5.0 out of 5 stars Durable, Sleek, Great Battery Life.
Published on August 26, 2007 by AmazonShopper

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Expedition
I have had three Expedition watches previously and was quite pleased with all of them (except perhaps the short lives of the leather or rubberesque bands). Not so with this one. I do like the small and light format and the ease for adjusting time and other functions.

Published on July 23, 2012 by Escéptico

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable, Sleek, Great Battery Life., August 26, 2007
I have had this watch for 4+ years and it died today. It appears that water leaked into the housing and corroded the terminals that provide data to the LCD screen...thus making it so a 3 and a 9 look the same. However, I am confident that this was an old age problem and not a Timex problem. FYI the waterproof is only supposed to last a few years at most on all watches.

1) Durable- It endured a ton of scuffs and scratches on the plastic front and did not hinder the viewing of digits. While taking this watch apart to diagnose it, its guts are VERY solidly put together...even the battery took a few minutes to get out. The buttons never started "sticking" like most other (cheap) watches do after old age.
2) Sleek- Numbers are large and easy to read. No watch should be without a date and day-of-the week display and this one is no exception. The face is MEDIUM sized...great for people like me with smaller wrists (man) or people who don't want to create an eye-sore on their wrist. The face is covered with a silvery tan paint that eventually flaked off, but the plastic underneath it was also tan colored. That made it so it looked the same even after the paint came off. The buttons are wide and easy to push.
3)Great battery life- The quoted duration of the battery is only 3.2 years, according to [...]. I have not had to change the battery yet after 4+ years.
4)Band - The only partially bad thing I can say about it is that the band is Velcro. Velcro loses it's "grip" after being taken on-and-off 400 times. Thus you will have to replace the strap every year or so for about 5-10 dollars if you want that firm grip again. I still think the band is the best I ever used because it is easy on/off and doesn't snap like metal, tear like leather, or lose springs like those latchless metal ones. Completely worth the cost of replacement.

I am definitely planning on buying another one of this watch. Absolutely love it. The fact that it is only $28 and free shipping is even better.

EDIT: I did purchase another one of these a little under 2 years ago...same story...face is scuffed up but display still easily readable. Paint is just now starting to peel. I'm also adding info about changing the strap since someone asked about it in the comments.

The bands are sold at Kohl's (department store) and I think I saw them at walmart. If you can't find them at walmart or don't have a kohl's, just try various watch stores and jewelery counters- look for them on spinning carousels on the counters. The strap is held in to the body by 2 silver spring-loaded bars on the back. I take a very small flat head and push the spring half in and working it out until the spring comes free (careful because the spring bar will shoot out- replacement band comes with 2 new spring bars so don't worry if you lose them). Repeat for the other spring bar. When looking for the replacement band, be sure to take the old one with you. Some bands have a slightly thicker "stretchy" part than others and this can make it a pain to change out (it's possible though). I think the one I get is labeled as "6-8 mm" but I'm not positive. Thinking about it, 6-8 is the one the "petite" version of this watch comes with (smaller face- what I wear)..8-10 mm might be what comes on the regular version. You then install the replacement in the reverse order as removal...hold the stretchy part in the slot then put the spring bar over it and make sure its ends gets in the holes.

PS: The replacement band also comes with picture instructions but we all know given instructions usually aren't very user friendly.

Cost of replacement band: 7[...]. Total time to change out band: < 5 minutes.

EDIT: 3 years after original review.

RE: Can I change the battery?
Of course you can change the battery. There's 4 tiny Phillips screws on the back and the back (stainless steel) will come off once they are removed. You might need a small flathead driver to pry the backing off since it is meant to be watertight. It can take a bit of fanaggling (as I mentioned in the review the guts are put together really well) but the battery is replaceable.

PS - Once you change the battery I'm pretty sure you can not put the watch underwater anymore. I know you can get waterproofing redone professionally (watch repair shop) though. I'm really paranoid about "waterproof" watches so I never took mine swimming or showering at all. It would occasionally get splashed on while I was washing my hands but that was it.

