Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 135 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 16, 2011 2:25:38 PM PDT
Newsflash.

Just saw this on JE's website. She is publishing another Plum book in 2011. It's called Explosive Eighteen. (What no cutsey have the readers name the book contest?) The release date is November 22. Can't wait for those excerpts.

See for yourself on JE's website: http://www.evanovich.com/
And on Random House's website: http://www.randomhouse.com/book/210116/untitled-evanovich-by-janet-evanovich

Do we file this under WTF? Your thoughts?

Posted on Jun 16, 2011 4:37:33 PM PDT
Elisa says:
My thoughts are WTF? I wanted her to rush less not more! Hey, if it's the end and she's found a good way to end it, I'm all for it. Somehow I don't think she'll wrap it up for a while though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2011 6:26:18 PM PDT
SusieJ says:
I don't think she'll ever wrap up the series. It's the family business. Even if she doesn't want to write it herself anymore (and who knows - maybe she isn't writing it now), Alex will take over or they'll hire a ghostwriter or she'll write with a "partner" who actually does all the work. If Random House drops her, they'll look for another publisher. Or maybe they'll convert it to a graphic novel format. (Yuck!) But I don't think we'll ever see "The End" of the series as long as Evanovich, Inc. can squeeze a nickel out of it.

The old June schedule for a Plum release was a holdover from St. Martins. Maybe Random House is just shifting the release dates for the Plum and Diesel series to better accomodate their marketing plans. I have grave doubts about JE's ability to turn out a high quality product in that amount of time. Like you, E. Dobler, I'd rather see her take more time and really come up with a good, well-written book. But I guess nobody makes any money if authors take all the time they need.

Another possible theory is that Random House wants to see a lot of changes in the Diesel series. Wicked Appetite was published by St. Martins. Maybe Random House wants major changes in it. So they'll have her churn out another quickie Plum book, then put all her effort revamping the Diesel series. Maybe they see the Diesel series as "the future" of Evanovich, Inc.

I'd love to hear from a Random House insider as to why this is being done. We need some juicy gossip!

Posted on Jun 16, 2011 8:13:05 PM PDT
Elisa says:
Have there ever been any Random House insiders around here?

Posted on Jun 16, 2011 11:28:36 PM PDT
SusieJ says:
No Random House insiders, E. Dobler. But we used to have someone who seemed to have some publishing industry inside knowledge.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2011 5:54:41 AM PDT
Yeah, where is our "insider" these days?

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 8:28:18 AM PDT
Wow. Thanks Dyan - I saw your notification on this book over at the seventeen forum. It is intriguing news for me. I'm just wistfully hopeful that Random House manages to breath some life into my beloved Stephanie Plum. I haven't even ordered Seventeen and I didn't put my name on the library waitlist like usual. I'm just going to wait and see how the reviews stack up I guess.

I don't know what to think. When did the old "Betweeners" used to be published? It doesn't sound like one of those since it has the eighteen name.

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 10:52:45 AM PDT
bevybean says:
Yeah. I saw this news too. I think it is a "WTF?" I can't even determined if I'm upset because it probably means she churned out both 17 & 18 very quickly. Or if I'm excited because it could imply that the only reason Random House signed her on was if she agreed to end Plum and move on to something else as a focus. The "wicked" series perhaps. I would think that a big publishing house wouldn't want to share a series if at all possible. I could see them wanting to keep fans happy by giving the series a good finish, but not wanting to continue much beyond that. But then, I'm not an insider.

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 11:48:10 AM PDT
I did notice today that St. Martin's put the Kindle prices on Plum books 12 to 15 @ $2.99. I wonder if they'll do an Evanovich backlist sale everytime she has a new release. I kind of wondered why they didn't do the earlier books too.

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 8:44:45 PM PDT
I'm definitely not an insider, nor do I have any kind of personal knowledge on what the books will be about, but I have a feeling (my spidey sense is tingling you could say) that Seventeen might have a surprise ending. Maybe a Ranger ending. Maybe Random House saw that this major character has yet to really be explored and a relationship between him and Steph is a potential gold mine. If seventeen ends with a Ranger relationship, the preorders for eighteen will be through the roof (at least with my circle of friends, haha).

Okay, I'm just a hopeful (hopeless?) Ranger lover. I can't wait for the new books.

Posted on Jun 19, 2011 2:38:39 PM PDT
A. Gaa says:
I'm thinking that the current books are half the length of the first 12 books. While I'm not experienced in writing I have wrote some ff (never published, my grammar is so bad I'm just to ashamed) but the book length isn't what it once was. I'm guessing 18 wasn't as taxing as most especially if 18 is just rounding up loose ends from 18 + books.

Posted on Jun 20, 2011 7:03:29 PM PDT
Heather says:
There is also a movie tie-in book for One for the Money releasing about the same time - I wonder if they are doing Eighteen for promotional purposes?

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 9:31:47 PM PDT
If it's Ranger, that's the last Evanovich book I'll buy. I hated it when she had those trysts with Ranger in 18. Here's my feeling:Ranger won't marry her. She wouldn''t fit in his life. He'll be glad to give her unending sex. Joe is Burg and she's always going to be Burg. Maybe she'll just remain single and slut her way around town. She and Joe could open their own detective agency, so she would still have adventure and not be "just a Burg Housewife"

Posted on Jun 26, 2011 12:34:40 AM PDT
Shirley, just because Joe and Stephanie grew up in the Burg does not mean that they are suited to each other or what the same things. If Stephanie wanted to be a Burg wife and mother, she would be, but she resists it at every stage. IMO the only times that she comtemplates marriage and children is when she's pushed up against a wall in a case and is mentally looking for an out. When she's not in a stressful situation, Stephanie's intersest in a traditional Burg life is virtually nil.

