Customer Discussions > Wrecking Ball (Special Edition) forum

Expectations for We Take Care of Our Own?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 19, 2012 1:09:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 19, 2012 1:10:34 PM PST
I have a feeling this album is going to be pretty good and a lot better than Working on a Dream, which was a mediocre, and that despite the announcement that this album was going to be an "angry", or experimental album, the finished product is going to be rather close to what he's been doing since the turn of the century. Bruce has been making records now for 40 years, and how experimental can you get with a producer who's best known for working with Candlebox and Jars of Clay?

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 1:01:54 PM PST
John Crotty says:
Just based on the one song We Take Care of Our Own, Wrecking Ball seems like it may be a lot like Born In The USA.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2012 11:21:06 AM PST
OMYBRUCE says:
I certainly hope Wrecking Ball is NOT anything like Born in the USA....which is a die hard fans nightmare. It should boarder more on his Seeger Sessions album, where he re-worked his old songs with a new twist. Not many older artists can do that nor even try, but Bruce does.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2012 1:05:16 PM PST
jgcole says:
BitUSA is not a real fan's nightmare. Not even close. And not one song on the Seeger Sessions album is a Springsteen original. They are folk songs he has reworked, not his. You have no idea what you are saying. I'm a huge fan, for a long, long time, and would be more than happy to get an album like BitUSA, though I'd prefer another Darkness or BtR. Just be quiet and buy the album. Stop spouting junk tha means nothing.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2012 5:33:03 PM PST
John Crotty says:
jgcole: agree with you completely. Can't say I'm a rabid fan (seen Bruce once in concert...buy all the albums) so I withheld opinion that he should put out another Seeger Seesions. How about a bit USA, bit Darkness, bit BTR? Either way I'm sure it'll be one of the top albums of 2012!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 2:11:39 PM PST
OMYBRUCE says:
No, but on the Seeger Sessions TOUR he re-worked Open All Night, Ramrod and Cadillac Ranch, forgive me if I said Album instead of Tour. I prefer Darkness, first and foremost and BITUSA last. I'll take Devils and Dust over BITUSA.

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 4:40:58 PM PST
Mr. A says:
BITUSA is a great, great album. I know it's popular to bash it because of it's commercial success but it's a solid record. With the exception of "Cover Me" there isn't a weak song on the record IMO. I'll take BITUSA over everything but BTR, Darkness, WIESS & The Rising.

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 7:53:03 AM PST
Kevin O'Neil says:
I thought at the time, and still do, that Born in the USA's popularity was a due in part to a growing loyal fan base after "Darkness" and "The River". It was almost as if a critical mass had been built, and that pushed Bruce into the mainstream along with MTV and stadium concerts. BitUSA had a somewhat updated keyboard sound plus a handful of danceable songs to attract new 1980's fans. Next to Thriller, BitUSA was the album most milked for singles I can remember.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 11:33:10 AM PST
Mr. A says:
Def Leppard's "Hysteria" was milked dry too. There were a few others in the 80s as well. With the birth of MTV some albums just kept cranking out the singles/videos.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 11:11:45 AM PST
Freethinker says:
I certainly hope that the other tracks are better than "We Take Care of Our Own". Boring, repetitious, lyrically-shallow...after Working & Magic, it seems that the muse has left the Brooze. Note to the Boss: It's "cavalry", NOT "Calvary". Was a major fan from 70's on (even loved the quiet albums such as Tom Joad and the Lucky Town dual release with the other album)...but looks like Bruce's best days are long past.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 1:15:57 PM PST
Mr. A says:
"Magic" is a great album! WOAD is pretty bad.

And, FYI, the typo in the lyrics has been fixed.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 2:13:10 AM PST
Freethinker says:
You mean they fixed the vocals in which he mispronounces "cavalry"? Who cares what the lyric sheet says (rockers have never been known for their superior spelling ability)...it's what is actually recorded that matters. And this makes Bruce look like a dumb***.

Which could be forgiven if the song wasn't just seven notes repeated endlessly over such shallow lyrics. Ahh, for the ground-breaking "Nebraska" days.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 2:51:54 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 13, 2012 2:52:09 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 6:47:21 AM PST
Based off the first single? Not high. It sounds really bland. I didn't dislike WOAD as much as others because at least it had some interesting moments despite the fumbles. Maybe this one will surprise me, too.

