Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$5.99

on December 20, 1999
On the run from her past, Emma and daughter Gracie, stop in Port Flannery, Washington. Emma meets Sheriff Elvis Donnelly. The attraction between physically-flawed Elvis, and practically-perfect Emma is what makes this book so good. Emma's a truly strong heroine; and, Elvis is less confident in himself, than most heros in the romantic suspense genre.
When Emma's past catches up with her, Elvis becomes Emma's and Gracie's protector. Little surprizes occur, that keep the suspense and action moving.
This is an excellent book. And while not as dark as Ms. Andersen's earliest books (Obsession, Present Danger, Shadow Dance), it's nothing like either of her "Baby" books. Humor is very subtle.
on April 19, 2000
I bought my first Susan Andersen book after I saw the cover (Be My Baby). I am so glad I "judged a book by its cover"! Now I am addicted to her books which have all been super. I love the craziness and sexiness of the plots/characters. As usual, I neglected my children for the three days it took to finish Exposure. While I'm swinging them with my right hand, I have her book in my left. SUSAN - PLEASE DON'T STOP WRITING SUCH WITTY WONDERFUL BOOKS!
P.S. I have turned my two sisters on to your books and they read them while on the train going to and from work in Downtown Chicago and find themselves embarassed from laughing out loud unexpectedly.
on November 26, 1997
EXPOSURE is the first Susan Andersen title I've read, and I'm coming back for more! I've long been a fan of romantic suspense, and EXPOSURE is very satisfying on many levels. The plot line isn't terribly innovative, but the execution is terrific! The characterizations are refreshingly different, even a little offbeat. The dialogue is wonderful, realistic and advances the story line without being forced. The sexually related encounters are fun, poignant, and ring true. All in all, this novel has just made my Top Ten list.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 13, 2012
I first read EXPOSURE back in 1996, and ever since then it's been on my keeper shelf. For me, it's a sentimental favorite, a comfort book/hero I know practically by heart, as I usually reach for it and read it about twice a year. It has so many things I love and enjoy in romance: 1) a cop hero, 2) some suspense, 3) a woman on the run, 4) an obsessed/stalkerish baddie, and most of all, 5) a big alpha male protector. I love Sheriff Elvis Donnelly. If I could snap my fingers and make him magically appear, I would.

Elvis is that stoic alpha male, tough and controlled. He's a 6'6 reformed bad boy who also falls into that scarred and imperfect hero category. He lost part of an arm in an explosion and has an angry facial scar and a prosthesis/hook to show for it. He's definite wounded hero material. Not only does Elvis have the physical scars, he's also got deeper, less visible ones, ones that make him vulnerable, causing him to question why the heroine would want him, "as if a babe like this one would ever give an ugly sonofab*tch like him a second glance anyway." We get a lot of this story from his POV, and you see just how much Elvis wants to have someone, how much he wants Emma, how much he wants it all.

Although not an 'erotic' read, the sexual tension and attraction between him and Emma is strong and bristles on the page. It's exciting and needful, and the action is more about the build-up and about Elvis jonesing for Emma. He wants her bad, and you can feel that. <"The next thing she knew, she was being yanked down to straddle his lap. His hook flashed with speed of light to clip into the back belt-loop of her jeans and the rest of the prosthesis pressed her hard against him. His right fist tangled in her hair. It gripped tight and pulled- ripping her mouth away from his."> And this was all just a kiss and some heavy petting.

Everytime these two interact, whether it's arguing and fighting, or kissing and then finally getting it on, you feel that chemistry and that energy between them. But you also feel that a romance truly develops between them as well. There are tender moments, longing moments, and sweet moments. I enjoyed it all. I even enjoyed Emma's Cajun accent and her precocious little girl, Gracie, although I know these two aspects of the story bothered some readers. I enjoyed Emma being curvy, tough and Southern, and I thought Gracie was cute, maybe verging a little on too adorable, but she was still cute to me, calling Elvis her 'Elbis.' Elvis fell hard for her, too.

