was pregnant.....he loves it, and so does she! I think it's a fantastic book, for those with a sense of humor.

2.0 out of 5 stars This book scared my husband, March 30, 2000
If your husband is even the slightest bit jumpy, and worries about all of the bad things related to pregnancy (money, etc.), then by all means, keep this book away from him. After reading the first two or three pages, I noticed my husband become paler and paler. I thought the book was perfectly fine, and kinda funny, but I guess this is proof that this is not the book for every husband.

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny, but not informative, February 22, 2005
If you are just looking for a book that will make you laugh, this is a good on, but if you want one that actually has some good information about pregnancy, try another one. It hs a lot of sarcastic humor , that yes made me laugh, but I also wanted some real tips for my husband.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bitter much???, August 6, 2012
This review is from: What to Expect When Your Wife Is Expanding: A Reassuring Month-by-Month Guide for the Father-to-Be, Whether He Wants Advice or Not (Paperback)
Bought this for my husband because this is his first baby and I thought it would help him through...he was very put off on how men came across in this book. It was bitter and rude. And he didn't like how non-involved and uncaring it made men seem. He stopped reading it and it went to the garage sale pile. LOL I can see the humor in it more than he can, but it is definitly not a teaching/helpful book. It depicts women as crazy and self-centered. Women may be crazy when pregnant, self-centered?...anything but. We are making a person! Its a lot of work.

1.0 out of 5 stars This Book is Not Funny, January 7, 2006
This book was purchased for me as a gift from my wife. I did not find this book to be even slightly amusing. The subjects that are covered in this book that are supposed to be humorous were in fact insulting to my intelligence. I believe that it is a serious problem if males make fun of their wives/girlfriends when pregnant.

Instead of using real humor this book uses stereotypes and the notion that all males hate their significant others. This book relies on the typical misogyny that males in our society find amusing. We should be encouraging and supporting our significant others rather than mocking them. From a medical prospective I do not think males should mock or discourage healthy weight gain in pregnant females. Also, I no not agree with mocking, making fun of, or parodying other healthy symptoms of pregantcy.

Rate and Discover Movies