As for the unending sex, Stephanie's relationship with Joe is primarily about sex. Their history was based on sex, inapropriate as the early incidents were. The relationship that was consummated in book 4 was about sex and mutually satisfying needs and it is still basically one booty call after another.

As for Joe and Stephanie opening their own detective agency, not sure about that. JE has never indicated in the books that Joe has an interest in setting up shop for himself. Joe, as a Trenton PD cop, is already a paid detective with a regular income stream, benefits and pension. I don't see him as giving up his pension 10 years into the job to hang out his own shingle and work with Stephanie.

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 10:40:01 AM PDT
bevybean says:
DyanSwan -- I still have to disagree with how you see the Joe/Steph relationship. When Valerie was getting married, Joe was supportive of what Steph was going through and tried to help her out. However, still let Steph handle things the way she wanted --like not ratting her out about the whole cello thing. And really, to watch your truck and garage get blown up and have your girlfriend doa little happy dance about it because the cello was in the truck and NOT get mad about it. That definitely falls in the support category. It is way beyond just one booty call after another.

To turn your own example around, if Joe just wanted a booty call, there are plenty of other women who'd be willing to give it to him with far fewer broken bones and other complications.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 1:29:52 PM PDT
bevybean, I see you point. But for me that was an incidence where Joe showed his support. I don't usually find him supportative. Joe and Stephanie's relationship started out as sexual and has, in my eyes, remained a series of booty calls.

I don't think that we will agree on Joe, ever. But I do value your point of view, since I always find that your comments add to the conversations on the various Plum discussion boards.

Posted on Jun 28, 2011 9:37:22 AM PDT
bevybean says:
Thank you! And I'm glad you didn't see that as an attempt to dismiss or change your status as a Babe. (I was worried it sounded harsh.)

Posted on Jun 28, 2011 9:56:37 AM PDT
Once you go Babe, you never go back :)

Posted on Jun 28, 2011 10:03:15 AM PDT
Sometimes I want Stephanie to pick between the two but then what! I thought 17 was the best one in the last few. I was like needing to read 18. I can't ever tell if Joe really loves her or not. I do feel Ranger does because he seems to take care of her at times. Maybe there will be a third man???? Do we want her to settle down with one and then loose the series??? I think I at some point I will. I want to see more of her sister and husband in a book. I was very happy with 17,

Posted on Jun 28, 2011 2:42:22 PM PDT
CeruleanInks says:
Don't you think something needs to change though? I mean, the books are all the same. The skips & their hijinks may change and the bad guy of the main plot line, but everything else stays the same. It's been a while since she's introduced a new main character that will be here to stay for a while. It wouldn't be the end of the world if one of the semi-main characters (Lula, Grandma, Vinnie, Connie, Mooner, etc) had some kind of drastic change or was even killed off. It's just all kind of repetitive right now for me.

The comment above about Joe & Stephanie going into the P.I. business together would at least be a significant change & mix it up a little, even if it didn't last. I think it's time to explore some new avenues here- nothing drastic. Because these are essentially turning into the same book. Sure, it's worked this long for the most part but how much longer can it go on if you don't give your readers something to keep the interest fresh? Just my opinion.

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 9:33:22 AM PDT
Stefanie says:
Honestly, I am wondering how the next book is going to be written as well. I agree, Janet Evanovich does have the basic plot line all the time. Just different situations, people and etc. Yet those situations are usually described in such a way in which I find myself laughing. I enjoy her descriptive writing technique, so you can visualize the actual scene yourself. I do continue to read because I want to see who she would pick out of the two men. It is the third man, from her previous books(Diesel), who is the perfect combination of Morelli and Ranger. I believe he was a test flight, so to speak, in her previous books to see how her fans would handle having that fly in the ointment (yes, another cliche...sorry). It would be interesting to see Janet Evanovich bring him into her new book again and give her fans a bit more complexity to her books. It could be the right catalyst for the other two men in Stephanie Plum's life, not to mention Stephanie herself.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2011 10:14:46 AM PDT
thisredheadrocks, I want a tee-shirt that says "Once you go Babe, you never go back." : )

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2011 10:42:35 AM PDT
I do, too!

Posted on Jul 10, 2011 3:54:20 PM PDT
Hi! Some of us lament what has happened to the Plum series since Ranger said at the end of Twelve Sharp, "One Ranger is all you need."

We thought it would be fun to re-read Books 1 through 12, in order and discuss them.

We look forward to lively discussions that include divergent points of view and thoughtful insights into the books and characters. Please feel free to join the forum.

The link is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/cd/discussion.html/ref=cm_cd_rvt_np?ie=UTF8&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx3FPY0LDS3J2OQ#CustomerDiscussionsNew

Posted on Jul 12, 2011 2:54:33 PM PDT
June E Hall says:
I wonder who the person Stephanie knows she wants to take a vacation with!!! Using the air line coupons that she aquired on the last page of "17" ?? Any Ideas?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  42
Total posts:  135
Initial post:  Jun 16, 2011
Latest post:  May 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Explosive Eighteen: A Stephanie Plum Novel (Stephanie Plum Novels)
Explosive Eighteen: A Stephanie Plum Novel (Stephanie Plum Novels) by Janet Evanovich (Hardcover - November 22, 2011)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (1,472)