There's romance, sweet and sexy in feel, and there's some exciting action and suspense as danger and obsession follow Emma and little Gracie, plus a lot of other stuff already happening there in Port Flannery. All this with a scarred but hunky and very protective alpha male hero to preside over it all. He is the King after all, and one of my very favorite heroes.
review image
on January 27, 2000
After finding disturbing tapes in the office of the man she loved as her father Emma Sands takes her darling three year old daughter and flees New Orleans. Where they end up is almost like a world away.
When Emma accidentally gets off on the wrong island in Washington State's beautiful San Juan Islands she plans to just get her car fixed and take off again. But things don't always go as planned. After an argument with the car mechanic Emma finds herself agreeing to rent a room at a boarding house for one week. That is all she planned to stay.
After Sherriff Elvis Donnelly lost his hand and scarred his face in a Seattle car bombing, he returns to Port Flannery, Washington to become sherriff. Always considered the bad kid in town, Elvis has a hard time finding acceptance. When he first sees Emma he is instantly attracted.
Emma and Elvis's relationship start out on the wrong foot almost immediately and the two clash. Elvis is immediately suspicious that she is running from someone or something. When an incident with his own mother confirms his thoughts he refuses to allow Emma to leave town.
Emma and Elvis fall in love and when the man Emma is fleeing from finally finds her Elvis vows to protect Emma and her daughter Gracie.
I truly enjoyed Emma and Elvis's story and I think you will too. Set just miles from my own hometown I could tell that Susan Andersen definetly does her research. The Pacific Northwest IS a beautiful place to visit, especially in the summertime when the days last until after 9 p.m. Susan Andersen made me yearn for another Pacific Northwest summer and a trip to the islands.
on December 26, 1999
I liked this book. Emma is a memorable character, and all major characters in this book are 3-dimensional. My only problem is with the forced dialects of Emma and Grace(I had a similar problem with Be My Baby). I don't know many Cajun Southerners, but I don't care for the generic terms of affection- cher, chere, cherie etc.,. And trying to read any intelligence out of Grace's baby "tawk" is nearly impossible. I know small children have trouble with certain consonents, but can't that be more subtly inferred with simple, monosyllabic phrases? If not for the language factor, this book is top rate. It is fast paced, witty, and the characters relate to each other in a realistic way. Worth a purchase!
on December 3, 2000
This book is wonderful. Like many of the reviewers, I usually am more annoyed then anything with kids in books especially talking baby talk. But this little girl is so cleverly portrayed. What makes her special is her constant defense of Elvis the hero in the story. He is badly scarred and disfigured but she will defend him to the end because he is handsome to her. The characters are great and so likeable. I like Emma who is strong and stands up for herself. I like the little girl which surprised me. The romance is great. The suspense doesn't really heat up til the end but when it does...look out! I was so into it I wished I could jump in the book and join in the fight! It's a rare book that gets you so involved. I highly recommend this book. It's a keeper.
VINE VOICEon October 13, 2004
I loved this book.

Emma Sands is running from her childhood benefactor. She has found out that he is a voyour and has had camaras in every room of her house for the last 14 years.

Gracie is Emma's three year old daughter and she steals this book. Gracie is such a wonderful character, I just loved her. I laughed, I cried, I just can't get enough of this book I reread it at least once a month.

Elvis Donnally is the sheriff in Port Flannery, a small island off the coast of Washington St. His mom was the local hooker until he came back to town and was elected sheriff. He lost his hand in an explosion, and with a scar on his face most of the people in town leave him alone.

When this loner meets one beautiful blonde cajun lady and her irrepressable daughter, sparks fly. Acceptance is something he has not had on this island in his whole life. But Emma and Gracie hit the people on the island, and his heart with the force of an atom bomb.

Life should always be as full and as humerous as this book.
on October 29, 2000
Emma Sands car needs repairs and she is stuck in Washington State's Port Flannery, a remote fishing village. No one knows her there and it will be a good place for her and her daughter, Gracie, to hide for a few days. Emma is on the run from someone who is determined to ruin her life.
Big city cop, now a smalltown sheriff, Elvis Donnelly, is six foot five and the victim of a violent boyhood and a bomb blast that has left him somewhat handicapped. When he meets Emma, the attraction is instant but, can he keep her safe from her past?
This story is basically a good read with one annoying hitch. And her name is Gracie. Although she is a cute kid, I feel she had too much spotlight in this story. Emma and Elvis' relationship revolved around her. Conversations and love scenes were placed on the back burner because Gracie was around. And I have to agree with other reviewers that her vocabulary was quite extensive for a child just turning three. But if you can get past this, you might enjoy this story.
on December 6, 2012
I won't go into to much detail about the story as others have. Insteadi will say that the story line is strong and the character's are strongly developed and the plot line is also strong. I think where it starts to go wrong is in the artistic interpretation of accents and trying to get the reader to understand the way the writer imagined how they would sound. I found this to be extremely annoying. In the end I read it the way I wanted to read it and began to ignore the way it was written.
Even after all that I still gave it 3 stars because of how well the characters were developed and how strong the story line was. I would recommend this book if you are without anything to read and are able to overlook the way it was written and read it in a way that you are more comfortable with.