Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

80%
20%

on March 3, 2013
I have had this out on a few backpacking trips.The first 2 were warmer trips (by warmer I mean 35-40 degrees. ) but i wanted to wait to review this until I had some more time with the pad especially in colder weather. I can tell you that in combination with a 0 - 35 degree sleeping bag - 35 degrees was unbearably hot & I had to unzip my bag - which was great. I wanted a pad that would be good in colder weather.

I just got back from a camping trip that was in the low twenties. I am astounded. I was so comfortable on this thing, and it was so warm, that when I woke up I had to figure out where the heck I was because I thought I was sleeping in my bed until I opened my eyes. The pad itself is not really as comfy as a bed in all honesty but I got a sound enough sleep and was warm enough upon waking that I really did think I was at home. I had even been sweating a little. I know if it would have dropped another 10 degrees I would have still been comfortable.

The only con I have to this thing at all is really a flaw with myself - that is when I pump the thing up my wrist starts cramping. I work all week in a lab and at a desk though and it takes a toll on my wrists. I'm impatient so I don't want to wait for it to "self inflate" (which it actually does do to an extent - maybe like 30% of the capacity but it saves you some pumping).

Pros:
Extremely lightweight
Easy easy easy to roll up. 100x's easier than rolling up your sleeping bag.
integrated pump
Warm

Another thing to note is that the pad isn't instantaneously warm. I hate to have to point that out but some people are ignorant. When I say I was toasty, i mean after about a half hour of laying there in a mummy bag with the hood up. Nevertheless I have been in that same mummybag with the hood up before in the teens and twenties and been so cold I had a hard time sleeping. Bottom line...I LOVE this pad.
on November 28, 2011
The down mat allowed me & husband to have the best campsite, a private beach of granite slabs overlooking Lake Superior. We camped in mid-October and we prepared for 20 degree weather. This kept the cold from penetrating through. I read 4 star review of the Exped 9 that where the owner used it on a cot to go "backpacking". Is there any irony there? Most would rate this a 5 for portability, comfort and warmth. It is not a true lightweight option, but if you carry everything on your back and you have to get a good rest for the next day of hiking, you will love the sound sleep and comfort this offers.
review image review image
on June 28, 2011
Exped Downmat 7 Great product, we have used them every night for 3 month now.
Easy to pump up and deflate and comfortable - We have even slept on cold concrete floors with no problems. Best mat I have had so far in 40 years camping
on September 6, 2014
The first time I pulled out an Exped Downmat was on a winter ascent of Mount Baker. I had a thin 30 degree down sleeping bag and was expecting an utterly miserable night. Instead I was floating in a warm cozy cloud and promptly fell asleep until the alarm on my phone woke me. I had entered a new era, and wherever I left a mattress behind, the compact stout little Downmat will be coming with me. If you've tried an old inflatable mattress, leave your prejudices. The down filled mattress is a different breed. It's warm like a sleeping bag is warm. The buoyancy of 4-5 inches of air eliminates pressure points and supports the contours of your body in any position. No longer do you need to hang a big Ridgerest off your pack. Try it. You will be in love.
on February 16, 2013
For hiking its a bit heavy but if you don't mind the extra weight it's great. I'm a reasonably big guy and the extra wide size is great , no more trying to sleep with half my body on the ground. I have a two man tent I use solo so I have plenty of room but if your sharing you may want to check you have the room. What can I say I sleep better and my legs will get stronger.
on July 4, 2011
Fantastic camping mat -extremely comfortable and warm - far more so than thermorest.
Had the original version - possibly not quite as durable as i'd like but it survived 5 years of frequent use and abuse
A little finicky to blow up but well worth the effort.
on September 6, 2013
I'm always trying to shave ounces, and so initially tried the Downmat UL LW model. I was going to be using this in a range of temperatures, all the way down to the singles (digits F). The UL model lasted all of two nights before one of the central baffles came completely unglued, resulting in a masive tube running right down the middle of my pad - like trying to spoon a lodgepole pine all night.

Anyway, on to this one. The Downmat 7 definitely weighs more - especially including the integrated pump - but the durability and performance so far have been worth it for me. The pump takes a little while but it's nice not having to worry about an extra piece. I got the Big Daddy (LW) pad so it probably takes me 70-80 pumps if I had to guess, to get this aired up.

Another great option - if you don't like pumping - is to get yourself a non-pump version and use the optional Exped schnozzle pump bag. OR - get the non-pump version and pair it with a camp-tek Microsburst inflator that weights only 2.3 oz.
on August 15, 2012
Likes: This product is small and light compared to other mats. The mat is comfortable and of high quality. Comes with patch kit. When the Mat is rolled up it fits well in a backpacker's pack. The Insulation between the ground and you is great and this mat will keep you warm.

Dislikes: We did not like that we had to pump it for so long to fill it up with air. You have to get a good rythem going. After a 20 mile hike in 118 Degrees the last thing you want to do after setting up a tent is pump your air mat for 2 minutes. It seems like forever. We ended up pumping only one up and not even bothering with the other. We are now in the market for a self inflating mat or maybe, pay the extra money and get the exped downmat UL so 2 breaths and your done with there schnozzle bag.

This was an Excellent mat except for the pump to us, so if you dont think you will mind the pump go for it or see below.

UPDATE: We bought the Exped Downmat UL - Same great quality but no pumping, there schnozzle bag is amazing.
on June 24, 2013
I LOVE this air mat! I am not very into camping, but my husband thinks camping, backpacking, other outdoor activities are the best thing since sliced bread, and this mat makes my torture that much less. I like being comfortable and this mat does that for me even though I like to sleep on my side. It also packs down very small in the cinch sack and is moderately light if you want to take it backpacking.
on December 7, 2012
Used on a 12 day back country archery elk hunt. Hunting buddy had to keep hand warmers in his pants pockets while he slept, I slept great, even got too warm a couple of nights!

See 1 answered question