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 1:33:32 PM PST
John Crotty says:
You have to take into consideration that Bruce is now in his 60s & the likelyhoood of him turning out another BTR or The River are almost nonexistant. The highway is littered with those who're no longer at their creative peak (Mellencamp/Petty/McCartney/Dylan to name a few). If you're looking for another BTR why not just break out the old album and listen to it over & over again wishing that Bruce would just go back to his good ol' days? Once again I state: I'll take Bruce in 2012 over just about all out there (Foo Fighters/Van Halen /Lady Gaga (barf))! BTW, if you want to listen to an older artist with a new album in 2012 check out: Tank Full Of Blues

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 8:11:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2012 8:12:34 AM PST
Mr. A says:
A) The latest Foo Fighters album kicks ass!

B) Since 1997's "Time Out Of Mind" Dylan has had his the strongest creative output since 1975. He's released four excellent albums, a great collection of outtakes and a bunch of tremendous bootleg series recordings.

C) Bruce has released two of his top 5-6 albums in the past ten years ("The Rising" & "Magic") Both of which I'd take over "The River"

Expectations can be rough. However, when dealing with Bruce, more often than not they are met.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 11:12:13 AM PST
R. Fenick says:
I am a die hard fan

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 8:40:45 PM PST
I agree. Magic is a great album that can be listened to without using the skip button. Working on a Dream was a mess. The best songs on that sound like Magic outtakes. Seriously, when was the last time you listened to the River all the way through? When was the last time anyone listened to The Ghost of Tom Joad at all?

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 11:34:36 AM PST
Tazzie says:
First, I am also a longtime Bruce fan (started listening in 1976, when I was 14). However, I do not want another Darkness, BTR, BITUSA, or any other existing album. He has already created these albums. Instead, I prefer Bruce to create new music instead of relying on the past. I think of artists that live in the past (can we say Bat Out of Hell II). More often than not, bands and artists that don't grow will become stale and boring.

In listening to the streams of the first three songs on the album, so far, this album is different from any that he has put out so far, while still maintaining the high quality that I expect from Bruce.

To answer a few comments from other posters here, John Crotty, based on the other three tracks that I've heard so far, this album has very little in common with BITUSA. Freethinker, it wasn't a misspelling or mispronuciation. From everything that I've read, this album is dealing with both the economic struggles that we are facing and the search for spirituality that mankind is looking for. Knowing that, I think that the use of Calvary was intentional and meant to carry a deeper meaning. And Joseph, the reason that many of the tracks on WOAD sounded like outtakes is that they were. Brendan O'Riordan (the producer) convinced Bruce that there was enough material from the Magic session to create a second album. What I will say for WOAD is like the few other lesser albums Bruce has put out, overall inconsistant, but with some very redeeming tracks. BTW, I listened to Tom Joad last week. It also has several great tracks (Youngstown, Dry Lightning, The New Timer, Across the Border, and the title track).

For links, go to brucespringsteen.net

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 12:14:19 PM PST
MrG says:
"Seriously, when was the last time you listened to the River all the way through?"

Last week, actually. 'The River' is probably my favorite Springsteen album. Just sayin'...

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 6:31:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2012 6:36:38 AM PST
Autonomeus says:
This new one may be the first Bruce album I pick up since Human Touch, which I think is a very underrated album. (Well, actually I did buy Tom Joad, but I didn't keep it.)

I agree with those who have said that Born In the USA is a great album. Sometimes mass popularity is not an indication of the lowest-common-denominator. How many recall that Springsteen originally wanted to put out the songs in acoustic form, like Nebraska, but was talked out of it by Landau, who also pushed for a single, which resulted in the last minute addition of "Dancin' in the Dark"?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 7:34:15 AM PST
ripley says:
The producer was Brendan O'Brien.

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 7:42:14 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
I think Dream is a better album than Magic. Outlaw Pete is on of my favorite songs. I enjoyed Magic but thought the middle had some weak spots...I would not mind seeing another session like Nebraska and Ghost and Devil's. His acoustic concert tour is still one of the best; the way he is able to make all his songs sound new. Too bad he is skipping the PNW again on this tour....He did so on the last but luckily I saw him back in 09.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 3:16:16 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 26, 2012 3:16:38 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 3:18:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2012 3:21:07 PM PST
Tazzie says:
Ripley, you're right. I'm not sure where "O'Riordan" came from.

Dukeshire, as of now he is also not coming to PHX. However, Steve Van Zandt is on record saying that they are going to be on tour through February or March 2014, so since the last listed date is end of July, I'm betting for a west coast swing on the second leg of the tour, probably October or November.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  23
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Jan 19, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Wrecking Ball (Special Edition)
Wrecking Ball (Special Edition) by Bruce Springsteen (Audio CD - 2012)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (356)