5.0 out of 5 stars Great improvement
The ExpertPower 14.4 dual band antenna replaced the 7 inch HT antenna the came on my Wouxun 2 Meter/440 mHz HT. I been checking into 2 meter ham net for months. I have had to go outside the apartment to hit get into the repeater.
Published 23 months ago by Jim Howard NUWY

1.0 out of 5 stars DANGER! DO NOT USE!
While this antenna is advertised as dual-band, I tested it in two different antenna analyzers, and both gave the same result: acceptable Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) of 1.2 in the UHF range. But in the 2m (146 MHz) range, this antenna has an SWR of 5. If you use this antenna to transmit on 2M frequencies, you run the risk of damaging your radio.

For sake of...
Published 15 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great improvement, December 5, 2012
This review is from: ExpertPower TW-ANHZA435_RH771 14.5-Inch Dual Band 144/430Mhz U/V SMA-F Antenna for BAOFENG UV-5R (Black) (Electronics)
After getting the ExpertPower 14.4 antenna when I checked into the net I was going to mention that I had a new antenna but as soon as I checked in the net control station said "N0UWY your signal is excellent tonight." He said it was the best check in that he had heard from me!
Since then I check in from inside the apartment and hit the repeater with a strong signal.
The net is on 2 meters. So I know the ExpertPower 14.4 is better on 2 meters than the stock antenna that came with the Wouxun HT.

5.0 out of 5 stars ExpertPower 14.4" Dual Band Two-way Radio Antenna SMA-Female, June 7, 2013
KK4QBN (Chatsworth, GA) - See all my reviews
Installed the Antenna on my BaoFeng UV-B5, The antenna is a great fit. The stock antenna for the B-5 is a pretty good antenna to be stock, But since I installed this antenna I can tell a great difference I recieved a great signal report on a repeater around 45 miles away in hilly terrain, I could not hear that repeater, much less key it up with my stock antenna, I'm also getting great signal reports on my local repeaters (up to 20 miles away) too. I did notice that this antenna picks up a little more noise than the stock antenna when you are mobile and the radio is in your vehicle, I've yet to try any satellites but I will soon, I picked up the noaa 19 weather satellite on one of its passes and the signal was 9/10 so in my opinion this antenna is a great buy, I will be ordering another.

*** Edit ***

I forgot to mention, This antenna also fits my Baofeng UV-5R+ like a glove, It fits both radios great.

Baofeng 2013 Newest Dual Band VHF and UHF 5W Walkie Talkie Baofeng UV-B5

BaoFeng *UV-5R Plus* UV 5R+ Dual-Band 136-174/400-480 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio, Improved Stronger Case, More Rich and Enhanced Features (2013 Enhanced Version)

1.0 out of 5 stars DANGER! DO NOT USE!, August 16, 2013

For sake of comparison, I also tested the Baofeng UV-5r stock antenna. It gives acceptable SWRs in both the VHF and UHF ranges.

I used an MFJ SWR meter paired with my Baofeng UV-5r, as well as an MFJ antenna analyzer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very excellent antenna, April 11, 2013
I bought this antenna a few months ago for my Baofeng UV-5RA. The stock rubber duck antenna obviously does not perform very well, so I was in want for something better. I decided on this and when I got it, I noticed an immediate improvement over my stock antenna. I live right on the edge of my local repeater effective range for a 5 watt HT, so I'm in the perfect spot to give a comparison on the performance of this. Before, I couldn't even hit the repeater and I could just barely do it outside my house... sometimes. But this antenna has allowed me much greater range than before. I still need to go outside my house if I want people to hear me clearly, but it still works fairly well inside. Like a lot of other repeaters out there, there are two tail tones that let you know how well you're getting into it, and I can usually get the weak signal tail tone anywhere in my house which before was impossible. I've also compared this to other HT 2 meter antennas like the Diamond, and I haven't been able to notice any significant difference in performance (if any difference at all).

