Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 7, 2010 7:33:14 AM PDT
Why would I pay $14 for the e-book? I can't do anything with it when I'm done reading. I can't give it to someone else to read. I can't donate it to my local library. I can't sell it. Publishers -- you are charging too much for the e-book!

I could justify $10 as the book was quick to get and convenient to read on my Kindle. At $14, it's just $1.50 less than the hardcover which is a physical book that I own. I can't justify paying the higher price.

Posted on Oct 7, 2010 10:43:11 AM PDT
I agree with you fully! I do not think it is an Amazon pricing issue, but the publishers now have more power because of the Kindle, Nook, iPad, Sony e-reader and others coming out.

At first Amazon told the publisher's that $9.99 was the price for a "best seller", but after Apple came out with the iPad they allowed publisher's to charge more their the books and only offering it on the iPad. This action caused a change in Amazon policy.

Sometimes completion does not always work in the consumer favor!

Posted on Oct 14, 2010 12:58:38 PM PDT
cristobal says:
Not anymore. It's 9.99 now. I just grabbed it.

Posted on Oct 21, 2010 8:09:09 PM PDT
The Nerd says:
It seemed like the prices of most new eBooks rose dramatically at the same time the 139.00 Kindle was released. That's why I still haven't bought the Kindle. These books can be bought second hand in very good condition for under $10.00, even after factoring in 3.99 for shipping, if you're willing to wait a few months.

Posted on Nov 1, 2010 12:35:19 PM PDT
Denise says:
Well, the price has gone down to $9.99 now.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2011 4:30:13 PM PST
Exactly what I was going to post before I saw that you were there first.

And it's not just this book. Many Amazon titles cost more on Kindle than hardcover, never mind paperback.

I'm sure that Amazon has sophisticated software to determine prices and what the market will bear, but I'm not bearing this one.

Posted on Mar 18, 2011 8:16:36 AM PDT
NewYorker says:
I think everyone who purchased a Kindle knew that the pricing was like... which is exactly why I haven't bought one myself! The Kindle version is usually less expensive than the hardcover, but then the paperback comes out and that's even less than the Kindle! Doesn't make sense, except Amazon is laughing all way to the bank! I'd still like a Kindle, but not if the books stay as high priced as they are now, especially when you can't do anything with the book afterwards! Amazon needs to make these e-versions so the user can sell or trade-in or something.

Posted on May 11, 2011 6:43:16 AM PDT
oodles says:
I don't think I'll likely buy a kindle, partly because of the pricing and partly because I really do prefer a physical book. That said the kindle app on android phones is free, very handy, and on a device I'd have bought and am carrying around anyhow. So I bought a few books to always have with me. Progress is slow, but it's quite handy when stuck waiting somewhere.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Oct 7, 2010
Latest post:  May 11, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about