5.0 out of 5 stars Great improvement
The ExpertPower 14.4 dual band antenna replaced the 7 inch HT antenna the came on my Wouxun 2 Meter/440 mHz HT. I been checking into 2 meter ham net for months. I have had to go outside the apartment to hit get into the repeater.
Published on December 5, 2012 by Jim Howard

1.0 out of 5 stars DANGER! DO NOT USE!
While this antenna is advertised as dual-band, I tested it in two different antenna analyzers, and both gave the same result: acceptable Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) of 1.2 in the UHF range. But in the 2m (146 MHz) range, this antenna has an SWR of 5. If you use this antenna to transmit on 2M frequencies, you run the risk of damaging your radio.

For sake of...
Published 17 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great improvement, December 5, 2012
This review is from: ExpertPower TW-ANHZA435_RH771 14.5-Inch Dual Band 144/430Mhz U/V SMA-F Antenna for BAOFENG UV-5R (Black) (Electronics)
After getting the ExpertPower 14.4 antenna when I checked into the net I was going to mention that I had a new antenna but as soon as I checked in the net control station said "N0UWY your signal is excellent tonight." He said it was the best check in that he had heard from me!
Since then I check in from inside the apartment and hit the repeater with a strong signal.
The net is on 2 meters. So I know the ExpertPower 14.4 is better on 2 meters than the stock antenna that came with the Wouxun HT.

5.0 out of 5 stars ExpertPower® 14.4" Dual Band Two-way Radio Antenna SMA-Female, June 7, 2013
Installed the Antenna on my BaoFeng UV-B5, The antenna is a great fit. The stock antenna for the B-5 is a pretty good antenna to be stock, But since I installed this antenna I can tell a great difference I recieved a great signal report on a repeater around 45 miles away in hilly terrain, I could not hear that repeater, much less key it up with my stock antenna, I'm also getting great signal reports on my local repeaters (up to 20 miles away) too. I did notice that this antenna picks up a little more noise than the stock antenna when you are mobile and the radio is in your vehicle, I've yet to try any satellites but I will soon, I picked up the noaa 19 weather satellite on one of its passes and the signal was 9/10 so in my opinion this antenna is a great buy, I will be ordering another.

*** Edit ***

I forgot to mention, This antenna also fits my Baofeng UV-5R+ like a glove, It fits both radios great.

Baofeng 2013 Newest Dual Band VHF and UHF 5W Walkie Talkie Baofeng UV-B5

BaoFeng *UV-5R Plus* UV 5R+ Dual-Band 136-174/400-480 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio, Improved Stronger Case, More Rich and Enhanced Features (2013 Enhanced Version)

4.0 out of 5 stars Small price, big improvement!!, June 14, 2013
I had been using the stock antenna on my Baofeng UV5R+. It seemed to work ok, but was way too stiff. bend the wrong way while carrying it and SNAP!!! There goes the antenna along with the radio. I wanted something that was flexible, and if it had better performance it would be a bonus. I found this Expert Power "7.56" Dual band antenna here on Amazon. Although i was a little skeptical because of the price i deceided to give it a try because it seemed to be just what i needed. I received the antenna very quickly. It was flexible and lightweight which was just what i wanted. I installed it into the radio and it fit like a glove, nice and snug down into the radio mount with no gaps. It actually looks like it was made for the radio (factory). I immediately noticed a marked improvement in my receive power. Distant stations and repeaters that i had been listening to were now louder and more clear. My transmitt power also improved, repeaters that i had been barely pushing, were now reading me loud and clear. The antenna is perfect for everyday carry, not too big and very flexible. It is well worth the price. I wouldn't recommend it if i wasn't satisfied. Go ahead and get one..you'll be glad you did!

1.0 out of 5 stars DANGER! DO NOT USE!, August 16, 2013

For sake of comparison, I also tested the Baofeng UV-5r stock antenna. It gives acceptable SWRs in both the VHF and UHF ranges.