And in case anyone is wondering...I'm still wearing the same watch (second one) with the original battery- 3 years old now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Expedition, July 23, 2012

The main complaint is the low-contrast face, which makes it comparatively harder to read than the other Expeditions I have had. That, and I should have been smart enough to guess what an exposed-Velcro watch band would do. It is a crud-magnet. A wee piece of rubbish floating by 10 metres away will suddenly change course and attach itself to this Velcro. Sheep dag, small insects, pieces of plants, old hymnals, volcanic ash, asteroid residue .... you name it, it will become as attached to this watch as a hooker to a southern Democrat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, but the band is a little small., May 23, 2008
Overall I am satisfied with this watch. I bought it to replace a Timex Iron Man watch I have had for the last sixteen years. The watch is very readable even at steep angles. All of the controls are intuitive and conveniently placed. Buyers should know that the watch band may feel a bit tight on larger wrists, however. I am 6'7" and about 285. About the last inch of the band is a thick rubbery material and so cannot be adjusted down all the way to the end. I would recommend this to all but those with the largest wrists.

3.0 out of 5 stars On my fourth one, nice features but not waterproof, April 28, 2011
I have had four of these watches. The display is great, visible through polarized glasses and the illumination is good at night also. The band is comfy and doesn't dig into you, though the cloth weave can take on a funk. User interface is easy.
These watches always die on me after about a year- water gets in somehow. I live on and in the water and bang the watch up pretty fierce though, so I just keep buying new ones cause they're the best featured watch otherwise...

4.0 out of 5 stars Functional, February 8, 2010
It's inexpensive, durable, and I like the continuously adjustable and easily cleanable fabric wristband. It's not elegant, but it will serve you well anywhere you don't wear a tie.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, July 17, 2013
3 alarms
stopwatch
chronograph countdown timer, lap
back light

I've purchased this watch many times in a row and have been very satisfied. Good price too.

4.0 out of 5 stars great LITTLE watch, November 29, 2009
I recently received this watch out in Iraq. It's taken some(alot) of dust, minimal water(shower), dings and hits in the gym and constant uniform changes(pins feel very secure). I can't yet put a scratch on it, I don't think I'll resort to a knife to do so. The alarm wakes me up and the large indigo display is great for a quick glance. It's very easy to figure out(11b) and program. It's just a tad thin when looked at on my wrist, but if you don't mind function over form, it's not terribly noticeable...given I am over 200 lbs, if it's not a huge g-force obsenity, it's bound to look small. I highly recommend it for anyone who prefers fabric bands.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome watch, but band is a bit small, April 21, 2011
My first concern was that the band wouldn't fit over my hand unless I completely undid the velcro. The band was still a bit smaller than I'd like for my wrist size(the reason for 4 stars instead of 5), but I went ahead and started using it.
Setup was pretty standard. The one thing that I just got "WOWED" by was the alarm, prompting me to write this review. You have the standard alarm features PLUS the option of Daily, Weekday only or weekends only. That is the first time on a digital watch that I've ever seen this type of option. Personally I think this feature is brilliant on a watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, simple watch..., February 1, 2010
Rob C. (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
All I wanted was a digital watch that had a few functions (timer, alarms, 2 time zones), was no-fuss (the velcro "FastWrap" strap is a cinch), and was something I didn't worry about banging against a rock or getting wet when I was outdoors. This watch has been through a lot and "keeps on ticking!" One small note - the strap can get a bit "funky" after wearing it for a few weeks/months, but I just scrub with some dish soap and an old toothbrush, let it air dry overnight, and problem solved! Oh, and BTW, this is my second watch of the same model - the first lasted over 5 years of banging, smacking and soaking... :-)

1.0 out of 5 stars What was once great is now garbage, September 2, 2014
I bought this watch in 2009, wore it for 5 years and loved it. Never took it off, used it around the world. When it finally got so beat up it needed replacing, I bought the same watch. I used it the same way for three months, except I never went in the ocean or even a pool. Now it's got water in it from merely wearing it in the shower, the Indiglo is dead, and it looks worse than the one it replaced. I'm very disappointed to say this watch is rubbish. I would give it zero stars if the site allowed it. This is my last Expedition, Timex. Did you save a quarter with a new contractor? They (and you) ruined a great watch.

Expedition Full Pusher Cat Black Silver