My only caution to people considering this antenna is that it is slightly on the large side for an HT antenna, but your performance is sure to be improved. It's hard to use in the car because you have to angle the radio sideways just so that the antenna won't hit anything. But you should be using a mobile rig for that anyway ;) So overall, this is a very good antenna that can increase your effective range at least by a few miles, and if you're considering it, I encourage you to buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice for the money, January 1, 2013
This antenna seems to do great outside, but inside a building or car it picks up a bit more "steam" or static here and there, depending on where I am in the house, or where I'm holding it in my car. If you are flexible on where to use it, you will be fine. If you will be using this outside, it will be perfect.

I haven't tried to transmit via Simplex to compare it at any given distance to the rubber duck, but I hope to do so soon. Hard to beat for the price. (seems like an inexpensive version/copy of a more expensive antenna) Quality and build seem to be top notch. No problems in using or connecting to my Baofeng UV-5RE.

Standing the small hand-held Baofeng radio on its bottom side with the rubber duck (stock) antenna, it is not top heavy and stands up just fine. With this longer antenna on it, it seems to risk tipping over more, due to this antenna effectively raising the center of mass, and with such a small footprint, it doesn't stay standing for long if whatever it is standing on gets wobbly. It is best to use the belt clip to attach it to something large, or just put it in a place where it doesn't tip over. Better yet, keep it in your hand, as that is what it was designed for... in which case you won't have any problems.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I'd hoped, July 28, 2013
D. Good (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
These antennas are about 14" long, and I expected them to perform better than the 8" Nagoya NA-701 antennas I had on my Baofeng UV5RA radios. Unfortunately, I was able to talk to a repeater 21.5 miles away using the smaller Nayoga antenna, but this antenna barely made the transmission. The friend I was talking to heard a definite improvement with the Nagoya NA-701 antenna over the ExpertPower. If I had it to do over, I would stick with the Nagoyas and not even buy these. While this antenna is probably an improvement over the relatively poor OEM rubber duck that comes with the UV5RA radio, the fact that it's longer than the Nagoya but delivers less performance means only one thing -- buy a Nagoya NA-701 and pass on this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Works fine for 70cm but is pretty useless for 2m on both the Tx and Rx, July 12, 2013
I purchased this for my Baofeng UV 5R+ as a replacement/ upgrade to the stock rubber duck. It looks very solid and well built, but the performance is anything but what I would expect out of an antenna that boasts the gain increase that this one does. On the 440 side it does well, about the same as the rubber duck that came with the HT, but on the 2 meter end it is virtually useless. Not only can I not hit repeaters or get any coverage for simplex, it won't pick up local repeaters Rx. If I switch back and forth between this and the stock antenna I go from hearing people chat to absolute silence.

Very disappointed, perhaps I just got a bad copy of this model since other reviewers seem to have great success with it. As soon as I get an SMAf adapter I'll hook it up to an SWR meter and see what it says.

1.0 out of 5 stars longer ant. for Baofeng UV5RA dual band handheld, August 19, 2013
I live in a large city in Ohio.I used this a couple nights to scan all bands & picked up nothing but local NOAA weather. So I tried again after finding local Hams chatting on a repeater with the stock ant.With the squelch set on 1(lowest). I lost the signal all together. I then used an adapter cable & hooked it to my motorcycle CB band ant.(2 ft.)& was about the same as stock,parked inside the garage. Appearance is nice, function is VERY poor. If I had saved the packaging, I would return it, but the price was so low, it's hardly worth the time & effort.....

I Would NOT recommend this to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective gain and decent quailty, April 6, 2013
I added this antenna to my UV5-R and did some back-to-back antenna tests to a local repeater. It obviously out-performed the stock short antenna but interestingly it out performed (by a bit) a Kenwood HT with a high-gain tri-band (and expensive) antenna as well. And while 14.4" is kinda long it packs well because its so flexible.

Good antenna, works well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice addition, December 13, 2012
Jenny J.G.Hunter (Denver, N.C. United States) - See all my reviews
This was added to my UV-5R and works well enough. It makes the radio a little top heavy but I am adding the extra capacity battery pack so that should return a good balance.