I used an MFJ SWR meter paired with my Baofeng UV-5r, as well as an MFJ antenna analyzer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very excellent antenna, April 11, 2013
I bought this antenna a few months ago for my Baofeng UV-5RA. The stock rubber duck antenna obviously does not perform very well, so I was in want for something better. I decided on this and when I got it, I noticed an immediate improvement over my stock antenna. I live right on the edge of my local repeater effective range for a 5 watt HT, so I'm in the perfect spot to give a comparison on the performance of this. Before, I couldn't even hit the repeater and I could just barely do it outside my house... sometimes. But this antenna has allowed me much greater range than before. I still need to go outside my house if I want people to hear me clearly, but it still works fairly well inside. Like a lot of other repeaters out there, there are two tail tones that let you know how well you're getting into it, and I can usually get the weak signal tail tone anywhere in my house which before was impossible. I've also compared this to other HT 2 meter antennas like the Diamond, and I haven't been able to notice any significant difference in performance (if any difference at all).

My only caution to people considering this antenna is that it is slightly on the large side for an HT antenna, but your performance is sure to be improved. It's hard to use in the car because you have to angle the radio sideways just so that the antenna won't hit anything. But you should be using a mobile rig for that anyway ;) So overall, this is a very good antenna that can increase your effective range at least by a few miles, and if you're considering it, I encourage you to buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice for the money, January 1, 2013
This antenna seems to do great outside, but inside a building or car it picks up a bit more "steam" or static here and there, depending on where I am in the house, or where I'm holding it in my car. If you are flexible on where to use it, you will be fine. If you will be using this outside, it will be perfect.

I haven't tried to transmit via Simplex to compare it at any given distance to the rubber duck, but I hope to do so soon. Hard to beat for the price. (seems like an inexpensive version/copy of a more expensive antenna) Quality and build seem to be top notch. No problems in using or connecting to my Baofeng UV-5RE.

Standing the small hand-held Baofeng radio on its bottom side with the rubber duck (stock) antenna, it is not top heavy and stands up just fine. With this longer antenna on it, it seems to risk tipping over more, due to this antenna effectively raising the center of mass, and with such a small footprint, it doesn't stay standing for long if whatever it is standing on gets wobbly. It is best to use the belt clip to attach it to something large, or just put it in a place where it doesn't tip over. Better yet, keep it in your hand, as that is what it was designed for... in which case you won't have any problems.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I'd hoped, July 28, 2013
D. Good (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
These antennas are about 14" long, and I expected them to perform better than the 8" Nagoya NA-701 antennas I had on my Baofeng UV5RA radios. Unfortunately, I was able to talk to a repeater 21.5 miles away using the smaller Nayoga antenna, but this antenna barely made the transmission. The friend I was talking to heard a definite improvement with the Nagoya NA-701 antenna over the ExpertPower. If I had it to do over, I would stick with the Nagoyas and not even buy these. While this antenna is probably an improvement over the relatively poor OEM rubber duck that comes with the UV5RA radio, the fact that it's longer than the Nagoya but delivers less performance means only one thing -- buy a Nagoya NA-701 and pass on this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars great antenna, July 12, 2013
i couldn't believe for $2.55 i would get a good gain antenna , mainly just looking for back-up to the antenna that came with radio. i bought 2 of them . i have been ham operator for 20 years and i'm impressed , no kidding , i have spent 10 times as much for other brands that don't do this good. for as small as there are they work really well with the compact uv-5ra radio , that i bought 2 of . would recommend good price , they do work and look very well constructed .

5.0 out of 5 stars 7.56" dual band antenna, October 18, 2012
I must say this antenna is pretty good! especially like the price for it. I say I can get more gain with this antenna then the hard stock antenna that comes with the Baofeng UV-5rPlus I would advise anyone that needs a sma female to purchase this!! I like how flexible it it. this antenna is for the VHF/UHF frequencies.

2.0 out of 5 stars Works fine for 70cm but is pretty useless for 2m on both the Tx and Rx, July 12, 2013
I purchased this for my Baofeng UV 5R+ as a replacement/ upgrade to the stock rubber duck. It looks very solid and well built, but the performance is anything but what I would expect out of an antenna that boasts the gain increase that this one does. On the 440 side it does well, about the same as the rubber duck that came with the HT, but on the 2 meter end it is virtually useless. Not only can I not hit repeaters or get any coverage for simplex, it won't pick up local repeaters Rx. If I switch back and forth between this and the stock antenna I go from hearing people chat to absolute silence.

Very disappointed, perhaps I just got a bad copy of this model since other reviewers seem to have great success with it. As soon as I get an SMAf adapter I'll hook it up to an SWR meter and see what it says.